Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is impossible to give a good session report for 7th continent without giving spoilers. Therefore this is NOT a good session report.

Curse: Voracious Goddess.
Players: 3 players...Ferdinand, Keelan and Pendelton.

WE DID IT ! ! ! WE FINALLY LIFTED THE CURSE ! ! !
What a feeling of accomplishment. This is not just winning a game, this feels like a major achievement that we will remember for years.

We played at the medium level (no 777 card). All three of us decided to take the game very seriously. We intended not to die. We agonized over every decision.

Time: In all it took us 17,5 hours spread over 5 sessions (once a week). From the start the game was totally engaging. We took our time with most decisions. Later in the game we sped up. I would say that we played two or three times faster in the last hour compared to the first hour. The length of the game is a big investment but totally worth it.

Lost: At one point we were lost for about 4 hours. Eventually we found the correct path again. There are clues...use them. So without getting lost, completing the curse would have taken us 14 hours.

Not dying: We were determined not to die. Our health deck came down to 1 card once and under 5 cards 2 more times (though we never had to draw cards from the discard pile). These were very dramatic moments. The time that we were down to one card we were surrounded by snow with no hope of survival, we made a difficult choice and by miracle we found some food. What a great game moment ! ! !

Hunting and fishing: (some spoilers here) Some other players have complained that they die a lot. The game is hard but not that hard. As hinted in the rulebook you can hunt and fish. This took about 5% of the total game time (not much more). My advice is build at least some hunting (and fishing)equipement and fire starting equipment, (have some fighting equipment also). Look for clues as to where to hunt and fish. When you do hunt and fish, get lots of food at once. Only hunt on yellow cards in emergencies.

Clues:
The images are full of clues, use them. The geography of the continent makes sense. Use it. Information is your friend. If something looks dangerous then skip it. If something looks like a stupid move then think twice if you need to do it. We skipped over tons and tons of things that we could have examined. Some people can resist everything but temptation...and there will be lot's of temptation. Some people want to look under every rock because they don't want to miss anything. DON'T EXPLORE EVERYTHING !

But to solve the curse you have to do some things that you know will be dangerous. We often would end up thinking: "they didn't put that trap there for nothing. This is obviously the way to go".

Another huge clue is that some sections of the game have symbols (purple flag symbols) for a different curse. When we see those then we surmise that that section of the map was build for a different curse. All in all pay attention to detail.

Overall:
I really liked that you learned how to do things by playing. For example, in the rules they don't tell you how to get rid of the "states" (bad red cards). But the game tells you. The game also tells you how to win but not for a long time. YOU HAVE TO TRUST THE GAME. Boy is this game well designed. So many details were done right.

WE BEAT THE CURSE ! ! !
Now I can play other games for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great advice! Did you guys include any of the expansions such as The 7th Continent: Fear the Devourers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
Lots of great advice! Did you guys include any of the expansions such as The 7th Continent: Fear the Devourers?

I own several expansions but we did not include any of them. There is so much in the base game that expansions are not necessary the first time you play. The base game felt massive. 7TH continent is big.

18 hours for one curse is plenty long. We explored perhaps one half to two thirds of the terrain cards.

We are going to take a break from 7th continent for a few months. For our next curse we will probably add the expansion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your report.
We are currently 10 hours in our first attempt at Voracious Godess. Also determined no to die . We also had a narrow escape in the show (but there was a snow storm on top of that, nasty thing - we use the weather expansion but not the other ones).

We generally explore everything but do not wander off the course charted on the VG map. We currently have some extra food and several good bonus cards and feel optimistic. (We have the 777 but have not used it yet, also managed to not eat the goat)

Edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
It is impossible to give a good session report for 7th continent without giving spoilers.

There may come a time in the future when such spoiler-full reports could be shared.
I'm making story-related notes as we play - mostly to send to players that were not present for the particular session, our gaming group is a bit fickle these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dill wrote:
Thanks for your report.
We are currently 10 hours in our first attempt at Voracious Godess. Also determined no to die . We also had a narrow escape in the show (but there was a snow storm on top of that, nasty thing - we use the weather expansion but not the other ones).

We generally explore everything but do not wander off the course charted on the VG map. We currently have some extra food and several good bonus cards and feel optimistic. (We have the 777 but have not used it yet, also managed to not eat the goat)

Edit: typos

We started the curse without the 777 card. This made us more careful. But by the 10th hour, I think if we had died, we would have pulled out the 777 card and used it anyways. I would rather use the 777 card than start over from the beginning. BUT we played as if we did not have it.

Good luck to a fellow explorer !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Question about the curse Voracious Goddess (spoilers)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have walked up and down following the map up to the closed gate in the stones. So I wonder what I missed to actually get to the statue on the clue-card/map. the map has numbers. do I have to do something particular at number 1 and 2 apart from finding the two gears and getting on the sub marine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Question about the curse Voracious Goddess (spoilers)
I have walked up and down following the map up to the closed gate in the stones. So I wonder what I missed to actually get to the statue on the clue-card/map. the map has numbers. do I have to do something particular at number 1 and 2 apart from finding the two gears and getting on the sub marine?
Nothing else is needed or expected on the start island. But I’m not getting from your description where you actually are right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Many thanks M Edwards,
I died and try from the start
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Many thanks M Edwards,
I died and try from the start

Dying on the first islands is not so bad.

The clue map is mostly about letting you know how to get to the Goddess. We got lost for 4 hours at one point. But we retraced out steps and found terrain that matched the clue map. After that we did not get lost. But some of what we learned when lost came in useful. Also when lost we found good hunting spots so it was not a complete waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi marc,

I did not die on the starting island but followed the complete route to on the clue card to stand in front..

of the massive closed gates. I know try to find a way to open it on my next run(s).
recently I discovered the cave on clue map point 4 and sticking my hand a couple of times in this mount full of wholes I know
collected 3 of those special items and they have the sad effect that all my dices are almost used up.

Do I really need to put a dice on those items that I find?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
M Edwards,

I am don't know where to look next for the VG curse. I think
I have explored all that makes sense for this curse.
Could you help me out with a simple yes/no answer

Question:
I have been to the swap on the west, seen the complete path to the statue shown on the VG clue, traveled down the mine that comes up when you hop on the baskets and just yesterday I spotted the temple at point 4 of the VG clue map. Been through the temple but not figured out what happened after I pulled on the fish and its cord.
Do I need to look more in that temple or is that not relevant for the VG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
metallon wrote:
M Edwards,

I am don't know where to look next for the VG curse. I think
I have explored all that makes sense for this curse.
Could you help me out with a simple yes/no answer

Question:
I have been to the swap on the west, seen the complete path to the statue shown on the VG clue, traveled down the mine that comes up when you hop on the baskets and just yesterday I spotted the temple at point 4 of the VG clue map. Been through the temple but not figured out what happened after I pulled on the fish and its cord.
Do I need to look more in that temple or is that not relevant for the VG?

Yes, that temple is necessary. Other hints are possible, but I'll just say that for now. Keep exploring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Tim Bennett!
Thanks for the reply!
I keep exploring then
Do you know if I have to put dice on those items I find even when the have a keyword like "fetish"?
So far I have the understanding that it is not necessary to use up my 4 dice just for those items I find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metallon wrote:
Hi Tim Bennett!
Thanks for the reply!
I keep exploring then
Do you know if I have to put dice on those items I find even when the have a keyword like "fetish"?
So far I have the understanding that it is not necessary to use up my 4 dice just for those items I find.

Why not? They are item cards and have the die icon. You're supposed to either use a die for them or put them into an existing item stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metallon metallonorg
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Ren,
Thanks for your reply.
That makes it difficult
I got so much "junk" I need to discard it to make room
for cool weapons or walking stick/poles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a few people I know (including our group), play with the optional rule that you can ignore the limit on number of items as long as you don't leave the card you are currently on.

This simulates putting things down on the ground until you are ready to travel to the next card.

The most common examples:
All your items are full (all your teams dice are taken) and you want to build a fire. First you have to build the fire starter item. Normally you would have to discard something useful. But we play that we can have an extra item as long as we use it up before moving on. So we use the fire starter item (and discard it) to start a fire. Now we are back to the limit of items.

Another example is when we find food. They are items. So you normally would have to discard some item to be able to catch food. We play that we can be over the limit with the newly caught food as long as we eat it right away. So by the time we are ready to move to a new card, the food has been eaten and we are no longer above our item limit.

It is cheating a little but thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls