Subject: Ogre travel kit(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've recently had the opportunity to start playing Ogre again on a regular basis. The question is, how to get a reasonable supply of Ogre Designers Edition game components there, and not kill myself, or make my hernia worse than it already is.

I've long had a small "travel kit" with the old Metagaming/SJG releases all in one place:

We're playing with 6E and ODE parts though.

So a new travel kit was in order. Step 1, cheap $5 plastic tote from Michaels. Blue, clear, or pink. I chose blue:

Dice tray, just because I felt like it. 12" x 13" x 1" tall, forms bottom layer of box:

Ogre orange maps in place:

Rule book, player aids, dice supply (in storage container - doubles as dice cup):

Plano 3500 series box with supply of 2D counters, enough to play any Ogre or GEV scenario -- Ready to Play:

If we decide to get fancy, I've got everything else, but with all the other factions, overlays, etc., that takes up a further 12 Plano cases.

Revisionist history below:

The new dice tray and revised storage with "Ogre tray".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ogre travel kit
I was just going to use a furniture dolly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I question the legality of that dice tray.... ninja

LOL sorry! read your other thread! My hat's off to you as you are a most conscientious gamer to consider asking such things. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I was just going to use a furniture dolly.

This of course was all inspired by the multiple dice in use on Thursday ...

Rolling five to ten dice at once for treads means lots of dice bouncing all over.

Next I'm making a small foamcore tray to fit that dead spot, so I can load in several 3D Ogres as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept. But would getting a copy of 6e and filling it with what components you want from your ODE work out? At least you have the garage...just thinking out loud...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
Dice tray, just because I felt like it...

Because you FELT like it! Ha!!! FELT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misplaced Buckeye wrote:
I like the concept. But would getting a copy of 6e and filling it with what components you want from your ODE work out? At least you have the garage...just thinking out loud...

Then I'd have even more stuff to store (and another faction color)! I seldom keep the original game boxes for anything. The vacuformed inserts are often very nice -- but they also entail a huge amount of empty space in any given box. I also like having the Plano trays for quick counter selection.

Next up is a travel box for the four "S" and "G" maps ... and the spare Ogre map (and whatever else fits).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the next step is a travel box for "Everything Else".

To backtrack a bit, here's the counter manifest for the Plano 3600 with Ogre/G.E.V. :

The second tote (from Menards) with all the green maps, and my small counters travel kit:

Second rulebook and player aids, old travel kit, and the very small tertiary counter box:

And the counter manifest for the lesser used counters. This small box was from a hobby shop crafts area, and inside it were nine small petri dish style bead jars:

I also have a third box, that is the same design as box two, but half the height. I can place the two sections of map G1 in it, and then the Plano 3600, and it becomes the G.E.V. kit alone. The whole process starts up again next month when the Ogre Minis arrive.

Thanks for following along!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found this at a local recycling store. Couldn't pass it up for the price. Great for transporting a large scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet more of an update. I found I could shoehorn five of those smaller plastic trays into the large tote with the green maps, so here they are.

Revised load out for the original small tray:

The rest of the "manpower" from the base game:

A variety of overlays and bits in two trays, seldom needed, but nice to have on hand:

And some random stuff from the "Classic Counters" set to replace 3D pieces, plus extra dice:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How come all I can hear in my head is "Colorforms fun"? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
And some random stuff from the "Classic Counters" set to replace 3D pieces, plus extra dice:

Those rounded corners look great . How did you do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the result of the infamous "Oregon Laminations" corner clipper -- popular with many wargamers. There's a huge thread on it in the wargaming forum. I can't recall which one I used, the 2mm or 2.5mm one.

http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-2MM_2mm_Corner_Cutter_Punch_R...

http://www.oregonlam.com/C-006-2-5MM_2-5mm_Corner_Cutter_Pun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
That's the result of the infamous "Oregon Laminations" corner clipper -- popular with many wargamers.

45 bucks just to pretty up the corners is out of my budget :/. The results sure are nice, though .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not just the money, you can only do about a hundred counters an hour. One the plus side, spending time on your games is always nice. Essentially, you buy one fewer game and all your games look better. And people think you're nuts.

You can get a similar effect with ordinary nail clippers, but it's not nearly as nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

... And people think you're nuts.

And we spent how much on ODE, which is really just a 30 pound box of cardboard? whistle surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
It's not just the money, you can only do about a hundred counters an hour. One the plus side, spending time on your games is always nice. Essentially, you buy one fewer game and all your games look better. And people think you're nuts.

Pimping my games and their storage is kind of a meta-hobby of mine, but i can't justify 45 bucks for a corner trimmer . That's over 2x what it cost to completely sleeve Gloomhaven's 1700-odd cards (i'm a Compulsive Sleever). If i could get one for 10, maybe 15, i'd do it.

While a nail clipper would be an option, i'd be afraid of making them look worse :/.

Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
andreww wrote:

... And people think you're nuts.

And we spent how much on ODE, which is really just a 30 pound box of cardboard? whistle surprise

Two ODEs! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Found this case at a surplus shop for 10 bux. Use this for bigger scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.