Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awakening on the sandy beach of the Continent, hearing the waves roll in the distance and the moist against his bare feet, Raz took a quick stroll on the beach to try and clear his spirits. That's when he noticed something half buried in the sand. Which turned out to be a chest. Remembering that Forewarned is Forearmed, he managed to successfully open the chest, and while thinking about woven baskets, looted the chest for ammunition and a hunting knife. Now that's pretty handy. He decided that the knife would pair well with the rope. I guess his mind wasn't that clear after all. That's probably why, with access to foliage, his woven basket ended up with his food and his new camouflage outfit was stacked with his splint. Whatever. It was time to head North!

While travelling to the now snow-covered card 054, courtesy to BGG's promo, Raz happens to find a bamboo tube and attach it to the splint/outfit. A smart move you think? Will he get to use all his stuff? Patience, my child, patience.

For now, trying to walk out of the snow to the North, Raz experiences a moment of weakness. He's not used to snow you see, and this is all very tiring to him. He notices a hut under some brown trees up North, but he resigns and chooses to head East instead, as he remembers there might be some hunting ground, and maybe even an old camp. How does he remember that? Well that's a bit meta. Now, is it because he's weak and tired? Raz almost drops an item! Luckily he manages to come to just in the nick of time and becomes vigilant enough again that he manages to remember paying attention to his belongings. So much on his mind, so much in his arms too.

Noticing a hunting spot and some Fragonia plant, though, he doesn't stop there and pushes a bit more East, only to meet some bees! That's lucky, Raz has a camouflage outfit, and he manages to sneak through the bees and even to score some sweet, yummy honey! Being Forewarned is pretty helpful, is it not? But there, he sees it! The old camp! Rest, at last!

Thanks to thoughtful shenaningans (namely getting back a card with Serenity which turns out to be a Remember which is turned into a Forewarned), Raz manages to rest freely, getting rid of his tiredness, and gaining access to sweet advanced skills. But not before gaining a skill card for free thanks to the Path of Repentance. Milling 7 cards to achieve that feat he also scores a Gourmet skill. Neat. The free skill is Déjà-Vu. And then he levels up, and spends 11 of his 13 XP for the Antidote, Improved Camp and Sled skills which he crams into his deck along with Déjà-Vu. Things are looking good. Let's celebrate by gulping down some sweet honey.

Having access to wood, Raz builds a Friction Fire and sticks it to his bow before going back to the hut in the woods. Which turns out to be empty. Not letting his spirits go down, Raz manages to revive the fire that went down a moment ago. Maybe someone will come back to their hut a little later.

In the meantime he decides to get warm and cozy, to take time and study his notes, figuring out that Fragonias are able to conceal a human when he's hunting. Now that's some interesting progress. And he eats, too, slapping 28 cards back in the deck. What a meal! Time to move. West. To the swamps.

But not before carefully avoiding a myriad of caterpillars making their way back or out of the forest. Poor things.

Reaching the swamp and crafting a blowpipe that is sticked to the rope, he takes a look South, but all this turning around makes the terrain look vaguely familiar, and Raz almost gets lost. Through careful examination he manages to find his way back and earn 2 XP in the process, and notices something hidden in the bush at the Westmost side of this new part of the swamp. Upon closer inspection, a vicious bird starts jumping on him! The bird doesn't last long though, and gets slaughtered by knife and bow. Following its tracks deeper in the swamp, Raz gets lost in a labyrinth of tall weeds and ends up on a small dock. Where he notices a totem. The totem! It calls to him! Must... Hunt...

Let's dip a toe, what could go wrong?

Examining the dock in search of prey, Raz finds it a little unsteady but manages to keep his balance and makes it to the end of the dock, where he notices a rope that he pulls, only to find whiskey! Not in a jar, but in a bottle. Feeling brave he dips his toes in the water, but feels something slithering by. Upon closer inspection, and burying his head in the water, he cames face to blob with a giant jellyfish! Which he fails to fight, drawing no less than 3 curse cards, and gets heavily poisoned! Without immediate consequence, though. As you can imagine, Raz was quite disheartened (and not depressed, thank you), but the worst was yet to come.

To keep his spirits up, Raz decided to go hunting, putting his new knowledge of Fragonia in action. Hidden in the bush, he noticed a Vulture scavenging some corpse and managed to sneak by and frighten him, and to loot some meat, but not without getting bloodsoaked himself. Life in the wild, it ain't easy. Venturing further East, he found a torn-off page stuck on a low branch of a tall pine-tree: Eubellis, it lets you be picky about what you eat, and what you get back from the discard. Not bad! There's a tunnel too. An ominous one. With snow everywhere. Shudder to think of what's inside! But wait, there's a totem there too. Now he HAS to discover what's inside! He seems to remember a torch from a while ago. Going back to the hut to craft it, he also remembers that knowledge, it is power. And that Scholar is totally OP, too. He takes a bit before exploring some more, stuffing 14 cards back in the deck. And takes a nap, putting two cards from the discard back in his hand, and spending 8 XP to get Watch Out and Geology. Feeling confident, he crafts some Bolas and attaches them to his rope, and then head back to the tunnel, which he inspects only to find some cryptic symbols.

That was quite a walk!

Not entirely satisfied he puts down the torch before venturing back in the tunnel, and hears a loud screech, which terrifies him. After several failed attempts, Raz gets a hold of himself and finally investigates the sound... And comes face to face with a huge rhino-beetle! Using his bow and knife he manages to slay the terrifying beast, but is quite exhausted!

Not willing to let his energy fall down though he heads to the hunting spot and hides in the bush, prepared to fight some game. After examining some notes and finding that Fortiflore can cure nausea, he notices a mole-rat getting by and hunts!

The result is quite disastrous though, as all his hunting gear breaks down and he doesn't even kill the pathetic creature, end up injured and loses 4 cards, letting him on the verge of death with but 1 card in his deck. Oh my! Spending that ultimate card he makes it back to the hut and cooks himself some meat, gaining 14 cards back. Before leaving, he decides to use the last of his splint and heal his injury, leaving him with barely any belonging before saving his progress and cursing, once more, those dreaded Gold hunts!!!

A well deserved rest, but the awakening will be painful.

And that is the end of this 90 minutes session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
Razoupaf wrote:
And takes a nap, putting two cards from the discard back in his hand, and spending 8 XP to get Watch Out and Geology.
Lucky you! It may be just me, but I think that Geology is the best of the Advanced Skills (it's useful in so many places
Spoiler (click to reveal)
especially underground
to take actions for free).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I mostly choose skills because of their star value. Succeeding skill-checks is really hard with 11 curse cards in the action deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
True, and that is why during my run I chose to cap the curse cards in the Action Deck to 7... meeple

Also, when you get many advanced skills, you will get a newfound appreciation for the 7-star symbol (since an awful lot of the advanced skills give just a 7 and not a full star).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
Also, when you get many advanced skills, you will get a newfound appreciation for the 7-star symbol (since an awful lot of the advanced skills give just a 7 and not a full star).

Yeah I think that's what I like the most with this game: the turning point when 7s become more interesting than plain stars.
I love the advanced skill that lets you replenish your deck with as many cards as 7s you reveal. Great card, and fun way to push your luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Really? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I mostly choose skills because of their star value. Succeeding skill-checks is really hard with 11 curse cards in the action deck!

How about playing with Lovecraft? I thought his power of changing curse cards to would be really useful in a 7 curses game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galehar wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:

How about playing with Lovecraft? I thought his power of changing curse cards to would be really useful in a 7 curses game.

I wanted a custom character though His ability is interesting but his cards not as much as those I picked. I should have taken something else that Water Knows The Way and Nerves of Steel maybe but at the time it seemed right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
-
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try this some day too, but I've got a couple curses to go before I've done them all.

I'm curious how far you've planned out your optimal route and what order you'll remove the curses in. And also whether you plan on learning everything you need to know within this game, e.g. whether you plan on finding all the journal pages for the Forbidden Sanctuary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
I'm going to try this some day too, but I've got a couple curses to go before I've done them all.

I'm curious how far you've planned out your optimal route and what order you'll remove the curses in. And also whether you plan on learning everything you need to know within this game, e.g. whether you plan on finding all the journal pages for the Forbidden Sanctuary.

I haven't planned anything. For now I'm trying to level up and get a few pages. I'll try and lift the Goddess and the Black Chest as soon as I can. Then I'll try and lift the Offering. I have 0 knowledge of the Swamp, the Maze and the Sanctuary. The Bloody Hunt will be the last because I want to see all the targets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Razoupaf wrote:
I have 0 knowledge of the Swamp, the Maze and the Sanctuary.

Since you are putting a lot of effort in this playthrough, let me offer a pearl of wisdom to you then...

Don't enter the Sanctuary until you have gotten all the information you can find about it first. I'm serious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vetinari7878 wrote:
Don't enter the Sanctuary until you have gotten all
the information you can find about it first. I'm serious.

Oki doki. I'm really wary of anything that happens underground anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls