Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got this one to the table with another member of the club. I took the Allies to his Germans.

30 Corps got off to a smashing start, with DS results on both Kerutt and the company behind him on turn 1. Coupled with a poor roll for traffic markers on the Germans' part (only one of the three stuck), things were looking good for the good guys. Here's the end of turn 2 there (all of the initial set is end of turn 2):

Everywhere else, though, there were issues. The air drops went off almost without a hitch - only a couple of scattered units (all in the 101st sector) and not a single step loss. IMO, the latter is not necessarily a good thing - especially in the 1st AB zone, I'd like to have steps that can be returned to the right place at the right time as a reserve. Can't complain, though.

101st Airborne captured the Son bridge intact but not the Veghel road bridge. The Veghel RR bridge was, however, captured, so 30 Corps should be able to at least stage across the canal even if they can't throw supply very far until it is repaired. 101st also advanced on Uden and Eindhoven, making some progress in the latter case.

The strongest unit in the unknown pool popped up at Grave and I rolled the '1' needed to fail to take the bridge, which would be blown with extreme prejudice.

82nd also expanded the perimeter enough that, with none of the 406th Division being released immediately (except the artillery!), I would be able to drop the 82nd's artillery on turn 3 without having to worry about a blown drop.

In the 1st Airborne sector, Frost's men reached the bridge successfully but the following troops failed in their attempt to sneak by KG Spindler - another 1 at an inopportune moment. Note the ENG marker on Spindler. Had he been forced to retreat, I could have gotten the battalions (3/1P and the glider pilots) that were stuck in Oosterbeek into Arnhem instead, and one of those would almost surely have gone on to help defend the bridge.

So to summarize, after two turns, 30 Corps is doing great, 101st is doing tolerably well (failure at Uden being the fly in the ointment, but that won't hold up for long), and we're seeing a subpar performance from 82nd and 1st.

At this point, the course of the game became dictated more by my opponent's German response. He chose to concentrate on eliminating Frost's battalion rather than send a maximal amount of support to Nijmegen. The battle for Nijmegen turned VERY bloody - we saw each side take a step loss almost every turn over the course of turns 3-5, and the Germans can only sustain that if they're feeding a lot of bodies into the grinder. On the other hand, he DID succeed at crushing Frost at around turn 6 - but too late to help Nijmegen, as the 82nd was already crossing the bridge over the Waal.

We had a typical back-and-forth on the western side of the 101st perimeter and the eastern side of the 82nd perimeter for the next several turns.

Back near Eindhoven, 30 Corps finished clearing Eindhoven on turn 3 with an Auto DS that allowed the bridging engineers to reach Veghel on turn 4 - meaning that the road bridge was ready for use on turn 6. On that turn, 30 Corps proceeded to Auto DS the brave defenders of Grave (at this point held by the 1st Parachute Army's motorized company) and get the bridging engineers - just barely, with not a fraction of an MP to spare - to the Grave bridge, which meant 30 Corps would reach Nijmegen and cross over the Waal on turn 8.

Out on the flank, one of the 101st's battalions snuck into Helmond which was held only by a 0-0-0 Garrison unknown. The wrath of the arriving 107th Panzer Brigade descended upon it, kicking it back to the west side of the canal at the cost of a Panzergrenadier step. In the meantime, though, 11th Armored got into Asten. A couple companies of Panthers did make it over to Veghel to temporarily cut the road.

After turn 8, though, we needed to call the game. We concluded that it was likely to be an Allied victory - though it wasn't certain, 30 Corps would likely be able to crack the German right on the Island with the help of massive artillery bombardment and get to the aid of the 1st before it could be crushed; had that attack failed, though, it might have taken a turn or two to reopen the road for supply, which could have made life difficult for the Allies. Just the fact that they were already on the Island at the end of day 3, though, is a big plus for the Allies. Here are some pics of the final positions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up and photos!

Gotta clip those counters though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Oh man! This sounded great! I’m stoked to get this to my own table but I know it won’t be for a while into the future. How long did it take you to play until turn 8? I hope you can return to this game for a full playthrough in the future.

One question: I must have missed a rule somewhere, is there a soecial condition on turn 1 for capturing the Grave bridge? I thought all bridges were 50/50 shots on turn 1.

Thx for the writeup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
One question: I must have missed a rule somewhere, is there a soecial condition on turn 1 for capturing the Grave bridge? I thought all bridges were 50/50 shots on turn 1.

Yes, the Germans can't blow the Grave bridge during the Allied portion of GT 1 (5.7). If captured, the Allies get to place an "intact" marker at the bridge, which means the Germans would have to re-wire it before making another blow attempt (good luck with that).

Great write-up Doug, the Germans can have some tricks up their sleeve too (the Allies did really great in this session!). whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent photographs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent AAR, Doug. Ordered this last evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Houlie wrote:

Whenever you're ready to take it for a spin, Craig, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Unclipped... counters...hurt...eyes! Argh!

Just joking. Nice write-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the corners were meant to be rounded off, they'd come that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gustavsson
Sweden
Bjästa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up Doug! I'm eagerly waiting for my copy to arrive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Houlie wrote:

Whenever you're ready to take it for a spin, Craig, let me know.

You're on, Doug!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mb

Just played our opening session. Mistakes on both sides but it plays very smoothly. Another great MS title it appears!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.