Hide
21 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Can you randomly die after 15 hours? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan O
msg tools
After reading/watching a bunch of reviews I understand that this game (at least the first curse) is long, but I'm not really sure how random it is. I'm worried about situations where I've been playing for 15 hours and something totally outside of my control kills me.

I found this situation happening fairly often during This War Of Mine and found it really negatively affected my perception of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not randomly, no. You'll know when you're close to dying and there are actions you can take to stave off death like hunting and fishing.

Also, easy mode allows you an "extra life" to keep going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do not play conservatively and go through your deck of action cards, then yes you can randomly die after 15 hours (because a curse card can occur anywhere in the reshuffle). As long as you keep tight control of your action deck and make sure it does not go empty, you are pretty safe I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It depends on how well you manage the Action deck, and whether you want to explore everything or not. As you take actions you have to draw and discard those cards in order to complete actions. Drawing more cards allows you to play the odds of success better.

If you use up the whole deck (there are ways to refill it), you then shuffle and draw from the discard pile for every action and if you draw a curse card it is instant death.

I've played around 10 hours or so across 4-5 sessions and have died twice. While I didn't mind starting over since I knew where to go and what specific actions to take to move forward, the real pain was in putting back the banished and 'in the past' cards back in their correct spots

Just starting out, you don't know what you are supposed to be doing so you'll end up spending a lot of cards just exploring around until you get a little familiarity with things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, there is no: 'draw a card, you're dead!' Events in the game. You may be faced with a situation where you choose to do something dangerous and the consequence is death. Or the cost to avoid death is more than you can pay. But these are rare compared to just simply running through your action deck - once that happens, you are on borrowed time and can lose at any moment unless you can get your action deck rebuilt.

This game is not a campaign where death is rare. You are expected to die and restart the curse with additional knowledge to help you get further. Some people have lifted the first curse on their first or second attempt.

In short, your death moment itself is 'random', but you know it's coming if you don't replenish your health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did come across one instance where I could have died very much near the end of the first curse, The Voracious Goddess. I'll make this spoiler free. Actually, I'll use an analogy.

I was playing as Luke Skywalker. I was hanging on the edge of a bottomless pit, and I just drew a card that required 3 successes to land safely in an exhaust vent. The bad stuff was "You fall, and you adventure comes to an end."

So, I really really needed those three successes, otherwise Vader was going to kill me. There's a table in the book that shows your odds of succeeding based on required successes and cards drawn. I was definitely gonna draw enough cards to push the odds up to 95% or more, then I think I added an extra 3 cards.

Point being, this wasn't random. I knew that I needed to expend a lot of extra energy (draw extra cards) to guarantee success. I also knew that I shouldn't enter Cloud City without enough cards in the draw pile, in case things went belly up.

Kinda got off topic there. You can put yourself into a situation where you lose, but it's (nearly) always because of the decisions you make, not the randomness of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evidenc3 wrote:
After reading/watching a bunch of reviews I understand that this game (at least the first curse) is long, but I'm not really sure how random it is. I'm worried about situations where I've been playing for 15 hours and something totally outside of my control kills me.

I found this situation happening fairly often during This War Of Mine and found it really negatively affected my perception of the game.

As others have said, it doesn't seem that you could be chugging along just fine and then suddenly die with the turn of a card. If you don't manage your Action Deck (which can be hard to do), you can get into a situation where a single card draw will kill you, but you will have made lots of decisions along the way that led to that moment.

Also, there are some events where the failure result is death for your character. In a multiplayer game, that doesn't mean the end of your campaign... if you are playing solo with one character, that would be death and start over. I don't know if I've actually run into those myself, so I don't know if you are forced to take those actions immediately or if you can prepare and increase your chance of success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a chance to randomly die...I used an item as a modifier to draw a different card at one location and the result was my death

You can always choose to back up and pretend you didn't perform/do such an action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are rare (so far), but I did have one "you die" moment (unrelated to my action deck).

edit: To be clear, it wasn't totally random, but I wasn't really aware of the gravity of the situation until it was upon me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, most of the deaths come from exhaustion of the action deck, so not really random. There are a few cases where a failed action can result in sudden death, but there are hints about the risks, and sometimes also a last chance action. I don't think there are any "unfair" and sudden death.
This War of Mine and The 7th Continent share the survival concept. But while This War of Mine is about the absurdity and unfairness of the war, The 7th Continent is about exploration, adventure and storytelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
There is a chance to randomly die...I used an item as a modifier to draw a different card at one location and the result was my death

You can always choose to back up and pretend you didn't perform/do such an action
Yeah but it probably wasn't random. You actively chose to do something where death was likely a reasonable outcome. You just thought it wasn't the outcome you would get because of the modifier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Not randomly, no. You'll know when you're close to dying and there are actions you can take to stave off death like hunting and fishing.

Yeah but you can die to a bad draw during hunts.

So I'd answer that yes, you totally can. You can trigger a downward spiral of bad luck from which it will be difficult to come back.

You can also make a poor decision and pay it with your life. And it might be random. I saw at least 3 instances of that, 2 of which you were warned of before taking the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Yeah but you can die to a bad draw during hunts.

So I'd answer that yes, you totally can. You can trigger a downward spiral of bad luck from which it will be difficult to come back.

You can also make a poor decision and pay it with your life. And it might be random. I saw at least 3 instances of that, 2 of which you were warned of before taking the action.

Totally agree that bad hunting results can spiral and perhaps you could point back to a single bad draw of cards (random event)... but again, you made 100 decisions leading up to that point. Perhaps those were all reasonable decisions and not too risky, but compare this to another long game with brutal randomness - Kingdom Death Monster.

In KDM, you can have a totally healthy and leveled up character, flip over an event card and then roll a D10. If you rolled a 1, you're dead. That's it. This happens all over that game and makes it completely brutal. In most cases, you are just losing one character in your game and not the whole settlement, but losing your best character to a die roll where there are zero opportunities to mitigate is super harsh. 7th Continent really doesn't have this sort of brutal random death in it. As has been stated, there are ways to die unexpectedly and there are ways to die after a series of choices led you to a random draw... but it's not the sort of game where you're going to flip a card and then want to flip the table too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
garry_rice wrote:

Yeah but it probably wasn't random. You actively chose to do something where death was likely a reasonable outcome. You just thought it wasn't the outcome you would get because of the modifier.

Perhaps we missed the clues...but it caught us completely off guard We weren't aware such cards were in the game...and the item we were using seemed to be something that would help keep us safe...ah well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="garry_rice"]There is a chance to randomly die...I used an item as a modifier to draw a different card at one location and the result was my death

You can always choose to back up and pretend you didn't perform/do such an action[/questions]

Cheater! CHEATER! Im telling the other Garry!
I think the majority have done something of that nature at least once. I have. There was this great Thread about Do you Cheat in Solo Games.
Enjoy Garry, I will be waiting awhile before I can play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I've no idea which insta-death you might be talking about... I'm curious but I won't ask. I did a rather reckless thing at one point, because I had to in order to lift the curse. There were 2 similar dangerous actions and I had to choose betweet them, which made me very nervous because I thought if I had misunderstood the clue there was a good chance that I would die. Was it perhaps a similar circumstance?

Personally, the only time I've seen the text "your adventure ends here" on a card, it was a negative consequence of a very dangerous action. And it made thematic sense that, if I was attempting to for example climb up a precipice, falling down would mean certain death. There were also similar actions where the negative consequence was just "draw card XYZ" -- it could have been death or an injury or losing my items, I don't know because I either avoided those actions or made sure I was prepared. But if I had failed one of those very dangerous attempts, and if the card had said "you die", I wouldn't have said it was random or surprising because thematically I was putting myself in great danger.

Other than that, the greatest danger I've faced is dying due to pulling a curse from the discard deck, but that's not random because you can see when the action deck is running out. At least so far there isn't anything like the good old random deaths from the CYOA books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elia - "Rainbow Hippie" Acca
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
At least so far there isn't anything like the good old random deaths from the CYOA books.

Oh how I hated those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Accatitippi wrote:
Ren3 wrote:
At least so far there isn't anything like the good old random deaths from the CYOA books.

Oh how I hated those.

You're standing in your house, where you've lived your entire life. Your Mom calls up from downstairs that it's time for breakfast...

If you'd like to go back to bed TURN TO PAGE 35...
If you'd like to go downstairs TURN TO PAGE 67...

[67]

You rush downstairs, hungry and eager. But you forgot to tie your shoelaces! Oh no! After tripping, on the stairs you break your neck and die.

THE END
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
Hmm, I've no idea which insta-death you might be talking about... I'm curious but I won't ask. I did a rather reckless thing at one point, because I had to in order to lift the curse. There were 2 similar dangerous actions and I had to choose betweet them, which made me very nervous because I thought if I had misunderstood the clue there was a good chance that I would die. Was it perhaps a similar circumstance?

Personally, the only time I've seen the text "your adventure ends here" on a card, it was a negative consequence of a very dangerous action. And it made thematic sense that, if I was attempting to for example climb up a precipice, falling down would mean certain death. There were also similar actions where the negative consequence was just "draw card XYZ" -- it could have been death or an injury or losing my items, I don't know because I either avoided those actions or made sure I was prepared. But if I had failed one of those very dangerous attempts, and if the card had said "you die", I wouldn't have said it was random or surprising because thematically I was putting myself in great danger.

Other than that, the greatest danger I've faced is dying due to pulling a curse from the discard deck, but that's not random because you can see when the action deck is running out. At least so far there isn't anything like the good old random deaths from the CYOA books.

If you are interested I've put it in spoiler below.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a place where you can climb up a cliff face. We had the rope which would seem to offer a safer alternative so we used it to try and climb to the top...but the card we drew basically said we fell and died...the end. No skill check, etc. We didn't really see anything to indicate death was likely...sure you are climbing a cliff, but we have a rope and I didn't really read the text to suggest that it was any more dangerous than it was to climb to the location we were at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Politis
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

If you are interested I've put it in spoiler below.

There is a place where you can climb up a cliff face. We had the rope which would seem to offer a safer alternative so we used it to try and climb to the top...but the card we drew basically said we fell and died...the end. No skill check, etc. We didn't really see anything to indicate death was likely...sure you are climbing a cliff, but we have a rope and I didn't really read the text to suggest that it was any more dangerous than it was to climb to the location we were at.

I'd like to see this card. Where were you on the map? Use spoiler tags, but be add explicit as you can add to the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Digging into my notes and trying to reconstruct it, we may have made a mistake.

We were on card 294 and took the climb action...I think we added the +10 modifier from the rope, which in retrospect was probably wrong (swirly symbol. It tells you to draw card 337 if successful, to which we added 10 from the rope to get 347...and which then results in instant death. Card 347 does have 337 at the bottom so I thought we were on the right track...again it looks like I got that rule wrong as well...so I will retract my statement for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.