Subject: [WIP] The Book of Villainy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: I'm a female, I'm a gamer and I'm proud of it!
Book of Villainy

Story:

The villains of Auda City are all a ragtag bunch, but you're different. You're an up and coming ne’er-do-well, and you have a PLAN! Surely if you wrote a book about all your future misdeeds, you would skyrocket to fame and fortune!?! The only problem is that you maybe sort of monologued your entire plan to every ear within reach, and the local riff-raff are trying to beat you to the punch. Race against your rival villains to construct the biggest, most impressive book of villainy. May the best villain win.

Gameplay

Each turn, move your villain from location to location, and collect items needed carry out your dastardly plans. You must collect sets of Evil Deeds to fill your book of villainy; which will count as victory points at the end of the game. There are four ways to gain Evil Deeds: invent them; duel other villains to steal a deed; complete a mission, or destroy a location tile. The game ends when all of the Evil Deeds have been drawn. Players then add up the values of their Evil Deed sets, and the player with the most valuable book of villainy, wins.

Players: 2 - 5
Ages 12 and up
Playtime: 30 - 45 minutes

Board Prototype (updated 2/28/19):

From gallery of Shintotchi

RULES (Updated 07/03/19)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hKtWWMNw4FhPG_wQ7wcnBfjM...

Invitation to Lurkers

It has come to my attention that the WIP section acts more as a blog than an area of the forum to receive critique. I wondered why that was, but found that when looking at other threads I was at a loss of what to say if I wasn't personally interested in the game. That being said, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum I would like to tap into. So for any lurkers who check out my thread but lack enough interest to comment, but would still be willing to help me out, here are a few talking points/questions:

1. At what point was your interest lost in this game? (The picture, the name, the description, the board, the rules, etc?)

2. When you look at a WIP thread, do you stop at the first post, or do you scroll down to the most recent post to see if the game has improved?

3. What makes you decide to check out a WIP thread? (The title, the fact that it's not a contest WIP, the fact that it is a contest WIP, the poster, etc)

4. If you checked a WIP thread and didn't like it, is there something which would make you double back and revisit the thread at a later time?

I'll be updating as I go, and editing the top post to reflect the latest version of the game (so you don't have to go searching for everything)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Level 04 BGG posterMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: I'm a female, I'm a gamer and I'm proud of it!

I believe I finally finished the board for my next iteration of The Book of Villainy. The gameplay has changed entirely from the previous iteration, which is why my rules aren't posted yet. I will post them soon. Currently I'm using the money values as placeholders, as I am unsure how to determine an effective value or value pattern.

I will hopefully playtest this weekend as well as next weekend to see if those values work or if they break the game. If anyone has suggestions or see any glaring issues with those values, please let me know. Players start the game with $200, and roll a 6-sided die to move around the board. There are a few opportunities to gain more money, as well as lose money, and I'm trying to strike a balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: The Ares Project fanMicrobadge: Drum fanMicrobadge: KeyForge fanMicrobadge: Arboretum fan
A few of things:

1). Is there a mechanical reason for the text and shapes on the board facing inward and not outward? The ancestor of this game is Monopoly and the Monopoly board has all properties facing outward.

2). Is there a way to manipulate the die? Roll & move games are typically not enjoyable (too much luck). The only reason Monopoly is "popular" is that it came out at the right time with the "right" theme and there were almost no other "good" family board games in the market. You are in a completely different market now.

3). I do like the ability to move into the inner circle, that seems interesting. What do those values do?

4). How do you lose reputation? If it is based on what space you land on that seems REALLY luck based.

5). Are you building things other than money, reputation, and cards? I guess the appeal for Monopoly (sorry to compare) is the fact that you have things to build off of.

6). What is the main appeal of the game? What makes this better/different than Monopoly and any other game similar to it. What would make someone replace something similar to your game with your game in their collection. These are important questions if you plan on producing this game.

I would read the rules if you posted, interested to see what you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
tbonesticks94 wrote:
A few of things:

1). Is there a mechanical reason for the text and shapes on the board facing inward and not outward? The ancestor of this game is Monopoly and the Monopoly board has all properties facing outward.

2). Is there a way to manipulate the die? Roll & move games are typically not enjoyable (too much luck). The only reason Monopoly is "popular" is that it came out at the right time with the "right" theme and there were almost no other "good" family board games in the market. You are in a completely different market now.

3). I do like the ability to move into the inner circle, that seems interesting. What do those values do?

4). How do you lose reputation? If it is based on what space you land on that seems REALLY luck based.

5). Are you building things other than money, reputation, and cards? I guess the appeal for Monopoly (sorry to compare) is the fact that you have things to build off of.

6). What is the main appeal of the game? What makes this better/different than Monopoly and any other game similar to it. What would make someone replace something similar to your game with your game in their collection. These are important questions if you plan on producing this game.

I would read the rules if you posted, interested to see what you do.
Hey! Thanks for responding. I'll try to answer as best I can.

1. There was no mechanics reason why I chose to orient the board that way. To my eyes, it made sense to orient it that way. I didn't notice it differed from monopoly, despite looking at monopoly for how to orient my corner spaces lol. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll pay attention to playtester feedback to see if that bothers other players.

2. I'm not sure what counts as manipulating the die, but the die is not the only way to move or be moved. My game has sabotage, fortune, and luck cards, which all have the potential to effect the movement of you or another player. Also there are stairs on this board, so you can choose to be in the upper city level or down in the underground, which should give the player more control.

3.The values are the amount of evil deeds a player is required to have in order to access those goods. Since this game is about being a villain, you can't expect to reap the benefits of the underground without having some evil deeds under your belt. The more evil deeds you have, the more you can access. Anyone can go into the underground, but you have a higher risk of landing on a hero space and going to prison. You would want to go to the underground however, because unlike up top, all the items are free if you land on them.

4. Reputation is basically your lifepoints, and it can be wheedled down by the hitman for hire and feelings space or by use of sabotage, luck, or weapon cards. Players will buy or collect sabotage cards and use them offensively throughout the game. Sabotage cards can be played instantly during anyone's turn. Luck cards are like duel cards which gives either player a chance at victory and have to be played as soon as they are drawn.There are also fortune cards which will be used for defense and counters (to be played instantly like sabotage cards). The player will have to decide what strategy they want to take in order to win and purchase cards accordingly. Weapon cards are different weapons which hit a player directly for different point values.

5. It's totally okay to compare it to Monopoly. It was a huge inspiration in the board design (though the previous version of this board looked very different and was circular. I made it square because players became too confused with the design, and my new ideas could not be incorporated into an octagon/circle design). This game is not about building. It's about destroying. Building up money and cards is just a bonus, but you win only by taking out your opponents. That being said, one thing you can build is a mega weapon. There is an option to collect weapons once you attain 3 evil deeds. There are different types of weapons, and some of them combine to make mega weapons which take huge chunks of reputation.

6. The appeal of this game is the theme. I made this game because I think villains are usually the guys with the coolest character designs, and I like to play the villain when I game with others. The fun of this game is unashamedly being evil and reveling in it. The cards aren't plain text. They play into the theme as well. I'll give you examples.

A luck card might say:

Pick a player to have an evil laugh off. The person who laughs the longest wins and receives a sabotage card.

An evil deed card might say:

Go to a boyband concert, and walk up to the member with the longest hair. Whisper " Your hair isn't long enough to hide your mistakes, and walk away"

A sabotage card might say:

Blackmail a player for $75, otherwise you'll tell their family about their secret identity.

A fortune card might say:

When caught by the cops, snitch on another player instead of going to prison and make them pay twice the bribe.

The theme and the easy learning curve are what I hope make this game appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Winter
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: JavaScript programmerMicrobadge: 24 Hour Contest participant
I don't have much feedback at the moment, except that I think the idea sounds really cool.

I have a friend who absolutely loves to be the villain and would probably love a game like this.

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
winterGamer wrote:
I don't have much feedback at the moment, except that I think the idea sounds really cool.

I have a friend who absolutely loves to be the villain and would probably love a game like this.

Keep up the good work!
Haha thank you!I hope you check back from time to time to see updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
UPDATE:

I used Component Studio and made all but one set of cards for my game. I need to make the Moniker cards, as well as chits for the weapons. I also need to update the rules and the companion cards. Still incoming. Below are the links to the card sets I have completed.

Evil Deed Cards
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1jLVvkNbIVlZGJFRkR0dGdsal...

Sabotage Cards
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1jLVvkNbIVlSHFmS3lwSnNjWE...

Fortune Teller Cards
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1jLVvkNbIVlcjFmUWlpSFYtcj...

Luck Cards
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1jLVvkNbIVlOFNaTUxFMnlMVE...

Weapon Cards
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1jLVvkNbIVlRFJrSmdiMUEyVD...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
After playtesting the board two weeks ago, I made some revisions which should hopefully improve gameplay. People found the board colors made it hard to read the different spaces and names.

They wanted the board to be reoriented so that you could read the spaces closer to you rather than farther. They wanted it to be more obvious where the start point was, as well as a stronger indicator the Hero spaces were NOT a space you wanted to land on.

Lastly, gameplay was slow because there weren't enough ways to attack other players, so I converted a space to meet that need. I also made alterations to my Sabotage cards so that they take away points rather than give points. Lastly I did some grammar clean up and balanced out the negative and positive with the Luck cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I created art for the gamebox today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Here are the current rules for the game.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vFdrZ7FftiOFoSCu0FMn7ucd...

I am playtesting at my local anime convention this weekend, and so far I have gotten some really constructive feedback to speed/smooth gameplay. Design-wise I just need to enlarge some text on the board, but most modifications need to happen with the card text, for clarity. I think I will change out one or two spots on the board to give players a higher chance to grab weapons or sabotage cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Winter
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: JavaScript programmerMicrobadge: 24 Hour Contest participant
It looks really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Update on Gameplay
Thanks Sara!

New Edition to the Game:

I have to decided to try out a new mechanic to facilitate faster gameplay. Introducing SuperDick! A superhero with nothing better to do than be a dick to all the local villains. He's a bit out of shape because, why be fit when you can fly? SuperDick comes onto the board any time a player sets off a bomb or fires a weapon. He will always start on the shakedown space (Which I will rename to Superhero shakedown, as he is the only hero douchebag enough to demand a bribe)

SuperDick stays on the board 1 turn for every weapon which goes off.He lingers for one round, and at the end of the round (when it's his turn again), he either stays on the board because another weapon was used, or he goes away. SuperDick rolls 2 D6 dice each of his turns and moves accordingly.

If SuperDick flies past a villain, that villain loses points (2 x The amount of evil deeds they hold) If SuperDick shares a space with another villain, such as he lands on their square or they land on his, they will have points deducted AND they will go to prison.

Additionally, if SuperDick is on the board, all the hero spaces int he underground become inactive. All the heroes go away when Super Dick comes out to play! The hero spaces reactivate once he's gone.

I will also use SuperDick to develop a solo version of the game so that you can still enjoy it if friends aren't around to play, but that will be later.

Also, SuperDick was the kneejerk name I gave him. It's not permanent. It just amused me, but after some repititions it feels a little crude. Also don't want his name to be the one thing making this game's age rating higher than it should be.

I commissioned an artist friend to draw him so I should have that in a week or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Gameboard Update

The gameboard has been updated. After playtesting I found that there was a need for more opportunities to gather sabotage and weapon cards. I also found that luck cards were drawn most often, due to having an equivalent of 6 spaces on the board. I removed luck from the city portion of the board (as thematically it didn't make sense) and replaced them with an extra sabotage and weapon space.

I also went through to specify and unify the wording on the board, to clarify which payments were optional vs mandatory. The shakedown was upgraded so it was pay the bribe money or lose points from the superhero I mentioned earlier.

Hopefully this board, with the edition of the roaming hero will facilitate point loss more quickly so that the game time bumps down closer to 60 minutes.

I have found that people have fun playing the game, but right around the hour marker players start to get antsy, especially when they see the scores aren't anywhere near being eliminated.

If these changes aren't enough to balance the play time, I will then create stronger weapons for more effective play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge

I am rethinking the move mechanics of the game and the board design. I will update once I pick a direction to go in for playtesting. Until then, enjoy the world's most obnoxious superhero. (I mentioned him int he post above, but thought up a more suitable name)

Meet The Superhero a.k.a SuperFleek. At first he was just Fleek, but thanks to the enormous quantity of gas generated from his never-ending taco-binge, he gained the power of flight and became SuperFleek!

I commissioned an amazing artist to make my vision of the world's most obnoxious hero come to life. The superhero is a new element I've added to the game, thanks to some playtesting feedback. Currently, he comes onto the board when a weapon is detonated, and wreaks havoc for any villain he comes across (via point deduction and prison).

Superhero Factoids:

- His motto is " Why be fit when I can fly?"
- He is the only superhero in the city, because he was the only
hero with the power of flight
- He can fly a max of 5 inches off the ground
- He shakes down any villain who passes him and uses the
money to pay his rent
- Yes, he has a double popped collar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
UPDATE
I've spent the last 3 weeks brainstorming how to alter the way players move in my game, as well as how to stop the immediate association with Monopoly. I think I finally see that it's not necessarily because the graphics look like Monopoly that posters had an issue. I think it was the roll and move mechanic which was really the deal-breaker.

At first I was thinking of scrapping the board and doing a tile flipping mechanic, but it changed the essence of my game too much, and in self-testing, it wasn't even half as interesting as I thought.

Fast-forward to this week, and I finally made a breakthrough. I will have to design an entirely new board. It will essentially consist of 4 pods/platforms, with the center pod being the prison, and the other pods being points of escape for the villains. The pods will be connected by spaces.

The game will be split into 2 phases; origin and legend. The first phase, the villains race to build a weapon of mass destruction (so they will get thrown in jail). Based off of who builds their weapon the fastest, players will draw a certain number of sabotage cards to start the 2nd phase with.

The cards will be divided into suites, so players will take note of which suite they have the most of,and that will determine what type of villain the will be in the 2nd phase. Knowing the type of villain they are tells a player what they winning condition is for the 2nd phase.

For example, a destructive villain has the goal to trap all other players and the superhero in the prison and blow them all up. The Co-op villain has the goal of recruiting the superhero to the darkside and making all rival villains submit to them.

In the 2nd phase, players may play any card in their hand only on their turn.Players will move via movement cards. Movement cards will be passed out in phase 1, but a player may draw 1 movement card each turn they use at least 1 movement card. Same for sabotage cards.

With this change, I have eliminated money, chits, scorekeeping, and the dice roll. I haven't play-tested it yet, since I just had the breakthrough, but I hope to have a solid design by November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
So I'm going through different openers for my game. I'm going to list some below, and if anyone feels like they prefer one over the other, feel free to chime in. Right now, my opening if flexible because the gameplay keeps evolving. All I know for sure is there is a Book of Villainy, and for one reason or another, the player wants it.

1 - The Book of Villainy is an illustrious publication which all villains are dying to be in. You're willing to eliminate all of the local competition to secure your spot.

2. The Book of Villainy is a treasured book passed down from (successful) parent to (most talented) child, detailing the best villains within your family tree. You want to make sure you're next in line for inheritance, and no villain or hero will stand in your way.

3. There exists a legendary relic, said to bestow infamy and riches to the villain who obtains it. Destroy your competition and seek your reward- The Book of Villainy.

That's it for now, but I'll think of other scenarios later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karel Kok
msg tools
I'm fascinated by number 2, personally. I'm an artist, so the idea of a whole set of 'trope' family members vying for it is super interesting. It might veer into a family feud theme though, which I'm not sure might be what you're going for.

I like number 1 as well -- it seems an invitation to make a set of varied villain characters that might suit your game. As for your questions to lurkers:

1. At what point was your interest lost in this game?
The board was very difficult to read without tilting my head every which way, so great job on the new one. I've not lost interest yet, but I'd probably prefer more personality (as characters, or cards with humorous writing).

3. What makes you decide to check out a WIP thread?

The title caught my attention, then the theme. It called to mind Jack the Ripper and Houdini-esque villains, which piqued my interest.

4. What is a plotpoint or angle you would want...

I'd like a competition between archetypes, more than the actual goal of the players. A family goal might include a middle child who feels as if he needs to steal bigger and better to make up for it (and therefore, cannot commit misdeeds under a certain threshold), or a spoiled youngest child who automatically receives an allowance etc.

For the villain competition, there's so many types of criminals (cat burglars, escape artists, and the like) that it'd be interesting to see how these characters interact towards the goal.

5. If you checked a WIP thread and didn't like it, is there something which would make you double back and revisit the thread at a later time?

I'll definitely be back to check this one out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hello! Similar to the feedback you gave on my project Catalyst, I'm also gonna give my impressions of your game and its rulebook section by section.

Initial impressions:

The theme looks good -- it's refreshing and fun from a roleplaying point of view, because players are encouraged to behave villanously.

The board's art is a bit basic at the moment, but I assume you're planning on improving it later on. It defnitely reminds me of Monopoly. The inner "lower level" design of the board looks looks very interesting to play with.

Page 1

The flavour text used for the "Picking starting order" section is nicely written -- I like how it helps players "get into the mood."

Page 2

The different zones seem pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the roll-a-dice-and-move mechanic, but I'm more partial to it if players are given a choice on the direction they can move towards. I'm reminded of the board of the game called "Outrage!" ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1147/outrage-steal-crown... ) I don't remember it to be a particularly fun game, but I did like the board design because of how much flexibility there was for player movement.

There's mention of evil deeds under the "underground" section, but up till this point I'm still unsure of how to collect them. I'll probably find out soon enough though. The same applies to the Superhero and its relation to the hero spaces.

Page 3

The prison mechanic is very very similar to monopoly's, and I'm not sure if that's a great idea. I find that being excluded from the game and staying excluded until you achieve a dice roll (a totally random outcome) to be an "antifun" design feature. It reduces the amount of fun experienced by the imprisoned player, causes frustration to them, and doesn't really enrich the experience of the other players who aren't imprisoned.

Perhaps there could be more ways that imprisoned players can escape? Bribing the guards, staging a prison break -- anything that a villain might do. These methods could guarantee freedom but also bring about consequences that the player must deal with later on. (For example, staging a prison break will give the player a "fugitive" status, which makes him easier to be caught the next time). Just throwing out ideas!

The win condition of being the only one left with reputation points is fine, but given that there are cards that adds those points, does this mean that it's possible for the game to drag on for a very long time? If so, I think there should be some other conditions to ensure that the game starts moving towards a conclusion after a period of time. (e.g. when a certain deck of cards is exhausted, all players start to lose -1 reputation points per turn)

Page 4

The "Prison" space is repeated here, but with greater clarity this time. I'm wondering if you could just merge the content here with the "Prison" section on Page 3? That strikes me as being more elegant.

I'm not sure I like there being so many outcomes of the dice roll -- this seems cumbersome to remember and might have players referring to the rulebook over and over. As mentioned before, I think that the Prison mechanic should be reworked to make it less similar to Monopoly's.

I really like the existence of the Feelings space. It's hilarious and "awww" at the same time, haha.

Page 5

The bribing mechanic associated to the Cop space is a nice touch. To add to the flavour, I was thinking that it would be kind of cool if there was a deck of Cop cards you would draw from when you land on the Cop space. Each cop card represents a different cop that resides in the city, and therefore would have their own personality and approach to dealing with a villain. You could have your typical corrupt cop that would gladly accept bribes, or a straight shooter whose integrity is infallible, or even a scaredy cop who can be intimidated into letting you go because you're armed with a few dangerous weapons.

I'm still unclear about the Superhero mechanic. Also, superheroes shaking down villains and taking bribes? That's pretty dark!

Page 6

Finally reading about the Superhero! He sounds like a jerk There seems to be many mechanics associated to him -- maybe a little too much to remember, but maybe it's one of those things that's clearer than it actually looks when you're playing the game. I don't really like how it would always spawn from the same space, that feels a bit static. Given that you want players to intentionally summon the Superhero to sabotage others, maybe allowing the Superhero to spawn from different locations could add more strategic depth?

Final thoughts

The Book of Villainy strikes me as a casual game. Good for ice breakers, fun for families with 2 or more kids, but hardcore gamers will probably give it a pass. In terms of gameplay, I would try and shift away from Monopoly's mechanics as they're perceived to be dated and not very fun. I would also look into tweaking existing mechanics so that they're more skill-based rather than relying on luck or randomness.

As a game that's so reliant on its theme, it needs to be brimming with flavour and personality. It needs to have very good art and lore, complete with fully-fleshed characters, sets, locations, and anything else to make it feel like you're making your way through the dirtiest, most corrupted city ever. For example, one way to do this would be to dress up your board spaces with realistic locations or actions (e.g. Petty Theft > Bust an ATM, or Weapon > Davidson's Gun and Coin) complete with professional illustrations.

I hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
zydaline wrote:
I'm fascinated by number 2, personally. I'm an artist, so the idea of a whole set of 'trope' family members vying for it is super interesting. It might veer into a family feud theme though, which I'm not sure might be what you're going for.

I like number 1 as well -- it seems an invitation to make a set of varied villain characters that might suit your game. As for your questions to lurkers:

1. At what point was your interest lost in this game?
The board was very difficult to read without tilting my head every which way, so great job on the new one. I've not lost interest yet, but I'd probably prefer more personality (as characters, or cards with humorous writing).

3. What makes you decide to check out a WIP thread?

The title caught my attention, then the theme. It called to mind Jack the Ripper and Houdini-esque villains, which piqued my interest.

4. What is a plotpoint or angle you would want...

I'd like a competition between archetypes, more than the actual goal of the players. A family goal might include a middle child who feels as if he needs to steal bigger and better to make up for it (and therefore, cannot commit misdeeds under a certain threshold), or a spoiled youngest child who automatically receives an allowance etc.

For the villain competition, there's so many types of criminals (cat burglars, escape artists, and the like) that it'd be interesting to see how these characters interact towards the goal.

5. If you checked a WIP thread and didn't like it, is there something which would make you double back and revisit the thread at a later time?

I'll definitely be back to check this one out!
Thank you so much for the feedback! Very valuable info. I've gotten mixed comments about the family angle, so I'll have to see where majority falls. (I personally like this angle quite alot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Matchstickman wrote:
Just as a point of reference for you, you had my interest at the title, you lost my interest at "2-4 players", looking for a solo game right now.

Will I be back? Possibly. Though the ending of "everyone else must lose", rather than "One player wins at point x" is not something I usually look for.
Thank you for the feedback! I definitely do want to make this playable (and fun) as a solo player, and it's not ruled out yet. I'm pinning down the mechanics with multi-player and then using that to come up with a solo mode. (as I hate when I have a game I need others to play)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
davidgoh wrote:
Hello! Similar to the feedback you gave on my project Catalyst, I'm also gonna give my impressions of your game and its rulebook section by section.

Initial impressions:

The theme looks good -- it's refreshing and fun from a roleplaying point of view, because players are encouraged to behave villanously.

The board's art is a bit basic at the moment, but I assume you're planning on improving it later on. It defnitely reminds me of Monopoly. The inner "lower level" design of the board looks looks very interesting to play with.

Page 1

The flavour text used for the "Picking starting order" section is nicely written -- I like how it helps players "get into the mood."

Page 2

The different zones seem pretty cool. I'm not a fan of the roll-a-dice-and-move mechanic, but I'm more partial to it if players are given a choice on the direction they can move towards. I'm reminded of the board of the game called "Outrage!" ( https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1147/outrage-steal-crown... ) I don't remember it to be a particularly fun game, but I did like the board design because of how much flexibility there was for player movement.

There's mention of evil deeds under the "underground" section, but up till this point I'm still unsure of how to collect them. I'll probably find out soon enough though. The same applies to the Superhero and its relation to the hero spaces.

Page 3

The prison mechanic is very very similar to monopoly's, and I'm not sure if that's a great idea. I find that being excluded from the game and staying excluded until you achieve a dice roll (a totally random outcome) to be an "antifun" design feature. It reduces the amount of fun experienced by the imprisoned player, causes frustration to them, and doesn't really enrich the experience of the other players who aren't imprisoned.

Perhaps there could be more ways that imprisoned players can escape? Bribing the guards, staging a prison break -- anything that a villain might do. These methods could guarantee freedom but also bring about consequences that the player must deal with later on. (For example, staging a prison break will give the player a "fugitive" status, which makes him easier to be caught the next time). Just throwing out ideas!

The win condition of being the only one left with reputation points is fine, but given that there are cards that adds those points, does this mean that it's possible for the game to drag on for a very long time? If so, I think there should be some other conditions to ensure that the game starts moving towards a conclusion after a period of time. (e.g. when a certain deck of cards is exhausted, all players start to lose -1 reputation points per turn)

Page 4

The "Prison" space is repeated here, but with greater clarity this time. I'm wondering if you could just merge the content here with the "Prison" section on Page 3? That strikes me as being more elegant.

I'm not sure I like there being so many outcomes of the dice roll -- this seems cumbersome to remember and might have players referring to the rulebook over and over. As mentioned before, I think that the Prison mechanic should be reworked to make it less similar to Monopoly's.

I really like the existence of the Feelings space. It's hilarious and "awww" at the same time, haha.

Page 5

The bribing mechanic associated to the Cop space is a nice touch. To add to the flavour, I was thinking that it would be kind of cool if there was a deck of Cop cards you would draw from when you land on the Cop space. Each cop card represents a different cop that resides in the city, and therefore would have their own personality and approach to dealing with a villain. You could have your typical corrupt cop that would gladly accept bribes, or a straight shooter whose integrity is infallible, or even a scaredy cop who can be intimidated into letting you go because you're armed with a few dangerous weapons.

I'm still unclear about the Superhero mechanic. Also, superheroes shaking down villains and taking bribes? That's pretty dark!

Page 6

Finally reading about the Superhero! He sounds like a jerk There seems to be many mechanics associated to him -- maybe a little too much to remember, but maybe it's one of those things that's clearer than it actually looks when you're playing the game. I don't really like how it would always spawn from the same space, that feels a bit static. Given that you want players to intentionally summon the Superhero to sabotage others, maybe allowing the Superhero to spawn from different locations could add more strategic depth?

Final thoughts

The Book of Villainy strikes me as a casual game. Good for ice breakers, fun for families with 2 or more kids, but hardcore gamers will probably give it a pass. In terms of gameplay, I would try and shift away from Monopoly's mechanics as they're perceived to be dated and not very fun. I would also look into tweaking existing mechanics so that they're more skill-based rather than relying on luck or randomness.

As a game that's so reliant on its theme, it needs to be brimming with flavour and personality. It needs to have very good art and lore, complete with fully-fleshed characters, sets, locations, and anything else to make it feel like you're making your way through the dirtiest, most corrupted city ever. For example, one way to do this would be to dress up your board spaces with realistic locations or actions (e.g. Petty Theft > Bust an ATM, or Weapon > Davidson's Gun and Coin) complete with professional illustrations.

I hope this helps!
Thank you very very much for this detailed comment! I'm a little sad, as I have already altered many things in my gameplay, which you have mentioned, but I haven't had time to write and flesh out the rules.(The change is still very new) The new board and gameplay will eliminate dice and all of the Monopoly similarities. The board will also have a more distinctive loo (though it will be basic, as I plan to pitch it to publishers and don't want to get attached to the art).

Still, I very much appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback, and I will take as much from it as I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Luigi fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Charterstone fanMicrobadge: Scythe fan - I claim the Factory!Microbadge: D&D fan (5th edition)
Good to see that you're working hard on improving the gameplay. I'm interested in seeing the final version eventually. Good luck!
And I love the look of that superhero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Oloring wrote:
Good to see that you're working hard on improving the gameplay. I'm interested in seeing the final version eventually. Good luck!
And I love the look of that superhero
Thank you! (And it was so fun writing the description for SuperFleek haha)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Updated the rules link to the new rules document I am creating. It is incomplete, but it better conveys the direction this game is going. If anything stands out to you, feel free to let me know. It's much easier for me to critique other people's work rather than my own,unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
I made a thread, but since the info in it was an update on my game, I'm adding it here as well.

My game, started out with a Monopoly movement mechanic where it was simply, roll and move clock-wise around the board. People had fun, but I noticed people online were repelled by dice-roll mechanics and the simple round-the-board movement. Below are all the movement mechanics I brainstormed, but never got to the playtesting stage, because nothing ever felt JUST right.

Went to the drawing board and revised my game so that it could use a grid for the board, and players would draw cards which would indicate how many spaces they could move. Players could essentially save up the cards and use multiple cards in one turn to better control their movements. The necessity for the cards would also serve as a restriction so they didn't go all over the place.

I then moved from the grid to hex tiles, which could be flipped (if destroyed, essentially blocking a player's path) or locked down (so players could claim territory. Players would be allowed to move at least once each turn, but depending on the amount of evil deed cards they possessed, they could move further. OR depending on which villain the player had picked, the villain's trait could allow them to move a certain amount each turn.

With the addition of minions which could move in place of the villain, I felt like hex tiles made for too small a board. I also felt like my game concentrated more on territory than on the fun of being a villain and vanquishing your competition. So I went back to a static board, which mostly worked out to be a rectangle grid. Players could only move pieces which are connected, kind of like the reinforcement phase in Risk.

That's about where I am now. I'm relatively new to TTGs, so it's hard for me to think up a unique move mechanic. I want to keep it simple, because I want this to still be a game which can be explained in 15 minutes. I want it to be for new and casual gamers.

My game, Book of Villainy, is about being the best villain. You are eluding capture from that blasted superhero SuperFleek, while growing your minion base and eliminating your rivals. The board will have a prison, which you are sent to if caught by SuperFleek, a secret lab (which only one player can access at a time) to build inventions, and safehouses. Players will have to be incognito in civilian mode while still accomplishing their objectives in villain mode (still fleshing that out). There will be invention cards, sabotage cards, and power-up/evil deed cards.

All I'm missing is a move mechanic that keeps the fun, quick spirit of the game. I would be very grateful for any suggestions. And if any of my brainstorm ideas seem like a good fit, could you let me know? I know that I will think and rethink on something until it looks wrong to me, so maybe I was on the right path and veered away? In any case, I'm in your hands. I tried to be as clear as I could, but let me know if something doesn't make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |