Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A legacy-style game that is a replayable filler?

Friedemann Friese is a game designer who is noted for being original. You only need to check out his green hair to see that he's a guy who likes to stand out. And then check out the names of his games - they nearly all begin with the letter F. And in his remarkable game 504 (2015), he came up with a concept of game with nine different modules that can be joined in different combinations, creating no less than 504 different games in the one box. Innovative and inventive - that's our famous friend Friedemann.

So if anyone can do the impossible in a game design, it's Mr Friese. In recent years the legacy genre has been popularized with the tremendously successful Risk Legacy (2011) and the #1 ranked Pandemic Legacy (2015). So what a legacy-style game that is completely replayable? A legacy-style game that is a filler? Unimaginable, unthinkable, surely? After all, these seem to be entirely contradictions in terms! Yet that is more or less what Friedemann Friese has achieved in with his ground-breaking game Fabled Fruit (2016). Here's a filler that can be played in under 20 minutes, and yet changes from game to game, and precisely these changes make it utterly compelling and replayable. One person described it well as follows: "This was the lunch time game I've been looking for all my life." (MrFettuccine)

The term Friedemann Friese has used to describe the evolving state of his game is the word "Fable". This fable style concept means that the game progresses over time, yet without being changed permanently as in a legacy game, while at the same time producing a dynamic game system that introduces more elements the more you play. And as an extra bonus, this new mechanic fortunately begins with the letter "F", which undoubtedly is no coincidence.

In Fabled Fruit you are relying on a simple worker placement mechanic to collect fruits in the forest. Each location offers unique benefits, but the options and mechanisms available will change as the game advances, with old locations eventually disappearing to be replaced by new ones, offering different combinations and possibilities. Can you collect the most fruits and create the most juices to be the supreme juice-maker in Fabled Fruit?

I've scoured the personal comments and skimmed through some reviews and other articles, and carefully organized some key quotations to bring you the important things you need to know and what other people think about Fabled Fruit. The parts in bold express my own conclusions, which are then expanded upon and substantiated by the citations that follow, to give you a feel of what most people are saying on each point. Perhaps you could call this a kind of "consensus of opinion", somewhat biased because I'm the one who gets to pick the quotes to include, but overall a well-rounded and fairly objective viewpoint. So here you have it, an at-a-glance overview of some of the majority opinions that you need to know about this innovative Friedemann Friese title.

NB: For more reviews like this, see this list.

Theme & Mechanics

1. Fabled Fruit has a whimsical theme in which players are animals moving to collect fruit in an effort to mix fabled fruit juices.
"Players try to mix three fruit juices by collecting the right set of cards to do so." - Der Gwiedo
"Basically, you move your animal to a location and either take the action at that location or spend fruit to obtain a fabled juice." - bnordeng

2. The game-play consists of a blend of three main mechanics: worker placement, set collection, and a legacy-style "fable" concept which involves constantly changing options.
"Light worker placement, set collection game with a legacy element to it which is very cool and is the main reason why this one is very popular in my house." - minatoyellowflash
"Good fairly simple gateway style worker placement and set collection game. The evolving "board" keeps the game fresh." - Helikoputtrik
"It's basically a worker placement and set collection game, but trying to make the most of the available actions each game is what makes it great, sort of akin to how you try to find the best synergy with each set of Dominion cards." - katanan
"At its core its a quite simple worker placement/set collection game but what makes it shine is how the available actions change and become available and disappear from play. It all creates many interesting combos and unique strategies as the game evolves." - pilot

3. The first main mechanic is worker placement.
"Cool worker placement game with a fair amount of strategy and an ever changing game situation as there are always new spots to play with." - trodat123
"This is a worker placement game where you gather resources that you can turn into VPs." - Surya
"Very Fun, Light Worker placement game." - eltopo1980
"Fabled Fruit might be the quintessential gateway game, as it starts out as the most basic worker placement game imaginable, but gradually turns into a truly interesting gamer's game." - Sortrose

4. The second main mechanic is set collection.
"Basic resource gathering/contract fulfillment as a framework, upon which a few different ideas are placed." - Bezman
"Really neat game of set collecting. Has a dominion set collecting feel." - CharlieWonka
"Feels more of a set collection delivery/contract fulfillment game than worker placement." - iamzimmer
"Novel new set-collection game with frequently-changing rules." - Ajax
"The gameplay itself is pretty basic set collection but exploring the deck and the various action is fun and creates a good amount of replay value." - Kaermo

5. The third main mechanic is the evolving fable concept.
"Seemingly simple worker placement / card game with surprising depth due to a legacy style mechanism that changes the available actions for each subsequent game. Really clever." - Ron 100mark
"The fabled mechanic keeps the game fresh with an ever changing set of worker placement spots." - avanspronsen
"A replayable Legacy game? Gasp." - dragonster
"This is a really good set collection game, with a fantastic campaign system backing it up." - drbobjack
"The game is almost filler like but plays like a legacy game as the game evolves as you play game after game." - rmiczek

The Fable system

The Fable system is one of the real draw-cards of this game, and there's a number of important things that can be said about it.

6. The Fable system involves a campaign style format where the location cards representing different worker placement options available to players change as the game progresses.
"Fabled Fruit is a very simple worker placement game at first, but as you play it will evolve. New options and mechanics are introduced. It's called the "Fable" system." - gr9yfox
"A very interesting take on a campaign format. You can't get through the whole deck in one sitting, and as you work through the deck the card combinations constantly change." - Tangram11
"It's a nice filler game, that refreshes itself by slowing adding new cards to use in the game, as old cards slowly work their way out as they get scored." - quietcorn
"Fast playing set collection game which morphs as play progresses: don't get used to a certain card/effect, it probably won't be around for long." - Quayde
"Each new location card set unlocks a new action/ability, which makes the game progressive for prolonged playability and replay ability." - Astragalus
"Even though the base conceit of set collection is very simple, new mechanics are constantly introduced while others fade away." - Bastwood

7. You can begin future games using the set of location cards that you ended with in the previous game, working your way through through a giant deck over the course of multiple games.
"The fun twist is that the action spaces are printed on the cards that you turn into VPs. So you cycle through those and can even keep the ones from the end of the last game to start from where you left out." - Surya
"It uses a new 'fable' system, which is really cool. You basically play through this giant deck of cards, but any one game will only use a very small amount of them. So you just keep playing over and over across multiple games until you get through them all." - Sandmanx82
"Starts as a very simple worker placement game but gradually evolves with more advanced and interesting actions as a non-destructive 'legacy' game. The game state can be 'saved' and continued at a later time and can be played with different groups at the same time." - vejrum
"Fun action selection game that lets you save the game after you're done and then start playing at the point you left off. So kind of like a legacy game except that it can be reset back to the beginning at any time." - greglios

8. Strictly speaking it isn't a legacy game, because no components are destroyed or permanently changed, and you can reset at any time.
"Fabled Fruit is described as a Legacy game, but I would argue that it is not." - Catyrpelius
"Much simpler than I expected for a pseudo-legacy game. Really, it's no different from any other game of card effect ilk ... The only new idea is that you start the next game with the card powers you ended up with at the end of the current game. It's easy enough to play, but I was expecting more." - PBrennan
"Not legacy, but more an evolving game." - Philipp Klarmann
"Stripped of the marketing around the ‘fable’ concept, in reality it plays out each time a little like a game of Dominion would if you slowly changed the set of increasingly complex Kingdom cards each time you play." - duckworp
"It isn’t a legacy game because it’s not permanently changed. You can reset the deck of cards at any time." - darknova
"Intriguing legacy game that changes every time you play it but doesn't permanently destroy the components like other games." - arod324
"Light/filler card game, but fun to play and watch the "fable" system evolve, "legacy"-style without any permanent changes/destruction to game components." - russ

9. This fable mechanic creates different combinations of options to explore each game, and even a single game features a dynamic with constantly new challenges.
"Worth to play and enjoy how the game changes with time." - KBoro
"It is fun to explore the different locations." - Norbert Chan
"Love the concept of the game, morphing and changing the more you play." - garyj
"UNIQUE: the non-destructive legacy mechanic is really clever and unique." - Matthias_K
"The cards have such varied powers and recipes that it keeps fresh and fun." - notclive
"The system is super cool, small changes in the game over time keep things interesting even with such a simple set of rules." - Maghd
"New cards that come out really make the game sing." - drbobjack
"The 'Fable' mechanic is not as thrilling and amazing as advertised but the core game is still a lot of fun and the Fable mechanism adds a lot of variety to an otherwise nice little game." - skudfisher
"There are a ton of different card combinations, so the possibilities are nearly endless." - newkillerstar27

10. This forces you to adjust your strategies as the game progresses, due to the changing options.
"What makes the game interesting is that the playing field changes not only from game-to-game but also during the game, requiring you to adapt as players purchase the available cards." - Arkeas
"The variety of actions available and the ever changing options, along with the campaign features, make this quite interesting for its weight." - paulrrahn
"Love how it changes every game, having to adjust your strategy." - MrFettuccine
"As the options available change regularly, it keeps you on your toes." - Galwyn
"What is beautiful is that from game to game meta changes and you can see players going from "OH! Thats easy! I will do that" to "My strategy don't work anymore. What to do, what to do?!" in few seconds. And then again in next game it changes slightly." - meehau

11. As a result, the game also gets more complex and more interesting over time.
"The cards definitely get more interesting as you progress through the deck. It makes for a fun, dynamic game." - peoblej
"Game that gets more interesting the longer you play it. After 14 games, it is quite different to the first game." - Misha99
"Very nice smooth game that starts simple and progresses into a rewarding experience." - FlaringPain
"Playing through the box is a genuinely great experience, and the game is very different in the middle and end of the deck than it is at the start." - Phil Bordelon

12. This evolving game state makes the game highly replayable, and even addictive.
"Fable could solve the problem for folks who buy lots of generic WP games, With 20 games or so in the box, every one 'with a twist'. Thousands of £ could be saved." - Sorp222
"This game is light and plays quickly so one should not expect too much from any one play of the game. However, the constantly evolving selections of actions/cards keeps me coming back for more." - PrairieBoy
"The Fabled System is excellent, it makes the game evolve and change from game to game and makes the players wanting to continue to play to discover what new locations are there to use." - Muse23PT
"As a one-off game it is fairly underwhelming, good but not amazing, but what draws you back time after time is the interest and excitement about what cards are coming next, what interesting dynamics are going to be thrown into the game this week." - duckworp
"I was surprised at how this simple game really draws you in with it's changing board of cards." - thdizzy
"We just love it. Once it's on the table we can't stop, because we want to see what other cards will come out." - icks
"The huge amount of replay possibility is also incredible. The game is so new and fresh each time you play." - FluffyMittens
"The "legacy" element is done well and has an almost addictive quality to it. My kids in particular get excited each time a new animal card comes into play." - mrkvm
"The progression of the action deck really makes me want to keep playing this one and see where it goes." - Catyrpelius
"Friese's successful take on the legacy system. His two innovations are applying the system to a filler card game and making it replayable when done." - JoSch

13. It also means that the game shouldn't be judged too quickly, because only after several plays will you appreciate the beauty of this fable system.
"I had heard the base game was rather boring, but it moved quick and how the game immediately started to evolve was interesting." - AndySzy
"Our initial impression wasn't great...lackluster cartoon animals doing basic card game actions? I'm so glad we stuck it out though - by the end of the second game we couldn't wait to see what came next." - Rococo_Zephyr

Accessibility & Appeal

14. Fabled Fruit plays very quickly, like a typical filler, only taking around 15-20 minutes.
"Each game takes 15 mins so you can easily play several in a session." - Misha99
"It plays quickly, has simple rules, and remains fresh with this new Fabled concept." - Luds
"This game changes CONSIDERABLY, so much so that your first round may take 20 minutes, but your third or fourth round might take 45 minutes to an hour (for a three-player game)." - GoingTopShelf
"Nice and quick game, changes as you play which makes it even more fun!" - Zepherion
"Quick to play." - Helikoputtrik
"You'll probably want to play several times in a row." - Lobotnik
"It is a fun filler game that keeps changing. 20 minutes per game." - lonewolf
"Quick aswell, as so far we played at least twice each time." - Paka
"We played 8 games in a row the first time." - vejrum
"Fun, breezy, and very moorish. You don't dwell on it much between sessions, but it's very easy to just have another game." - Gizensha
"It's a fantastic family game that is highly competitive, constantly evolving, and so quick to play that fitting in a couple more games of it isn't a problem. As a bonus, it's super easy to setup and tear down." - aReclusiveMind

15. Game-play is quite light, making it very accessible and easy to learn.
"Fun and light diversion." - jvbren
"Light filler, quick and fun." - thomasdv
"Easy to learn progressive game. Not that tactical but fun and light." - fabricefab
"Another nice thing about the fable system is that the game starts extremely simple and introduces additional complexity as it goes (though admittedly, the game will never be mistaken for anything but light)." - mrkvm
"The decision space is broad enough to keep you thinking but the gameplay quickly-paced and carefree enough to not overly invest your ego in how it turns out or the time you spent." - gszaszko
"Very simple filler-weight card game that is incredibly easy to learn." - Arkeas
"Very light, short, and has a healthy dose of luck. Nice little game that is a perfect little family game." - DoctorJ
"I wouldn't call Fabled Fruit competitive or tense in the slightest - It's a very casual, lighthearted way to experience a multitude of boardgame mechanics in a very short playtime." - Bastwood
"Decent filler with a mechanism that keeps the game fresh over time." - wilsonza

16. Despite the light game-play, there are still enough decisions and tactical/strategic choices to keep things interesting and satisfying, even for gamers.
"Entertaining filler game. Not to complicated but enough complexity to enjoy different plays." - Magritte
"Given the initial impression provided by the artwork and theme, this is a surprisingly engaging game with some interesting choices and interplay between the different actions you can take on your turn." - gszaszko
"This is a nice light game with good decisions." - randywilburn
"Introducing new cards and rules through multiple play sessions makes teaching the game very easy and does offer more depth and variety than initially apparent." - kentonwhite
"After learning the rules to this game I was a bit underwhelmed. It seemed very simplistic and almost like a game targeted at kids. But after we started playing, it quickly showed its strengths." - BelziET
"Seems like most of the strategy lies in blocking the actions you think other players will want to use. Gets more interesting as you get further into the cards." - ldd23
"Don't let the simple core mechanic fool you--there's a lot of complexity to this game." - Phil Bordelon
"Luck plays an important role, it has some spiteful cards, the coarse-grained victory condition combined with the start player advantage doesn't leave room for subtlety." - JoSch
"The game is simplistic with respect to core rules however, the location card powers are where the game gets interesting ... So much depth with respect to rules and its fun." - rmiczek
"This is easily one of my favourite card games. It's not too thinky, but it's extremely satisfying." - Ashg87

17. All these elements come together in a game that is tremendously fun.
"Super casual game that's quite different every time you play it. I've had a surprising amount of fun with this one." - TheBadDoctor
"FUN: no two games will be the same and it even evolves a bit during each game." - Matthias_K
"Everyone was having fun and we played a few times in a row." - adamscott
"It was very easy to get into and incredibly friendly in play. So lots of fun!" - adamw
"As a small and easy card game I like it very much." - bertmat
"8 for fun (and cuteness) with the right people." - venasion
"I want to gush about how good this game is. It is simple, but so much fun, and it is great that it constantly changes, game to game, so your strategy has to change accordingly." - CharmlessMan77
"Light game, quick and fun, makes one curious about next cards and their effects and how they interact. Very entertaining." - tilouboy
"I could sit and play is game for hours! Its simple to learn and not a heavy game but man is it fun. Fun in a box!" - taezer
"Super fun fast game that really gives you variety in this constantly changing game." - heccubus
"I didn't expect much from this game but it blew my mind. We have played it for 5 times now and had so much laughs." - FluffyMittens
"So much fun, strategic, and an ever changing game that you dont have to tear up like a legacy game." - Rjpavlas

18. All these ingredients mean that Fabled Fruit is also a very family friendly game, and even suitable as a gateway game for non-gamers.
"Great with kids and family!" - cybertrigger
"This is a good gateway game. We enjoy playing it with people not familiar with the hobby." - jafritz
"Fabled Fruit is an ultra simple game rules-wise and the art makes it look like the game is intended for families. I think the game would work for families and it might appeal to gamers who are okay with a lighter game too." - bnordeng
"It's a great gateway game!" - gr9yfox
"Good family-weight card game." - Keymaster of Gozer
"Easy mechanics to teach make this good gateway game." - jnoblitt
"A nice, gentle, evolving game. Very good as a gateway game that keeps gamers engaged as well." - Lobotnik
"Highly recommended for kids/teens/families, somewhat recommended for gamers." - jleazott
"This is the family game for the year 2016 for us. We play almost every night at this point trying to get through the stack of new animals." - Kghetto
"A nice and easy worker placement and card collection game that intro to my non-gamer wife too." - alexlyf
"My 7-year old daughter, my wife, and I all love this game! What a combination!" - willf

19. Pretty components and a light theme help make this a complete package.
"Excellent production quality." - skybreak
"Whimsical artwork helps this set collection game feel fun." - notclive
"Presentation and production are nice." - DroppEcho
"Beautiful pictures." - SvenChristian
"It has very cutesy art work, it plays quick and it is just a pure fun experience each time." - Sortrose
"Nice filler with an adorable theme and artwork which keeps evolving." - Kaermo
"Love the cards, artwork, humour and size." - Wassail Games
"It's explained in a heartbeat, it doesn't take long to play a round, it changes over time, it has a great amount of content and you get lots of gameplay with big components of great quality for a relatively low price." - DasMatze

Additional Thoughts

20. The game is arguably best with 3 or 4 players, although it can also handle 2 or 5 players.
"Fun, but probably much better with more than two players." - lasttruegypsy
"I'm not convinced I'd want to play with with fewer than 4, though." - oussgg
"Perhaps not the best at the 2 player count." - punkin312
"Think it works best at 4 or 5. You really need enough people that you are forced to trade cards away on occupied spaces." - ZapRowsdower8
"The game plays differently with 2 players vs 4 players, but both are enjoyable." - PedroG
"Really enjoy this with two, because it increases the need to make good decisions." - jnoblitt
"I wouldn't recommend this as a 2 player. 3 and 4 is great." - remus
"Player count best at 4 or 5." - venasion
"A filler game with a sort of legacy element, plays quickly and really shines at 4 or 5 players." - katanan
"The 5-player version is not ideal. You can do it and it works fine, but 3 or 4 is better." - cfarrell
"I think it plays best with 3-4 but wouldn't turn down a game with any player count." - taezer

21. Once again, this is a superlative example of an all-round clever Friedemann Friese design.
"I love how Friese brings new ideas to our hobby. He definitely pushes the envelope in game design." - bnordeng
"Another triumph for Friese in stripping out important (and trendy) mechanics and paring them right back to essentials." - ousgg
"Again another great idea from FF." - montsegur
"My favorite game of 2016. The ever changing market place of cards keeps the game feeling fresh even after 20+ plays. Ingenious design." - SoundCity
"Simple card game with an original progression mechanism." - Chabousse
"Zoomed in to a single game there's nothing too special here ... Watching the game change as you play multiple rounds is pretty satisfying though. Of course the main hook of the game is this one little novelty." - baditude
"Really great concept and I'm looking forward to whatever Friedemann Friese adds next to his fabled line of games." - jkoclanis67
"Choosing to combine legacy + filler is genius. While fillers tend to have limited replayability and serve as just a filler, Fabled Fruit is one of the few filler games I want to replay immediately to see how it develops." - JoSch
"Frieses another very cool idea and it works wonders." - Paka
"Wow is this addictive! Another great game from the Friedemann Friese." - Neale2006
"Friedmann Friesse has struck gold again with this idea." - duckworp

The bottom line: what you need to know

Fabled Fruit has to be considered another Friedemann Friese triumph. Now to be fair, while the fable system has elements of innovation, it isn't quite as ground-breaking or revolutionary as one might imagine. This isn't something that is going to turn the world of gaming upside-down in the same way that the arrival of the worker-placement mechanic or the deck-building mechanic did. But it is something that makes this game feel fresh and exciting.

More importantly, the implications of the fable mechanic for the game itself are significant. Without it, the game would perhaps run dry quite quickly, and like many fillers, would eventually wear out its welcome. But by means of his fable mechanic, Friedemann Friese has successfully reinvented the filler into something quite unusual, by giving it a sense of replayability generated by changing options in a way that hasn't really been seen before. The worker placement mechanic and the set collection mechanic are at this point well-trodden territory in the world of modern games. But by combining them with his fable mechanic, Mr Friese has injected new life into them, and helps make each successive game feel new, forcing you to adapt your strategies even within a single game.

Perhaps best of all, he's accomplished this not in a complex gamer's game, but in a family-friendly filler. Adding chrome and innovation to something complex is arguably easier to do than refining something simple. It takes real genius to produce a simple game that is so engaging that it can even keep gamers returning to it for more. Part of the beauty of Fabled Fruit is that it has the potential to satisfy gamers while at the same time give enjoyment to non-gamers and families. It's easy to learn, and yet has enough variety and decisions to keep you coming back to it, with constantly new things to discover and explore.

Mr Friedemann Friese, you are indeed a genius, and I look forward to see where you take the Fable system next, such as with the Fast Forward series (Fear, Fortress, and Flee), and further future designs. Fabled Fruit is a game that works for almost everyone, and I highly recommend it.

Where to get it? Fabled Fruit is now available from the publisher Stronghold Games (here).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mb The complete list of Ender's "What you need to know and what people think about..." reviews:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37595
Subscribe to this list to be notified when new reviews are posted.

If you made it to the end of this review and found it helpful, please considering giving a thumbs up at the very top of the article, to let me know you were here, and to give others a better chance of seeing it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chrisco
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, you made me re-add this to my wishlist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
* Before Legacy: Life Was Good
* Legacy Back Then: When campaign-board-games were stripped of re-play-ability (looking at you Gloomhaven) or became campaign games just and only because of altering the components permanently (looking at you Risk Evolution and Pandemic). A subscription model is the best for a retailer anyway. Wonder when FFG really jumps the train and creates Star Wars: Legacy Assault.
* Legacy Now: When mechanics and components change during the game. Not sure if that's novel, but if this use of the term persists at least we can name the "Back Then" games play-once-throw-away games like they should have been named.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to note that my son, who is six, loves this game. He totally gets it and it has been a great way to introduce him to more complex mechanisms in gaming because it starts out so simple. I highly recommend it for families.

P.S. I am honored that I made the cut for a comment in this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Estevo
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba, Berebekan Katabamba...... Kikerá!!!!
badge
Venha Monstro! Spadium Laser!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Ender! Another stellar review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Great review as always, Ender!

But one thing... let's not forget... this is not LEGACY, this is a...

FABLE GAME(tm)!

Seriously, Friedemann wanted to (again) take known mechanics and do something very different, so he riffed here on both worker placement and LEGACY, but in this case "Legacy" becomes "Fable Game", since it is:
- completely non-destructive, and
- infinitely replayable.

In a Fable Game you play the game 10, 15, 20+ times (depending on which of the games, as we now have all of the Fast Forward Series] in this genre of Fable Games), and then you can reset from the beginning or the middle or anywhere.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/42767/fast-forward

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
But one thing... let's not forget... this is not LEGACY, this is a... FABLE GAME(tm)!

Seriously, Friedemann wanted to (again) take known mechanics and do something very different, so he riffed here on both worker placement and LEGACY, but in this case "Legacy" becomes "Fable Game", since it is:
- completely non-destructive, and
- infinitely replayable.

In a Fable Game you play the game 10, 15, 20+ times (depending on which of the games, as we now have all of the Fast Forward Series] in this genre of Fable Games), and then you can reset from the beginning or the middle or anywhere.

Exactly. See #8 of my review (and also #12), where I covered precisely this point already:

8. Strictly speaking it isn't a legacy game, because no components are destroyed or permanently changed, and you can reset at any time.

12. This evolving game state makes the game highly replayable, and even addictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This format reminds me of the party game, "1000 Blank White cards" where there's an evolving deck that players can add and remove (eg. by voting) after the game. Also, RPGs (and dungeoncrawlers) have always had the idea of different game states from game to game, namely the players "leveling up" and becoming more powerful. Some league tournaments, such as the FFG Arkham Horror summer league, will change the state of the game as players play each week. You could play a deckbuliding game where players vote off some of the piles of cards played and replace them, rather than starting with a new set of cards. If you have enough expansions in, say, Arkham Horror, you can take an Ameritrash game and remove cards out of the game that were played for the next game. Magic the Gathering has a Type P format, where you win cards from other players and use these cards to enhance your deck.

Still, while I have seen this "non-reset" mechanic elsewhere, it doesn't mean more games shouldn't have them, nor that some implementations of them are more novelty than strategic game design. At the least, it means I don't have to buy another expansion to make the game interesting again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The infamous Ender included not one, but two quotes from me! I feel so honored! I'm still loving the game and look forward to playing it every Friday at lunch time! Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.