Subject: 2D Command Posts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
So while I have the massive ODE set, I'm generally not a fan of the 3D parts, and use the flat Ogres for the most part (sheet J1). The problem is there aren't any flat CP's to use in the game.

Steve Jackson Games has this link:

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/img/ogre-pob-lineart.pdf

Which allows you to make your own parts. I downloaded it, then used my screen zoom to make the CP image area as large as I could, next a screen cap, and then took that PNG and made a JPG using "Irfanview" as my editing software.

Then in Irfanview I did some edits, added color and a name, then made a batch to print on photo paper, to laminate to cardstock. I will use them on opposite sides of the cardstock, so these six images will become three, two sided flat counters.

One is of course an in-joke for fans of SJG.

Not sure of anyone else's printer software, but going through Irfanview, mine used a setting of "scaled" at .16% on both axis to print properly.
You want them to be about 40mm across the flats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichols
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see the name on the sixth CP. is it supposed to be blank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
92 8 13 10/19/89
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almighty Dave wrote:
I can't see the name on the sixth CP. is it supposed to be blank?
What "sixth CP"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichols
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake. I guess there are only five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the stealth CP. BTW, they are on their way to both your houses already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupthumbsup

Welcome to the fanbased Ogreverse. Hoping you plan to stay a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up using spray adhesive and then mounted these to some of the leftover black foamcore from the "dice tray event".

Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
Welcome to the fanbased Ogreverse. Hoping you plan to stay a while.

I bought 'Ogre' in 1977, direct from Metagaming via mail order from an ad in the back of Analog. Yeah, I think I'm here to stay ...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T K
msg tools
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

I hope SJGs does a KS for flat OGRE units and structures...start off with the traditional faction colors of red and blue. Top-down view. Even have a flat radio tower for example like the one on the BGG Sponsor Sheet.

What would be on the other side? The destroyed version of the OGRE or structure.

Why???

To expand the line from the KS Designers Edition ones and give players flat OGREs in the traditional red and blue faction colors.
Because they allow players to stack the tokens.

This whole thing could potentially be dialed in, formated and worked on to include all such units and structures. For example, we don't have top-down views of the following from the SJGs link you provided:
Combine CP (we only have the round section), Lasers and Laser Turrets (we don't have the structures bases, only their turrets).

Of course we can always FanMake our own, but I'd also like to buy ones made from SJGs.
...KS away SJGs...the 3D and flat unit chipboard sheets are a boon to OGRE just waiting to be fully realized and sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry I missed my chance at destroying/defending the new CPs yesterday.

I still think it would be easier to just buy one of those portable luggage dollies and custom build a cabinet to store Ogre stuff. A second hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After-action report:

i grabbed the original-size image, scaled it down to 16%, printed it out, glued it to foamcore, and carefully cut out all <cough>5</cough> of the CPs. Maybe it's a difference between the native Combine scaling and my local PanEuro scaling, but 16% gave me 35mm counters, which is an almost uncomfortably tight fit. They'll do as-is, but if i were to do them again i'd:

a) scale them down smaller, maybe 14% (or even 10%) instead of 16%.

b) glue them to beer coaster instead of foamcore. Beer coaster is about as thick as the "official" counters and is far more durable than foamcore. (The edges of foamcore degrade/fray with usage.)

Pics or it didn't happen: here are all <cough>5</cough> of the CPs on a 6E board:

i would love to have some of these in different color schemes. Hint, hint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice! I printed mine at 16%, and they came out slightly oversize to a hex -- because the original SJG counters are slightly oversize too.

What color scheme would you like, Stephan? I saved the core artwork as a black and white image for later versions, you know.

By the same thinking, I can also place custom names on the artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Very nice! I printed mine at 16%, and they came out slightly oversize to a hex -- because the original SJG counters are slightly oversize too.

i didn't realize that until later on - my 3D CPs are even bigger.

Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
What color scheme would you like, Stephan? I saved the core artwork as a black and white image for later versions, you know.

i'm easy - i'll take anything i can get . Black and white is good .

Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

Or maybe a white box suitable for penciling in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidebar, based on an off-list mail exchange between myself and Jeff:

the original PDFs of this CP art were provided by SJG during the KS campaign, but i'm unable to find on them on https://www.sjgames.com/ogre (i would have sworn they were hosted there). Inkscape can import PDFs directly and extract any vector graphics, so i tried it out and sure enough, the original PDFs embed vector graphics rather than bitmaps.

i'm concerned that i might get backhand-slapped if i post you an SVG copy of these graphics, but if you are halfway familiar with Inkscape then it's easy to extract them:

1) open Inkscape

2) drag/drop the original PDF (named "ogre-pob-lineart.pdf") into Inkscape. It will ask you which page to extract - select the page with the 3D CP on it and click OKAY.

3) Select the whole image using Ctrl-A then ungroup the various object groups by tapping Ctrl-Shift-G (Menu: Object ==> Ungroup) several times until all groups are ungrouped.

4) Then you can mouse-select the main CP component, move it out of the way, and delete the rest. You'll need to get rid of the red cut-lines on the CP, but that's a separate item group, so simply select that line and tap the delete key.

Optionally, re-select the 2 or 3 groups which compose the CP graphic and tap Ctrl-G to re-group them (that makes moving the CP graphic around much easier).

From there, you can edit/color it as you like.

(edit: LOL - the "rolled googly eye" effect was apparently a mistake on my part during the conversion. On the second attempt the "eyes" were centered.)

EDIT: the PDFs are linked to from the ODE KS project page:

http://sjgames.com/ogre/img/ogre-pob-lineart.pdf
http://sjgames.com/ogre/img/ogre-pob-noart.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having imported the CP into Inkscape, it takes only a few moments to create a variety of hacks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot to update. I also did a 2D version of the NAC CP.

Just so I'm not taking sides or anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you make them fragile so they actually get destroyed when I run them over?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

print them on tissue paper :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

Sadly, I haven't even test printed them yet. Been too busy messing with a PnP of "The Royal Game of Ur" for a friend. I did buy more foamcore though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
martimer wrote:

Sadly, I haven't even test printed them yet. Been too busy messing with a PnP of "The Royal Game of Ur" for a friend. I did buy more foamcore though!

The Royal Game of Ur is awesome. I saw the original one in the British Museum this summer :-)

There's a great video of it being played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a copy of that on Ebay of $5. Much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:

A CP for the Black Rose Mercs using their colour would be good. And extending that further, you have the Belgian, Vatican, Sons of Nassau, Pinkies, etc., I guess as well.

I think this is great work, as I too prefer the 2D counters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly do a Black Rose scheme ... I'd post the plain black and white artwork as an image in my gallery, but don't want to fall afoul of SJG and their various policies.

I'm not sure I got the colors exactly correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.