Subject: Life force and discard: question about example in manual rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dario odde
Italy
Scalenghe (TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I got how the discard pile works, until I read the Example on the manual.
The way I understand it, you draw from the Action deck and make a face up discard pile. Occasionally the Action deck gets replenished. When the action deck runs out, you take the discard, shuffle it, flip it face down and draw from it as if it was the Action deck -but maybe at this point it's not called that- and if you ever draw a Curse from this deck, you lose.

But then the example at page 17 says
"... he draws the first three cards from the action deck which becomes empty. He therefore sets these 3 cards aside, shuffles the discard pile, flips it over face down and randomly draws the remaining two cards from it He reveals a [curse] card, but luckily, it was drawn from the action deck - not from the discard pile - do it has no effect".

I don't get why it says it has no effect. It seems to say the opposite of what stated before: that you lose if you draw a curse from the deck that you make out of the discard pile.
Is it because he drew the REMAINING two cards for an action that he began before the deck run out? And in that case if the next player on the very next turn happen to draw a curse, THEN they lose?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You lose the game if you draw a curse from the discard pile. In the example, the curse card was one of the three cards drawn from the action deck, so the player is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very important to see that the discard pile when shuffled and placed face down is still the discard pile (place it on the discard pile box thing to make it clear). Mostly you'll be drawing cards entirely from the action deck or entirely from the discard pile, in which case if you draw a curse on the first instance it's fine, and in the second instance it's game over.

The example in the rule book is covering the case where you draw from the end of the action deck with the remainder from the now shuffled and inverted discard pile. In that case you need to separate the two types of cards when you draw them, and you only end the game if a curse comes up in those you drew from the discard pile,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easier to figure out if you use the discard pile holder. As long as the cards there are face-up and you still have a discard pile you're fine if you draw a curse.
If the action deck is empty, you keep the discard on the holder but shuffle and flip it face-down. Anytime you draw a Curse card from the holder you're dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew granda
msg tools
MAJBrown22 wrote:
You lose the game if you draw a curse from the discard pile. In the example, the curse card was one of the three cards drawn from the action deck, so the player is fine.

This is how I understand it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dario odde
Italy
Scalenghe (TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
In the example, the curse card was one of the three cards drawn from the action deck, so the player is fine.
NOW I get it.
I thought it was saying that the curse card was among the next two cards but that somehow those were still from the action deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Lin

Laguna Niguel
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was confused as well. They should have written it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls