Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time tonight. 4 player game. I was Psilon, Josh was Meklar, Rob was Alkari. Smriti was Mrrshan.

Josh got out Space Station in round 1, which amused me because I'd been intending to get my own out. (Start of turn: bonus action if you have the lowest fleet power, ties being friendly).

I got my own out in round 3, and we tied a couple of times, but then Josh built some fleet production not realizing it happened before he checked his station.

The really fun thing was I had no fleet production at all, but I was attacking the most of anyone thanks to cards that could produce fleet in the middle of the round.

For the last few rounds I ended up having 7 actions each turn thanks to high production, space station, and the advisor who lets you bank a cube when you attack for next round.

I had a big lead going into final scoring, but my tableau was really light on points. I still managed to squeek out a win; I had 57, Josh 55, Smriti 54, and Rob 45.

2 points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
And what are your thoughts after the first play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Monkatron wrote:
And what are your thoughts after the first play?

I'm also curious - it sounds like a fun game, with close scores and some different strategies coming out, but you don't really comment on whether people enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, sorry. Everyone really enjoyed it! It seemed like there were a number of different possible strategies, nothing seemed particularly dominant, there were many meaningful decisions to be made, and it played very quickly and smoothly considering it was everyone's first game and the depth involved.

I have some minor complaints like typos (there were a few cards that said "you" instead of "your") and the Meklar and Darlok art being switched. My biggest complaint is probably that in this four-player game, we had to reshuffle a couple of times and by the end of the game the deck was getting very small. I wish it were about 50% larger.

One tip I'll suggest is when you spend your cubes on actions, put them on the space on your mat for that action. This happens naturally for things that have action spaces already (cards and the propaganda action), but it's also really helpful to put cubes e.g. on the construction space when you build a card. I found that I kept forgetting to spend cubes when I took my actions until I started doing this, and it made it a lot easier to keep track and notice if something was missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just played a two player game with my son today. Like Ian said above, lots of options. We had a card quality issue with one card which hopefully will get replaced.

Otherwise I'd say this is really a gem at 2 or 3 players. Lots of choices for which strategy to focus on. Lots of ways to diversify as well.

The rule that only the top card of a system (stack) is able to be used for its special ability makes for some really interesting choices.

Very surprised more people haven't discovered this.

It also has the same problem that other games like this have, Race for the Galaxy, Terraforming Mars. You need to play it once to see the combos. Afterwards, you're really set for some interesting play.

It has the mechanical feel of Terraforming Mars without the board but with a thematic feel of Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.