• [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe they are two separate entries now. The mods decided they were sufficiently different, I guess. I think the international version will also be called Thebes. There are some pictures of this box cover here. I always thought it was strange to retain the German title anyway.

The representative picture for Thebes should probably be changed.

EDIT: picture added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder why "Thebes" and not "Beyond Thebes"

Not knowing where Thebes actually is, I just learned that there are two ancient Thebes. On in Egypt and on in Greece

OK, the cover points to the more famous Thebes in Egypt. But "Beyond Thebes" would have made more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Drew1365 wrote:
Shouldn't we all get a memo when game entries are changed?

I did!

skelebone wrote:

After consideration on the topic, I've split the original Peter Prinz Jenseits von Theben from the new Queen printing of Jenseits von Theben/Thebes. The new entry is at Thebes, and the old entry is at Jenseits von Theben. You may want to update your ownership and game-play data accordingly.

I have already moved pictures and threads from Jenseits von Theben to Thebes, but if there is more data that needs to be moved or corrected, please let me know by using the Submit Corrections button in the game entry.

Skelebone

But agree that there should be a forum (instead of a mass e-mail) to track such changes. My wishlist often ends up with holes when the reverse (merger of game entries) happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Shouldn't we all get a memo when game entries are changed?

I did!

Me too

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
On a different, happier note, it's going to be available for purchase here in the states this Monday. WOOHOO!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition's rules were changed from the previous European edition -- between that and the name change, the new edition is deemed different enough to warrant a separate BGG entry.

Some of the changes look good (drawing tiles from a bag instead of having to eternally reshuffle card decks) but are essentially cosmetic. Other changes will affect gameplay. I hope the feel of the game hasn't been altered too much. My wife is about to die because she doesn't have a copy of this game yet, and I don't want to deal with the consequences if the new edition doesn't meet her expectations!

To my beloved wife, if you are reading this: you know, don't you, that I only tease you because I know you'll take it in a spirit of good fun.

Now put down the cleaver and let's play some nice game while we wait for Thebes.

...please?

...dear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I could'a sworn that the English release was just going to be called "Jenseits von Theben." In what universe is this game known as "Thebes"?

Most of the responses talk about the split of Thebes from the original, but that's kind of a sideways answer. I knew that, but I still ask much the same question as Drew.

Thebes is the name on the international edition. The cover shows names in 6 languages, including english. However I remember Rio Grande Games said some time ago that they would release it as Jenseits von Theben and not rename it. All the online stores I visit that stock or will stock the game are still referring to it as Jenseits von Theben.

Which name will appear on copies (shortly) available in stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. So it seems like I can either buy the Rio Grande game, "Jenseits von Theben" or the Queen version, "Thebes." What are the differences between _these_ two, aside from the title?

When I picture trying to convince my friends to try out this new game called "Jenseits von Theben," which I won't even be able to pronounce, I can just imagine the looks on their faces. It may sound lame but I think I will have to buy the Queen version just so it will look more "normal" to them.

Jay, I'm sorry but keeping that title seems like a really bad call for the American audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
On a different, happier note, it's going to be available for purchase here in the states this Monday. WOOHOO!!
Oh man, I can't wait for this game. For some reason I just have to have this one. It looks wonderful and I love the idea of time being interwoven into a tightly themed game.

For the fact, I don't really care what the name is. If anything I'll just start calling it Thebes on the count that Jenseits von Theben is a little hard to pronounce. Or just, The Archeology Game. That works too!

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I could'a sworn that the English release was just going to be called "Jenseits von Theben." In what universe is this game known as "Thebes"?

I like Thought Hammer's listing for this, they've combined the two titles into: Jenseits von Thebes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:
Wow. So it seems like I can either buy the Rio Grande game, "Jenseits von Theben" or the Queen version, "Thebes." What are the differences between _these_ two, aside from the title?

When I picture trying to convince my friends to try out this new game called "Jenseits von Theben," which I won't even be able to pronounce, I can just imagine the looks on their faces. It may sound lame but I think I will have to buy the Queen version just so it will look more "normal" to them.

Jay, I'm sorry but keeping that title seems like a really bad call for the American audience.

I do not choose the multi-lingual titles, Queen does. Just pretend that Jenseits is a favorite
son of the von Thebes and you shold have no problem - I don't.

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:

The only difference is that Thebes will have English rules in the box and Jenseits von Theben has only German rules.

The confusion is compounded by the fact that the mods (correctly so) decided to split the original entry from this one.

Gameplay is quite similar between the two. Fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is all very confusing.

They are both the same game? - but the one with Rio Grande on the box is called "Jenzeits von Theben" and the one from Queen is called "Thebes." But wouldn't the Queen version use the German "Theben" instead of "Thebes"?

Or is this true: the Thebes version (from Queen) is in English and the JvT version is in German (from Rio Grande? - that makes no sense).

ThoughtHammer says "Jenzeits von Thebes."
TimeWellSpent.org says "Jenseits von Theben (2007) also known as: Thebes"

Plus, currently the image on the BGG Thebes page says "Jenzeits von Theben."

I'm very confused....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
shawn_low wrote:
The only difference is that Thebes will have English rules in the box and Jenseits von Theben has only German rules.
No, see above, the Rio Grande edition (which will presumably contain english) will be called Jenseits von Theben.

riogames wrote:
I agree, it is unfortunate. I usually don't mind German names in games, but in this case, Thebes is a great, simple name, and is an excellent choice. Perhaps Queen decided on the international edition name after Rio Grande made its decision?

EDIT.

cull wrote:
They are both the same game? - but the one with Rio Grande on the box is called "Jenzeits von Theben" and the one from Queen is called "Thebes." But wouldn't the Queen version use the German "Theben" instead of "Thebes"?

Or is this true: the Thebes version (from Queen) is in English and the JvT version is in German (from Rio Grande? - that makes no sense).

Nope. I think I understand now so I'll try to summarize. I believe Queen makes two versions of their game: one German edition and one international edition. So there are three editions we're talking about:

Queen, German: Jenseits von Theben. German rules only?
Queen, Int'l: Thebes. Multi-language rules.
Rio Grande: Jenseits von Theben. If like other Queen/RGG games, multi-language, including english.

Thebes would have been a great name for the english market Rio Grande services... Ah well, if wishes were fishes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the "Rio" box right in front of me... it's the exact same as the photo in the third post.
The "Rio" version IS the Queen version - it doesn't say "Rio Grande" anywhere on the box...
The box tells us the name of the game in each of the 6 languages that it comes in and supplies rules for - for US it says "Thebes". The front of the box says ONLY "Thebes". The side of the box says "Jenseits von Theben" with "Thebes" underneath.

Some are seeming to suggest there are three versions of this game out now. I'd suggest there might be only this one. (Well, and the limited edition original)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
booned wrote:
Which name will appear on copies (shortly) available in stores?
jwdiscovery wrote:
Looking at the "Rio" box right in front of me... The front of the box says ONLY "Thebes".
That's the answer I was looking (and hoping!) for. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay at Rio Grande emailed me this today (hope he doesn't mind me posting it):

"They are all the same game - just the names are slightly different.
Of course "Theben" is the German version and "Thebes" is the
international version, which I am selling."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i juust got my first copy and see they have chosen simply "thebes" as the title for the international vww
Version. Sorry for all the name confusion.

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the BGG game pages are correct too:

Jenseits von Theben for the old version
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/13883

Thebes for the new version
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/30869

There is once again order and peace in the universe...

I'm really glad the new version now being sold in the US is called "Thebes." Much more approachable name to non-German speakers, I think.

Now, let the ratings and comments pour in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, i juust got my first copy and see they have chosen simply "thebes" as the title for the international vww
Version. Sorry for all the name confusion.

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
I'm really glad the new version now being sold in the US is called "Thebes." Much more approachable name to non-German speakers, I think.

Cheer!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:

We simply lovingly refer to it as JvT.

(Jay's middle name doesn't happen to be Victor?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

We simply lovingly refer to it as JvT.

(Jay's middle name doesn't happen to be Victor?)

Actually, it's von, his dad really likes Stevie Ray, or so I've heard ... I could be wrong ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
So now although I've got the Queen Games version, in German, called 'Jenseits von Theben', I have to record it in my collection as 'Thebes' even though there's a 'Jenseits von Theben' in the database. If it's tiles from a bag, it's 'Thebes' and if it's cards from a deck, it's 'Jenseits von Theben'! Clear as mud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |