Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
85 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Battle of Britain» Forums » General

Subject: Just received my Kickstarter - not very good I'm afraid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
DaveKitcat wrote:
Hmm, yes I'll certainly hold off painting until I'm sure they are going to keep their shape. The Great War minis painted up very nicely, but they definitely were a harder plastic.

Please do post details about the transfers/water slides that you end up using.


Domsdecals

http://domsdecals.com/epages/81fc44d0-907b-42a4-9f72-8d3238c...

Type B for upper wing and A1 for fuselage.

http://domsdecals.com/epages/81fc44d0-907b-42a4-9f72-8d3238c...

For accuracy should use wide band for fuselage sides and narrow band on top surfaces but I'll probably use the thick band on both fuselage and upper wing.

Cheers,

Nigel


Which German and RAF sets are correct for 1940?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:


Which German and RAF sets are correct for 1940?


Minimum

RAF Top Wing - Type B (300-GB-03)
RAF Fuselage Sides - Type A1 (300-GB-02)
Luftwaffe Top Wing and Fuselage Sides - (300-GE-1)

Better Luftwaffe Authenticity

You could use the same cross for upper wing, lower wing and fuselage sides but if you want more authenticity, the top wing used a cross with a thinner white edge to reduce visibility

Luftwaffe Top Wing - (300-GE-2)

If you want to do undersides of the wings

RAF Lower wing - Type A - (300-GB-01)
Luftwaffe - already covered above - (300-GE-1)

Finally if you want tail markings

RAF Tail - (300-GB-09)
Luftwaffe Tail - (300-GE-10c) or (300-GE-10a) (note the warning about the print registration of 300-GE-10c)

Which swastika was used depended on the tail colour. For example, Bf-109s generally had a light blue (hellblau RLM 65) tail so used a plain black swastika. Whereas a He-111 typically had a camouflaged tail, dark green and black green in a splinter pattern (dunkelgrun RLM 71 and schwarzgrun RLM 70) so used a swastika with a white outline.

If you only want to buy one set go with the white outline.


Hope that helps

Cheers,

Nigel

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:


Which German and RAF sets are correct for 1940?


Hope that helps

Cheers,

Nigel


It most certainly does, thanks Nigel.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oliver
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
nheather wrote:
DaveKitcat wrote:
Hmm, yes I'll certainly hold off painting until I'm sure they are going to keep their shape. The Great War minis painted up very nicely, but they definitely were a harder plastic.

Please do post details about the transfers/water slides that you end up using.


Domsdecals

http://domsdecals.com/epages/81fc44d0-907b-42a4-9f72-8d3238c...

Type B for upper wing and A1 for fuselage.

http://domsdecals.com/epages/81fc44d0-907b-42a4-9f72-8d3238c...

For accuracy should use wide band for fuselage sides and narrow band on top surfaces but I'll probably use the thick band on both fuselage and upper wing.

Cheers,

Nigel





I didn't get any decals and my "croupier rakes" were a Bf109 1/144th kit that I can't use. The "standard" game models were OK in terms of their appearance and plastic quality, but the stretch goal models were polypropylene (old Airfix soft plastic type) and need the hot water treatment.

Can anyone tell me if there's a playable game in there?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Forder
msg tools
Yes there is Mike.

Straighten out the models with hot/cold water. Even the Gladiator looks ok.

Depend on the amount of work you're willing to put in the models will be fine. Even a quick colour spray prime and a wash will improve them by 100%

Don't give up hope yet

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Forder
msg tools
Any thoughts as to what colour to paint them if i was to avoid the camouflage scheme?

I'm thinking

German bombers: Shwarzgrun (RLM 70)?

ME 109: Slate grey



Not sure with the British fighters though. (But need to be different enough to distinguish from the German planes)

Ideas welcome




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Grumpymoose wrote:
Any thoughts as to what colour to paint them if i was to avoid the camouflage scheme?

I'm thinking

German bombers: Shwarzgrun (RLM 70)?

ME 109: Slate grey



Not sure with the British fighters though. (But need to be different enough to distinguish from the German planes)

Ideas welcome






At the time of Battle of Britain, Luftwaffe were light blue undersides with dark green / black green upper in a splinter scheme.

Bf-109 Would have been light blue for most of the fuselage.

Use of grey didn't come in to much later.

Cheers,

Nigel
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice of PSC to post videos on how to fix their problems...er...planes. shake

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-br...

-Ski

p.s. Ever remember those Helen of Toy company wargames???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not looking to wonderful on the Domsdecals side either.

I've already acknowledged that he sell great products but is slow and his communication is poor. But previous orders have taken 2-3 weeks and the situation now seems much worse.

I placed an order on Friday and then realised that I had missed a set. So I tried to contact him by email and phone - no response. I have phoned repeatedly but no answer, no answering machine.

To be honest, no different from my previous experiences but on this occasion I wanted to change the order so persevered. I eventually found some posts the TheMinaturesPage (TMP) forum and these suggest that he has had a massive backlog all year and it is getting worse.

For example there is someone posting in September asking about an order placed in July and another posting in October about an order placed in May.

So we could be looking at a 3-5 month backlog. Hope not.

Cheers,

Nigel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole project seems CURSED! I may try to cancel my PayPal payment / order based on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Nice of PSC to post videos on how to fix their problems...er...planes. :shake:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/battle-of-br...

-Ski

p.s. Ever remember those Helen of Toy company wargames???


I haven't received my copy yet, but do expect to see bent tails and wings as this seems the rule rather than the exception. Yes, I do find that disappointing also considering the steep price at which the game comes, but I would also like to say the following:

1. The Great War is a very, very good game which has given me many hours of enjoyment already. If BoB turns out to be just as good, I guess I can live with having to give the models the hot and cold water treatment.

2. It makes sense PSC went with a different type of plastic after their experiences with The Great War. This is both understandable and perhaps even commendable. What isn't in their behalf is indeed the fact that e.g. the memoir '44 planes that come with that game's Air Pack do not have those issues. PSC, however, do seem to be listening and hopefully also learning.

3. As I said, PSC has to date delivered good games. If we want them to continue doing so, we should cut them some slack rather than, in some cases, being perhaps overly harsh.

So in short, yes it bugs and bothers me that the plastic is below standard, especially since they are in fact a modeling company, but I would like their business to thrive so they can continue to produce great games. I do have to add that my patience isn't infinite either, so it would be great if their next product (likely the French expansion for TGW) didn't have any quality issues.
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I paid £57 for the game on Kickstarter, not a huge amount compared to some games. I'm expecting a good game, that's true. The issue with the plastic for the planes has been explained, and there is a hot and cold solution to that, so all is not lost there.

The KS campaign wasn't the best with regards to communication, and it's a shame that the croupier stick wasn't included - I was looking forward to that! But Willem makes some good points. We don't want PSC to stop making games. The plastic pieces they are producing are for playing with, so their robustness is a must. I hope PSC are learning from this process - that a KS project benefits from good two-way communications, and that figure quality and packaging are also important.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Will is a nice guy, and a good guy:

I'm biting the bullet, we're upgrading and re-moulding the plastic planes........
[Edited for the correct link]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem sorted... looking forward to receiving this game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Will is a nice guy, and a good guy:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/reply/27186951


Yeah - they've taken a bath of some sort on every game I've backed. Gotta wonder how close to breaking point they are on this gaming adventure?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Will is a nice guy, and a good guy:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/reply/27186951


I think this is the link you meant:

I'm biting the bullet, we're upgrading and re-moulding the plastic planes........
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Will is a nice guy, and a good guy:

[Edited to remove incorrect link]


I think this is the link you meant:

I'm biting the bullet, we're upgrading and re-moulding the plastic planes........


Looks like it!

Editing it now.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thank you to PSC for their plan on fixing the major problem with the game. Cudos for stepping up!

-Ski
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I think their decision to re-mold the airplanes with a new manufacturer and deliver to their backers for free is the right decision, of course. But it's also a difficult decision as it will most certainly affect their ledger books for this year, in a very painful way.

But most importantly, it reflects that they do care about their reputation and about putting a quality product into their customers' hands. This will likely keep most of us loyal while also having the effect of gaining new customers in the future as word spreads about what they've done here to make things right.

Good on them!



8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
badge
You wanted the best, You got the best, The hottest band in the World..KISS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I think their decision to re-mold the airplanes with a new manufacturer and deliver to their backers for free is the right decision, of course. But it's also a difficult decision as it will most certainly affect their ledger books for this year, in a very painful way.

But most importantly, it reflects that they do care about their reputation and about putting a quality product into their customers' hands. This will likely keep most of us loyal while also having the effect of gaining new customers in the future as word spreads about what they've done here to make things right.

Good on them!

Ditto



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great profile pic, silverfox63!
I used to have that record, many years ago. How curious to see it resurface here on BGG.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used the hot 'n' cold treatment on my planes this morning and almost all have retained their shape. Looking forward to playing through the game tonight.

I hope Will takes the constructive KS criticism on communications and project management on board but agree even more that TGW is a fantastic game and I do not want to see PSC Games leave the market.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my KS today in Canada. The planes aren't as bad as I imagined from the close up photos though a few planes would need the hot water treatment. Saying that I'm pleased with the decision to upgrade them to a better quality plastic.

It would have also been nice if the cards were updated with rounded corners but looking past those issue and over all, I'm very happy with the production!!!

Nicely done, PSC!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
I've used the hot 'n' cold treatment on my planes this morning and almost all have retained their shape. Looking forward to playing through the game tonight.

I hope Will takes the constructive KS criticism on communications and project management on board but agree even more that TGW is a fantastic game and I do not want to see PSC Games leave the market.


Four days on and ALL the models have retained their shape and have now been painted. I'm very happy with the results and very pleased with this game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:

Four days on and ALL the models have retained their shape and have now been painted. I'm very happy with the results and very pleased with this game.


Photos or it never happened.

-Ski
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.