Subject: Discarding Bonus Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sparky Albatross
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Can you freely discard bonus cards (green hand)? If, for whatever reason, you don't want to have a bonus card in your hand anymore, can you just discard it, or do you have to wait until you have too many bonus cards or you trigger a condition that causes it to be lost?

Can you trade bonus cards or give them to another player once they are in your hand? I actually have the same question about skill cards (blue hand).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no specific rule to simply allow you to discard them. I have no idea why you would want to unless you had to, though.

You cannot trade Bonus and Skill cards from one hand to another. When receiving one, you could immediately give it to somebody involved in the same action, but once the choice is made and somebody has taken the card, then it is theirs for good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Albatross
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know how to explain why I want to discard a skill card without spoilers. But I do want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Albatross
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also wondering the same. The rulebook assumes they're all positive cards but I'm not sure about this one card in my hand. So far I've assumed I have to keep it at least until my hand is full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But aren't the use of bonus cards optional, such as "when this in hand, you may apply..."-kinda wording?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Albatross
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
It's hard to answer you without spoilers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the section on drawing particular cards, it says the following for blue/green hand cards:
Quote:
A SKILL or A BONUS
The active player may:
— add this card to their hand;
— or give this card to another player who was involved in the
action, so that this player adds it to their own hand;
or discard this card into the Past if they do not wish to keep it.
So if you draw a green card and would rather discard it, you can do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
In the section on drawing particular cards, it says the following for blue/green hand cards:
Quote:
A SKILL or A BONUS
The active player may:
— add this card to their hand;
— or give this card to another player who was involved in the
action, so that this player adds it to their own hand;
or discard this card into the Past if they do not wish to keep it.
So if you draw a green card and would rather discard it, you can do so.

I would assume so. For instance, some of those cards are companions... I don't imagine you are forced to keep a companion with you if you don't want to. In general the green cards are beneficial even if they come at a cost, so I have never wanted to discard one myself... but I can understand why you might need to under certain circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That rule is only for when you draw the card, though. It does not allow you to discard it if you initially decided to keep it, which is what I thought we are arguing about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does it work with blue idea cards? If I have my hand max in my hand and really want to get one I just got acces to. Can I discard one of the cards in my hand? If You can't do that your options become very limited and will resolve in stupid behavoir? Is there a ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyhne wrote:
How does it work with blue idea cards? If I have my hand max in my hand and really want to get one I just got acces to. Can I discard one of the cards in my hand? If You can't do that your options become very limited and will resolve in stupid behavoir? Is there a ruling on this?

See point 4 on page 12:

page 12 wrote:
The active player may choose one Skill card among those revealed during step 3 (Result). They may add that card to their hand or to the hand of another player involved in the action, even if the card exceeds the hand size limit.

Then, during step 7 of Action Resolution, you discard down to your hand limit:

page 12 wrote:
Any involved player who has more Skill and/or Bonus cards in hand than the authorized limit must discard any excess cards of their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
That rule is only for when you draw the card, though. It does not allow you to discard it if you initially decided to keep it, which is what I thought we are arguing about.

Precisely. Also, it's hard to explain without spoiling anything, but thematically it makes sense that it would be something that my character feels compelled to keep.

jyhne wrote:

If at any point you are allowed to take a card into your hand, you can even if you're at your hand limit, simply discard another one. Check your player aid for the order in which you resolve actions, the last step is discarding down to your hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edubvidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sparkyalbatross wrote:
Can you freely discard bonus cards (green hand)? If, for whatever reason, you don't want to have a bonus card in your hand anymore, can you just discard it, or do you have to wait until you have too many bonus cards or you trigger a condition that causes it to be lost?

Thanks!

No official answer to this one?
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about telling about the card in
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spoiler-Tags
? Or just giving the card number so people can decide to look it up if they aren't afraid to be spoiled?

In general you keep cards in your hand until you have to discard them as the result of having to many cards or as cost for using an ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edubvidal
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unisus wrote:
How about telling about the card

A0725

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Unisus wrote:
How about telling about the card in
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spoiler-Tags
? Or just giving the card number so people can decide to look it up if they aren't afraid to be spoiled?

In general you keep cards in your hand until you have to discard them as the result of having to many cards or as cost for using an ability.

This is my understanding. You cannot choose to discard any card unless you are specifically instructed to do so, or if you exceed the hand limit.

We experienced something similar with a Green card that was giving a bonus and a restriction. We ruled that we had to keep the card until we were able to displace it with another card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
edubvidal wrote:
Unisus wrote:
How about telling about the card

A0725

Ah, ok, now i see your problem.

Well, by the rules you have to either collect green cards until you can discard it as the card you have too much in hand, or you must find some way to discard a card with the keyword the card has (not sure if there is such a way)

We had this card in our last game, and it didn't really bother us that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that when you find such a card, you can choose to not take it into hand in the first place and thus discard it instead. If you or a chosen player does decide to keep the card when found, then you or they are indeed stuck with it until the bonus card limit is reached or a discard opportunity is given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls