Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargamers eat their young, that we know. The nit picking, back biting "muzzle velocity of a 75L40 tank cannon firing APDS in fog" ridiculous deification of trivia/ego kills the hobby. Except, of course, for the many trolls who live in on this hobby, in which case this behavior is what they live for.

Such is the case here. We have a brilliant remake of a Richard Borg classic. High quality components, thick cardboard, great graphics, mounted maps, cool models to push around. Wow! I open my box, I'm thrilled. I have all Memoir '44 and Battle Cry. I know what level of model detail to expect. I have a WAY too large D&D figure collection (and Star Wars too). I know know what standards to expect. This game meets or exceeds those reasonable standards in all regards.

As a community, I'd suggest we need to enforce a certain reasonableness of expectations, founded in gratitude that we currently have lots of great choices. We should do so because we are mindful (contrary to what some fools have suggested) that the economics of wargames are scary tight and any wargame producer is providing games for love and the hope of a small profit. The more we willfully screw with that, complain about every tiny shortcoming, any imagined imperfection, the more we work to undermine that which benefits us.

The trolls will yell "fanboy" but that's wrong. I want and deserve games that are well produced and fun to play. If that's what I get, I'm good. I don't deserve a label except maybe "reasonable person." On the other hand, people who jump instantly out the gate in a major public forum such as this screaming lurid, damaging, exaggerated complaints at a game most people haven't even gotten yet do deserve a label. Let's stay away from "troll," it's too polarizing. How about a simple one that's less inflammatory and just plan true on its face: "Whiner."

Less whiners, more games please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Draycott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Reasonable expectations do not seem to go hand in hand with Kickstarters. As a fellow backer, I think much of the vocal complaining about this game has been fanned by the communication, or lack of.

The plane material issue was exacerbated by Will stating they had had preproduction versions and they were fine. A feature of this type of plastic is that it can bend after being produced.... Which is fine on stuff like human figures because it doesn't effect what it is , but planes are usually straight angles etc so anything other than that effects the appearance.

I personally think that if you are going to ask for money on a platform that says it wants creators to show backers progress and communicate, then you had better beware what happens when you don't communicate well. I'd gave been fine water bending them back, I'm yet to receive anything so I'll reserve judgment until then, but your points are valid, I just feel the outrage, whilst overblown, is not wholly unjustified here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just received mine in NYC. The models are fine imho. The tokens are a bit offset. Minor niggle. Some of the best box art I've seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
The models are NOT fine.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3783140

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3783151

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic3783138.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyF wrote:

Agreed. Advertising of the models in the Kickstarter campaign led to an expectation of better quality than produced. To his credit, Will recognized this fact, which is why he has decided to produce a better set of models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that seems to have been written about the new version of this game is completely centered on the models.

Did anyone try playing it? Is it okay play-wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyF wrote:

No hot water there in the UK?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyF wrote:

No, your models are not fine. That doesn't mean that others didn't get good sets. Applying a blanket determination based on your experience doesn't make it true. I get how frustrated you are by the quality of the models you received, and don't assume that applies to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:

Irrelevant.

Ive never had to do this with any models nor should I have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
DaveyF wrote:

No, your models are not fine. That doesn't mean that others didn't get good sets. Applying a blanket determination based on your experience doesn't make it true. I get how frustrated you are by the quality of the models you received, and don't assume that applies to everyone.

The overall standard of the miniatures is poor, from the materials used, to the sculpts themselves. Why else would PSC be re-doing them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe because he’s a nice guy caving to pressure from people like you?

You seriously never had to hot water treat minis? Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Descent, Star Wars minis, D&D minis? Prolly even Memoir ‘44 minis, tho I don’t play it much. Do you own any of those games?

It is completely normal for minis to arrive all pretzeled up. So not the drama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I am concerned about the designer redoing the minis is; how will this loss affect the next project?

Also AGAIN, how does the game actually play?

Good?
Bad?
I just bought the game for the models.

I would insert a poll but I don't have all day to put in the time just to figure it out. Maybe someone that knows can do one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:

It is completely normal for minis to arrive all pretzeled up. So not the drama.

Not really. I have never had those issues with any copy of BC/BC150, Axis & Allies, or the first production run of Memoir. Later (Chinese) copies of Memoir had some minor issues, but nothing like what we have seen from PSC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My minis are more bent than I first thought, and nothing that a half an hour of hot water/cold water won't fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Woods
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game plays well, but I was a big fan of the original TSR version. The modifications to the rules are minor but seem to be an improvement. I have only played it once so far but I am quite pleased so far. The rules could be a little clearer in some spots and a turn sequence summary would have been very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.