Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronald Plunk
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies if I'm being too dense...

I have a copy of the KS ODE that came in shrink (I did NOT participate in the KS).

1) is 6e as subset of ODE?

2) is there anything in 6e NOT in the ODE?

3) anything that was in the KS now available publicly?

Sometimes you just have to spell it out for me

Thanks,
Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No apologies necessary, that was a whale of a Kickstarter. Five years later, people are still talking about it...

1 - Yes.

2 - There might be a piece of artwork that's different somewhere, but no units, scenarios, rules. Maybe a different Ogre name.

3 - There was a *lot* in the KS. Some of it is now available publicly, some never will be. Some isn't even out yet. We can help if you narrow your question, or go check the thread about all the KS items promised and you can see which are done and which are still pending and see how to get the ones you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
2 - There might be a piece of artwork that's different somewhere, but no units, scenarios, rules. Maybe a different Ogre name.

The shade of red used for the red Ogres is different and the 6e Ogre record sheets look much nicer.

But those are simply aesthetics. No, i'm not grumpy about them at all. Why would you ever think so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rallypoint wrote:

Sometimes you just have to spell it out for me

This article does exactly that. We hope it helps!

https://medium.com/@SJGames/comparing-the-contents-of-ogre-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

No apologies necessary, that was a whale of a Kickstarter. Five years later, people are still talking about it...

Some of us are still having nightmares about it . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bits2Bytes wrote:
If you own 6e it will be possible, over time, to buy most of the components found in ODE.

Honestly, most of it is already out there. I have an article detailing this that will be posted in the relatively near future. Hang in there!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf90 wrote:
Bits2Bytes wrote:
If you own 6e it will be possible, over time, to buy most of the components found in ODE.

Honestly, most of it is already out there. I have an article detailing this that will be posted in the relatively near future. Hang in there!

D.

Really, the biggest hangup is not having the G.E.V. Maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:

Those have been available for years over on Warehouse 23:

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-giant-battlefield-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
granitepenguin wrote:

I know that, and you know that, but the general population does not. It's also an "until stock runs out" item. Owners of O6e won't have a real concept of these, either, because there's nothing to tell them "this is something you want." At the very least, there should have been a push with Ogre Reinforcements to tell people they exist, since at that point, you basically have G.E.V. - maps.

The other problem is $60. It would be a much easier pill for folks to swallow if you could buy individual maps (or even pairs). 90% of what's available from a scenario standpoint is centered around G1 and S1.

The third problem is it sounds like Reinforcements hasn't gotten much traction in the FLGS space, so the value of the maps for O6e-only owners is dramatically diminished. The real sweet spot of the Green maps is conventional vs. conventional with a sprinkling of the occasional Ogre, not just rehashing Smash the CP on different terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
granitepenguin wrote:

I know that, and you know that, but the general population does not. It's also an "until stock runs out" item. Owners of O6e won't have a real concept of these, either, because there's nothing to tell them "this is something you want." At the very least, there should have been a push with Ogre Reinforcements to tell people they exist, since at that point, you basically have G.E.V. - maps.

Fair enough, but there's also no rules in the 6E book for the new terrain, so offering those maps to 6E users would be a bit premature at this point (unless you want to also point them to the ODE rulebook PDF).

granitepenguin wrote:
The other problem is $60.

That's only part of the equation: you can nearly double that for non-US shipping, making it a no-go even for fanatics like myself.

granitepenguin wrote:
It would be a much easier pill for folks to swallow if you could buy individual maps (or even pairs). 90% of what's available from a scenario standpoint is centered around G1 and S1.

+1

granitepenguin wrote:
The third problem is it sounds like Reinforcements hasn't gotten much traction in the FLGS space, so the value of the maps for O6e-only owners is dramatically diminished.

i hadn't heard that. Having no FLGS to be loyal to, i'll buy games from whatever FIGS (where I=Internet) is offering them the cheapest. For SJ titles, that is typically Amazon (where i got the latest batch of Car Wars maps for cheaper than the base pledge during its Kickstarter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

Fair enough, but there's also no rules in the 6E book for the new terrain, so offering those maps to 6E users would be a bit premature at this point (unless you want to also point them to the ODE rulebook PDF).

Which I think is what's going to happen with Battlefields when it comes out. IIRC, a new, updated ODE rulebook with all the errata, units, etc will be associated with it.

That doesn't change the fact a simple raid scenario will be "off" because people still won't have the map it was meant to be played on (G1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Plunk
United States
San Bernardino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bits2Bytes wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
No, i'm not grumpy about them at all. Why would you ever think so?

Buy BOTH 6e and ODE, problem solved.

Thanks, SF... that's just what I did - sale at Amazon - still going on (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dt...).

I got 6e and 218... I'm getting Reinforcements thru the KS for the Ogre Mag.

And to Phillip Reed for the link - that helps set expectations...

I've checked out http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/ and already purchased up separately the Ogre Boardgamegeek Exclusive Unit Promo, the Ogre Boardgamegeek Exclusive Terrain Promo and Nihon Empire: North American Divisions....

So Wolf90 - looking forward to your article.

Thanks for all the support... I was unemployed when this KS came out and I had already asked for the "Ace of Aces" for a birthday present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rallypoint wrote:

I've checked out http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/sponsored-counters/ and already purchased up separately the Ogre Boardgamegeek Exclusive Unit Promo, the Ogre Boardgamegeek Exclusive Terrain Promo and Nihon Empire: North American Divisions....

I would definitely get Barbarians at the Gates, too. It has some really interesting scenarios, rules, etc. It's a very complete supplement, not just extra counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bits2Bytes wrote:
I stumbled across this article (written by Drew Metzger himself) that directly answers the question about 6e versus ODE:

https://medium.com/@SJGames/comparing-the-contents-of-ogre-s...

Enjoy!

Drew did an excellent job with that article. I am happy to hear you found it helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.