Popular Tags: [View All]
Finn Haverkamp
United States
Norris
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Tokaido!

Oh boy, this just got real confusing. I don't own any of the version and have never played it. But there are like three versions of the main game and two expansions which may or may not be shared between the main games.

Long story short: what do I buy? Is the original version fine? Or should I seek out the Deluxe Edition? Or maybe the Collector's Edition? Depending, should I get the Accessory Pack? What about Matsuri? What about Crossroads?

Thanks so much for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Watson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryffin wrote:
Tokaido!

Oh boy, this just got real confusing. I don't own any of the version and have never played it. But there are like three versions of the main game and two expansions which may or may not be shared between the main games.

Long story short: what do I buy? Is the original version fine? Or should I seek out the Deluxe Edition? Or maybe the Collector's Edition? Depending, should I get the Accessory Pack? What about Matsuri? What about Crossroads?

Thanks so much for the help.

I am waiting on the additional information about the 5th Anniversary edition. And decide from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haley
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this one is confusing but I can try to get things in order. This is one of my wife's favorite games. This game is a gateway game and easy to teach others.

The expansions work with all versions. The Collector's Edition and Deluxe Edition come with Crossroads.

The standard version is fine. Many say that it feels cheaply made. We had it for a while.

The Collector's Edition was Kickstarter only and I don't think it is worth hunting down.

The Deluxe Edition is the Post-Kickstarter version of the Collection's Edition. We bought this version once it came out and the game was a favorite. The board is bigger and has spaces for Crossroads. The mini's are real nice and it has metal coins. We are very happy with it.

I say, get the Deluxe Edition if you like the looks of it.

The accessory pack is for upgrading the Standard Edition to the Deluxe Edition. If you go with Deluxe, you also don't need the new metal coins.

Matsuri is a fun expansion and the Deluxe Edition has space for it.

If you get the Matsuri Expansion, you will want to look for the new minis that will be released in a few months.

Now to put in a new wrinkle. There is a new "Tokaido - 5th Anniversary Edition" that is going to be out soon. It looks like the standard edition with new art. You might want to look into that one as well.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Haverkamp
United States
Norris
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Oh, is that a thing? When are they expected to talk about it? I assume they'll wait for christmas to come and go to not sap sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Haverkamp
United States
Norris
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot. What do you mean "looks like the standard but with new art". Is the 5th anniversary edition the smaller sized board like the original? Is it basically just a reprint of the original with new artwork? If that's the case, I think I'll go for deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haley
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, It is just a reprint of the standard edition with the smaller board.

To quote the site "This edition includes a new box artwork, new cards design, new player boards, a redesigned game board, new meeples, new panorama cards, etc."

You can find more about the 5th anniversary edition at the link below.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1834181/tokaido-5th-anniver...

It is mostly a change of artwork. For me, I don't care about it. I'm very happy with the deluxe edition and I have the new minis on pre-order for whenever they finely release. The minis really bring something to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the Deluxe version is the best buy, unless you want to spend a lot to get the collectors edition. The addition of Crossroads makes a huge difference to the game, in a very positive way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gadgetx wrote:

The standard board is rather long, so this will be interesting to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Haverkamp
United States
Norris
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
downeymb wrote:
Gadgetx wrote:

The standard board is rather long, so this will be interesting to see.

I think Gadgetx means the 5th anniversary is an exact reprint of the original, with the same size board as the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryffin wrote:
I think Gadgetx means the 5th anniversary is an exact reprint of the original, with the same size board as the original.

Reading is haaaaaaaaaaaaard! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Haverkamp
United States
Norris
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
downeymb wrote:
Gryffin wrote:

Reading is haaaaaaaaaaaaard! cry

It's rough, this life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Folkert
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the plain simplicity of the standard edition. I think the deluxe is overkill. I also don't like Crossroads; if you want to play a more complex game, play another game. Don't complexify Tokaido.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Haverkamp
United States
Norris
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
KirovThug wrote:
I love the plain simplicity of the standard edition. I think the deluxe is overkill. I also don't like Crossroads; if you want to play a more complex game, play another game. Don't complexify Tokaido.

I pre-ordered the 5th anniversary edition. I think it was the right choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.