Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: Sub-specialized Infantry costs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Please see the forum thread on SJGames regarding VP costs of sub-specialized Infantry. I would be very interested in hearing what everyone has to say on the subject! You can find the thread here:

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=2122501

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) your reasoning sounds perfectly sound to me but...

2} i have to agree with GranitePenguin: "On the face of it, they sound like a solution looking for a problem to me."

Why not leave their descriptions and costs to be defined by the few scenarios which call for these units? FWIW, in nearly 3 decades of playing Ogre, i can count on one hand the number of times i have used specialized infantry (marines or engineers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in favor of providing a standard cost - I'd rather be able to take them than be left wondering if I'm doing something balanced or not.

Your reasoning seems good. However, I think you should make sure that they sub-specialized units are worth their cost in some scenarios. If 4X makes them so expensive that no one will ever buy them, reduce it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

2} i have to agree with GranitePenguin: "On the face of it, they sound like a solution looking for a problem to me."

Why not leave their descriptions and costs to be defined by the few scenarios which call for these units? FWIW, in nearly 3 decades of playing Ogre, i can count on one hand the number of times i have used specialized infantry (marines or engineers).

I also agree with this. Engineers at least have a function beyond what standard infantry could do, but marines are just infantry allowed to move in water.

I'd like to suggest heavy weapons teams dispense with the one-shot missile and actually have a heavier attack normally at the cost of speed (to 1MP). I can imagine these as city defenders in heavier power armor with bigger guns. The one-shot mechanic means more record keeping... since I'd like the game to be as simple as possible, eliminating ammunition from the unit allows them to retain their distinction without added bookkeeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with better attack in lieu of 1-shot weapons for infantry.

Tracking which stand has a missile or not is a real drag.

Also, make Marines the standard infantry and just drop that subtype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
1) your reasoning sounds perfectly sound to me but...

Heavy Weapon Infantry are awesome, you need to try them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
Heavy Weapon Infantry are awesome, you need to try them.

The whole KS ODE set only came with a grand total of four HW Infantry counters, two per team, so there's not enough of them to bother futzing with. The Classic Counters, which i use more often than not, don't include any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.