Subject: Best cards in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are people's thoughts about the best cards in the game?
I have played 2 games so far. I have seen Fighter Garrison clean up in victory points. Last game it scored 20 VP by itself. Recylotron not as much but I think that is because it was played too early and only generated 3 VP a turn. No has yet to build planetary supercomputer. I think the discard cost is turning the players in my group off the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ric
United Kingdom
Hove
Brighton and Hove
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tending to find that whoever finds the most of those three cards with "Gain <1> for each card in this system" tends to win. Players hold on until they can be placed as fifth card, then abuse them for all they're worth. I agree that Planetary Supercomputer is the weakest of the three, but still better than everything else in the deck.

There's a couple of other cards that I've been finding to be somewhat more powerful than the bulk of the deck:

Astro University: Get it out early and I've been surprised how much difference six or seven points is worth. Especially valuable with the next card on this list

Planetary Stock exchange: If you can get a reliable source of victory points, the boost in production from this one can be huge, especially mid game when it can be triggered four or five times.

Battle Station and Autolab: Oddly Battle Station less so, as it requires a better set of cards supporting it, but get it down turn one or two with some means of ensuring it triggers and the extra actions are punishing. Autolab on the other hand is a quick, cheap and easy to trigger massive swing for a turn, allowing you to get not only the build action from the lab back, but another too!

Harrava: On the topic of extra actions, I've been finding the Mrrshan advisor to be extremely powerful, as there are lot of nice cards that trigger when attacking, and she essentially gives a free attack action a turn.

Troop Transport: Devastating played on turn six or so, just after each opponent has their first "Gain <1> for each card in this system" card down. Turns the tide against the power of those cards... and I haven't found another reliable way of stopping them (hitting them for the one morale is not reliable IMO. Unless everyone is taking three actions each turn to hit everyone else, and that is negated by a single propaganda, wasting everyone's actions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I tried playing this as Mrrshan with Harrava and a minimal build strategy. ( I only took six points from cards at game end, four of which were for Trade Goods). I built both the +1 VP when attacking cards and the draw a card after attacking card, and that was pretty much it. In a four player game attacking for twelve VP a round set me up nicely, using the card draws to exploit to keep my fleet high. ( It should have been higher, as I forgot Harrava's fleet icon).

The other players got a good end of game catch-up with the bonus cards mentioned above,but it wasn't enough to take the lead from me.

So my point is you don't need any of these bonus cards or to pursue an economic strategy to win, which is a strong point for the game I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Troop Transports were specifically made to bury Fighter Garrison and the like. However the card Communication Satellite allows you to rearrange all the cards in a system. So you can counter the counter. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Early Frigate and Doom Star make an excellent strategy. The trick is getting them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.