Subject: How's the component quality? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it in stock online and was wondering how the component quality is in the production version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the game and have no issues with the component quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far there's at least one major misprint with two race names swapped on their player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Bergmark
Sweden
Stockholm
Älvsjö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game yesterday and also got the swapped art on races. Also the card backs, while quite similar have some color differences.

Has anyone contacted Cryptozoic about it? I checked their site. It said one needs to send faulty items to them, which seems a hassle since I live in Sweden and also, I want to play the game, since I really enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
eypyeash wrote:
So far there's at least one major misprint with two race names swapped on their player board.

Are there any pictures or additional details available?
Which race name/images are swapped?
I assume that this misprint is found on all copies of the game?
If it's just a name on the player boards, wouldn't a small sticker fix the problem very easily?

As someone who thought the board game looked interesting and affordable despite no experience with the video game source material, I'm not sure how much I really care... but other people I want to play against might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
oneiric wrote:
eypyeash wrote:

Are there any pictures or additional details available?
Which race name/images are swapped?
I assume that this misprint is found on all copies of the game?
If it's just a name on the player boards, wouldn't a small sticker fix the problem very easily?

As someone who thought the board game looked interesting and affordable despite no experience with the video game source material, I'm not sure how much I really care... but other people I want to play against might.

Two race images have been swapped on the player boards, Darlok and Meklar. The race summaries in the rulebook have the correct images.

This would possibly not even be noticeable to someone not familiar with the source, but to anyone who is this would be like receiving a player board for the Egyptians with a picture of Napoleon on it.

Which begs the question ... how on earth do these glaringly obvious mistakes ever occur ? Please don't tell me games production is a complicated process. Errors are made of course, but these sorts of things shouldn't ever happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools

Just noticed the images are correct on the 2016 uploads, so it looks like this is an error by the publisher for the Retail release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like a couple of stickers would fix the issue easily enough.

Agree that it's one of those mistakes that seems like it should have been caught in proofing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I have no recollection of the original PC game (which I owned and played some), so are just the images and symbols swapped or are the racial characteristics too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
I have no recollection of the original PC game (which I owned and played some), so are just the images and symbols swapped or are the racial characteristics too?

Just the image as far as I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
My copy just arrived.

It is just images that were swapped on player boards. The names and racial power descriptions match the altered values (in yellow text) on the boards.

That problem aside, I'm satisfied with the components considering the reasonable asking price. Nothing stands out as exceptional, which fit my expectations.

Thoughts:
* Scoreboard is nice and thick.
* Cubes and cardboard tokens are both good quality.
* Cards are a bit slippery - I would have preferred a linen finish - but feel ok aside from that. Marking is a mild concern because of the dark edges along the back.
* Player boards are thin, and feel like the same consistency as the card stock.
* There is a plastic box insert with three holes - two that fit cards, and a smaller one for either cubes or tokens. Doesn't look like it will fit sleeved cards, and there is only room for about 40-50 additional cards if an expansion comes out.

Note that there is plenty of room for additional player boards inside the box, if they decide to expand in that direction. That seems likely, as it would be fairly easy to do, and would help to round out the MoO theme.

There was also a little bonus in the box:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
An extra card included a one-time use code for a free Steam download of Master of Orion: Revenge of Antares expansion pack, useful if you own the base game. Fingers crossed this is also a hint about the first expansion?

--

Edit: Opening a ticket with Cryptozoic about the misprinted boards and will share any response that I receive.

---

Edit #2:

Here is the ticket that I opened:

Quote:

There is a print error on the Meklar and Darlok player boards for the Master of Orion board game.

As mentioned in the subject, the images on the Meklar and Darlok boards were swapped. Other information on the boards is correct, with the names and powers matching, but the race image shown on those boards is wrong. Interesting to note that images in the rulebook are correct; it's only the player boards that are a problem. See attached files.

What plans are there to fix this issue? If the game wasn't based on a well-known license, it probably wouldn't matter. But the game is, and for anyone familiar with the source it's an awkward error. Hopefully it doesn't affect your entire print run.

Would greatly appreciate hearing how to get corrected boards, or even if a PDF file with the correct images/descriptions that could be printed onto stickers.

Best regards,

And the official response at this time:

Quote:

Thank you for contacting us with your report about our Master of Orion Board Game print problem.

We’re continuing to research the pack-out of this product with our printer and we hope there’re is no problems in the future print run.
The entire print run was printed like that, so unfortunately there is no replacement available.

Thank you for the PDF idea. We will look into it.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused by this. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,
-Cryptozoic Customer Support Team

So, no fix available at this time.

This doesn't have a huge impact on me, since I have no experience with the source material. It does feel like something potential buyers should be aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Crypto wrote:
We’re continuing to research the pack-out of this product with our printer and we hope there’re is no problems in the future print run.
The entire print run was printed like that, so unfortunately there is no replacement available.

LOL, thanks for nothing, Crypto.

Srsly, telling someone, "Well, sucks to be you, but at least future buyers should be OK," is basically customer anti-service. That PDF should have been up Day-1, not just some lame excuse of Well, I guess the printer screwed up... BYE!

Time to take some responsibility, Crypto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.