Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At Buckeye GameFest this past week, three of us played H44 campaign game . I was the Germans, Gary Mengle the 30 Corps commander and Thomas Cadenhead the Airborne forces commander. While the game certainly can be played two player, I think three may be ideal. Four would get a bit crowded but I've seen it done.

We started around 9:30 Friday morning and called it at around 6:30 with one turn to go, the Allies winning 9 to 4.5 VP I think.

The situation at the end of the game was:

Other than a line from Best to S'Hertgenbosch, the Germans were wiped out south of Grave. Both the bonus VP towns on the side of the board were cleared with just a few turns to spare . A small force was probing towards Uden in an attempt to cut the highway, but was not going to make it in time.

I had managed to counterattack and re-take Grave with the 107th just before 30 Corps arrived and they spent several turns digging me out. However I didn't retake the actual bridge, preventing me from re-wiring it. However even in Grave, it prevented ground trace supply from heading up the road.

The Allies had just taken the south end of NIjmegen bridge, with the rail bridge blown as the game ended. As it was historically, the Germans were very hard to dig out in Nijmegen. I had held the area to the east of the city in order to limit how many hexes ( just 2 until the very end ) the Allies could attack the south end of the bridge with , and this limited the Allies to low odds attacks. I had also gotten both the 406th as well as the 2nd SS Artillery in range to help out.

Several battalions had been ferried across the Wall in an attempt to lever out the Germans defending on the north bank . I had moved a lot of units across both the Pannerden ferry as well as the ferries south of Ede, but I couldn't be everywhere. I had counter attacked and forced one airborne battalion back across the river.

In Arnhem, the Poles got a break and with totally clear weather landed on turn 9. They relieved the paras holding the north end and thus both ends were held along with the city hex leading towards Oosterbeek. I had compressed the airborne perimeter but but not separated the bridge defenders from the rest of the division.

As the Germans in retrospect some important lessons learned:

- casualties don't matter, VP wise. Your units might be shit, but you have a lot of them, in terms of steps, especially around Arnhem. As you take losses, remember to combine units to maximize your attack strength rather than Overstack .

Don't be afraid to attack even at 1:1. An EX result is a win in the long run . And an ENG result limits how much the Allies can re-position units. I waited too long, esp in the 1st Airborne sector. Even late in the game, the Allies will be very stretched out esp near Best.

- those crappy tank units still give an Armor bonus. Spread them out and send one or two to help the Tettau units, where the 1st Airborne perimeter will be weaker. They will be taken as losses when EX results come into play - nothing you can do about it. Damn Gammon bombs....

- I may try ferrying a crappy tank to help the defense of Nijmegen next time. Remember you can only do this at night.

- Grabner's Elite status is key when the eventual Determined Defense bonus comes into play - send him to Nijmegen to buff up the south end of the bridge.

- Send units from the I box to reinforce the east side of the Nijmegen area. By doing so you can limit the attack frontage into the city. The artillery unit can safely stay off map most of the time or be put near the Waal where the Allies usually won't be able to get at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Marty. Really useful thanks.

I'll be playing this solo most (if not all) of the time. Appreciate there were three of you but what are your thoughts as to how 'solo friendly' H44 might be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its as solo friendly as any other hex and counter game. There is no hidden info - even in the two player game, the German player can't look at Unknown unit strengths til they are revealed. Since the action on the map can be broken down into geographical chunks, its easy to do one segment at a time. I solo'd the game the weekend before the con and got through nine turns in about as many hours, but that was with some rules look up, it would go faster once you get the hang of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Marty - really useful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.