Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: Price for designer edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lian Boreal
Germany
flag msg tools
What price is it still worth to buy the Ogre Designers Edition?
I found a deal near me for 195€ (without all the Kickstarter extra stuff just the "bare" designers edition).
Is that much? Is that not much?
I also found some selling for 500$ on Amazon... but thats a little much, isn't it..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commander Boreal wrote:
What price is it still worth to buy the Ogre Designers Edition?
I found a deal near me for 195€ (without all the Kickstarter extra stuff just the "bare" designers edition).
Is that much? Is that not much?
I also found some selling for 500$ on Amazon... but thats a little much, isn't it..


195 is probably about the lowest you will find it nowadays. i paid 150 for a retail (non-KS) copy about 2 years ago. 500 is way to much. However...

You are in Germany and i (also in Germany (Geltendorf)) have an extra Designer's Edition with KS extras (it's never been opened) that i would consider selling. Feel free to PM me (auf englisch oder deutsch) with an offer if you are interested. Shipping costs in Germany would be approximately 17 Euros (per https://www.dhl.de/de/privatkunden/preise/preise-national.ht...).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen listings on BGG not sell for a price of $85, so 195 euros seems like a lot...
Then again, shipping in North America is a lot more expensive so that basically limits people to buying locally or meeting up at conventions which reduces the prices.
IIRC even at the GenCon auction it didn't get too much higher than $100. I don't remember if that was with or without the ks stuff though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I have seen listings on BGG not sell for a price of $85, so 195 euros seems like a lot...


Wow. For $85 i'd buy it just to have it (though i don't need it - i've got 2 KS (1 unopened) and 1 retail copy). It should be easy to get rid of at that price (assuming it's new/unopened, else all bets are off).

Ze_German_Guy wrote:
IIRC even at the GenCon auction it didn't get too much higher than $100. I don't remember if that was with or without the ks stuff though.


That "had" to (i strongly suspect) have been the retail edition (which initially retailed for $100, IIRC).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I have seen listings on BGG not sell for a price of $85, so 195 euros seems like a lot...


Wow. For $85 i'd buy it just to have it (though i don't need it - i've got 2 KS (1 unopened) and 1 retail copy). It should be easy to get rid of at that price (assuming it's new/unopened, else all bets are off).

Ze_German_Guy wrote:
IIRC even at the GenCon auction it didn't get too much higher than $100. I don't remember if that was with or without the ks stuff though.


That "had" to (i strongly suspect) have been the retail edition (which initially retailed for $100, IIRC).
If you are talking unopened that would explain things. AFAIK all the ones I've seen are at minimum opend, probably punched.

Didn't mind that when I got mine though, saved me few hours
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a *really* interesting question.

I've seen, in person, people pay hundreds of dollars for a copy. I've also talked to people who would be happy to let theirs go for less than a hundred dollars. Shipping means that a local copy is a better deal than a copy on the other side of an ocean, so just because you have an eager buyer and an eager seller doesn't mean you can make a deal, since neither benefits from the shipping and that cost is not easily ignored.

On the one hand, with older items like this I usually find patience gives me a big discount. If you watch and wait you can get a good deal, but it may take a couple years. If you want it right now the internet will let you get a copy right now, but you have to pay a lot.

Of course, this depends on how often you are at game convention flea markets, used game auctions, and other places where you could find a deal.

An unknown factor is when Ogre 5th 6th Edition will be joined by more products that will reduce the value of Designer's Edition. DE will always be better than Ogre 5th 6th + Add Ons, but the margin will shrink.

So determining the "market value" is a tough question.

I think you just have to keep your eye open and if you find a deal you like buy it, and if you don't keep waiting.

Consider that if you buy Ogre 5E 6E and the Ogre Reinforcements package, then get the Ogre Giant Battlefield set of mounted maps you have most of the "play value" of Ogre DE. You wouldn't have the box, the Ogre garage, the terrain overlays, the laser towers, lots of very nice things, but you could enjoy most of the scenarios. That would be about $130 here, not sure what it would cost in Europe.

Good luck!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

An unknown factor is when Ogre 5th Edition will be joined by more products that will reduce the value of Designer's Edition. DE will always be better than Ogre 5E + Add Ons, but the margin will shrink.


You mean Ogre 6th Edition, right (the currently in-print version)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

An unknown factor is when Ogre 5th Edition will be joined by more products that will reduce the value of Designer's Edition. DE will always be better than Ogre 5E + Add Ons, but the margin will shrink.


6E is presently in print, ODE (Designer's Edition) is sort of a 5E, but more properly is "ODE".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lian Boreal
Germany
flag msg tools
Yeah ! If I can't find something good now I can just wait ...
But I'm not sure if Steve-Jackson-Games will really further expand the game. And even when they do it will probably be compatible with the Designers Edition. . .
I'll see. I'll see.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mackie
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
I've got an opened and unpunched copy of the retail version of ODE. Was planning on sticking it on Ebay today or tomorrow with a few extras like Targets go Boom
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
andreww wrote:

An unknown factor is when Ogre 5th Edition will be joined by more products that will reduce the value of Designer's Edition. DE will always be better than Ogre 5E + Add Ons, but the margin will shrink.


6E is presently in print, ODE (Designer's Edition) is sort of a 5E, but more properly is "ODE".


ODE is 6th Edition _rules_ with extra physical stuff. The 6th Edition rules are essentially the ODE "Quick Rules." It's just easier to delineate between the two by saying "6th Edition" or "Designer's Edition"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These young whippersnappers. There's nothing wrong with my old Metagaming plastic baggie version! (use the small counters on the large maps with large Ogres, cool effect).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
ODE is 6th Edition _rules_ with extra physical stuff. The 6th Edition rules are essentially the ODE "Quick Rules." It's just easier to delineate between the two by saying "6th Edition" or "Designer's Edition"


Man, I knew that, brain fart.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Commander Boreal wrote:
But I'm not sure if Steve-Jackson-Games will really further expand the game. And even when they do it will probably be compatible with the Designers Edition. . .
I'll see. I'll see.


ODE and 6E are fully compatible and cross-pollinating in every major way. I know SJG is planning many new things based on their teasers ... the 40th year of Ogre is still going strong, and I foresee a decade of new releases.

If you find an ODE you can afford, or if you buy 6E and Reinforcements (and future releases), you'll have the core game. ODE just has some extra bells and whistles that are for the die-hard fans, as well as integrating the GEV sets from yore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lian Boreal
Germany
flag msg tools
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
I know SJG is planning many new things based on their teasers ...

Good to hear!
I will just see what I can get and if the DE is to expensive I'll just get 6E and expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kenna
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope they create a new designer edition (or the equivalent) once all the miniature sets have been kickstarted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErgoSphere wrote:
I really hope they create a new designer edition (or the equivalent) once all the miniature sets have been kickstarted.


SJG has already officially stated that the KS minis are more of a "one and done" item than a regular production item. So I wouldn't hold your breath there.

That said, if you have an ODE set, or 6E, and get the minis via KS or in the retail release, you have all you need to do the same exact thing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
ErgoSphere wrote:
I really hope they create a new designer edition (or the equivalent) once all the miniature sets have been kickstarted.


SJG has already officially stated that the KS minis are more of a "one and done" item than a regular production item. So I wouldn't hold your breath there.


More importantly, they also stated emphatically that they will never make the same mistakes again. Even if they, by some miracle, made another DE based on minis, it would cost a fortune; not the $100 giveaway that ODE was.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
granitepenguin wrote:
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
ErgoSphere wrote:
I really hope they create a new designer edition (or the equivalent) once all the miniature sets have been kickstarted.


SJG has already officially stated that the KS minis are more of a "one and done" item than a regular production item. So I wouldn't hold your breath there.


More importantly, they also stated emphatically that they will never make the same mistakes again. Even if they, by some miracle, made another DE based on minis, it would cost a fortune; not the $100 giveaway that ODE was.


I got the ODE Kickstarter and love it. I also bought enough of the maps,sheets and KS sheets to replace the game 2 or three times. Hey, if it's out of production have a back up. hehe, it may have been cheaper to buy and extra game.

But as for the miniatures I'm, unfortunately, of a different mind. I don't paint so that kind of pushed me away. Plus I can print some of the minis, though not as good of course. Finally, I like the colours, markings and painting of the card board figures, and like I said since I don't paint if I did get the plastic ones they'd be a step back for me.

To each their own. It's still a great game after all of these years.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
6E is presently in print, ODE (Designer's Edition) is sort of a 5E, but more properly is "ODE".


Sidebar: SJG caused some confusion there by labeling certain ODE files as "6E" during the KS campaign, only to backtrack much later and re-label it as ODE, with 6E being the one which was printed most recently.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErgoSphere wrote:
I really hope they create a new designer edition (or the equivalent) once all the miniature sets have been kickstarted.


I expect SJG to produce a new Ogre Deluxe with the new plastic minis, replacing the old Ogre Deluxe with metal minis.

I do not expect SJG to produce a new designer edition monstrosity that cannot be reproduced for retail sale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the ODE do you consider "MONSTROUS"? Such a curious comment....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
What about the ODE do you consider "MONSTROUS"? Such a curious comment....


Heha, the size

Actually I think most agree the game, for what you got, was far under priced. So even if they did release something that big again with all of the components the price would have to go up as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I've always considered ODE a RESOURCE; It gives me the components to create an combo RPG within the confines of the HEX/Chit/Mini mechanics. and the more components I have the more my imagination expands the Ogreverse; whether fan based or canon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERSCHEL SARNOFF
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have bought 2 Kickstarter editions and 2 retail boxes in the last month. I have paid from $80 to $200.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.