Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
18 CARD MICROGAME CONTEST

by Giampiero Randazzo

Decimus is a game for 1, 2 or 4 players, freely drawn it from a popular game used by ancient Roman legionaries ...

Components:
17 playing cards and 1 card rules.

Playtime: 20-30 minutes.

State: Component Ready

Distribute the same number of cards to the players, the remaining card stays at the center of the table.
Players, in turn, place their own card by flanking it at a corner of that on the table so that the numbers form a sum of 10 (Decimus).

(1). Example. V (5) + II (2) in the corner of a card and III (3) in the other corner = X (10, Decimus).

Each decimus totals, you assign a point to the player.
The player in his turn can not discard to make a decimus, skip the turn and pass his hand to another player.

(2). Cards already marked with the X number (decimus) must be flanked to other cards with no numbered corners to complete the point.

(3). Each player can use any free corner of each discarded card, so that they form diagonal patterns.
Cards on the table must always be in the cross-position and be careful not to cross over the corners of the cards. If the cards on the table do not allow any crossing, the game is interrupted and the number of scores and cards remaining to the players to determine the winner.

Wins the player who has scored more decimus while remaining with fewer cards in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iyidin Kyeimo
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Hi, looks a simple, fun game.. will have to try it out later!

I have a few comments though, I believe your first example has a mistake, it's an IV on the card, not a V.

Also, why do you sometimes have two numbers in a corner rather than one? Not sure what it adds and seems unnecessary..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly recommend to not using roman numerals. If the numbers are not round they are just horrible to add and it's easy to make mistakes (you even missed the mistake in your example - I guess with arabic numerals you would have spotted it immediately).

Like Iyidin I also don't understand why you sometimes use 2 numbers instead of 1. It just makes the calculating even more cumbersome.
Is there any difference between a corner with the number 6 and a corner with the two numbers 2 and 4?

And some rule questions: Is it allowed that 2 cards touch without having a sum of 10?
What does
Quote:
The player in his turn can not discard to make a decimus, skip the turn and pass his hand to another player.
mean? If you don't have a valid move you have to give your cards to another player? So you'll lose automatically as you don't have cards to play anymore?
For the end condition: How can the cards on the table not allow any crossings? There will be always at least one corner where it's possible to put another card.

And here are some practical thoughts:
If you put the numbers on the sides of the cards instead of the corners the gameplay itself is not changed but you only need half the space to play the game.
For every number there is exactly one number that would fit there. Instead of numbers you can use half pictures which will complete if the right cards are sharing an edge. With this change it's easier to see your possibilities.

Have you tested your game? It seems that there are not many tactical decisions to be made. Are there many draws?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
Hi, looks a simple, fun game.. will have to try it out later!

Thanks!

Iyidin_Kyeimo wrote:
I have a few comments though, I believe your first example has a mistake, it's an IV on the card, not a V.

Also, why do you sometimes have two numbers in a corner rather than one? Not sure what it adds and seems unnecessary..?

no ... the numbers must be added

you are right ... I did not notice the mistake ... my apologies, correct right now ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Thank you for your interest ... I will try to explain better that I can ...

MartinWin wrote:
I strongly recommend to not using roman numerals. If the numbers are not round they are just horrible to add and it's easy to make mistakes (you even missed the mistake in your example - I guess with arabic numerals you would have spotted it immediately).

Why should I use strange, Celtic, or other symbols?
Roman numerals are symbols associated with numbers, you only need to make a memory effort ...

My mistake was caused by distraction, and my vision problems ...

MartinWin wrote:

Like Iyidin I also don't understand why you sometimes use 2 numbers instead of 1. It just makes the calculating even more cumbersome.
Is there any difference between a corner with the number 6 and a corner with the two numbers 2 and 4?

it serves to increase the difficulty ...

MartinWin wrote:

And some rule questions: Is it allowed that 2 cards touch without having a sum of 10?
What does
Quote:
mean? If you don't have a valid move you have to give your cards to another player? So you'll lose automatically as you don't have cards to play anymore?
For the end condition: How can the cards on the table not allow any crossings? There will be always at least one corner where it's possible to put another card.

the numbers at the corners are to be added to ten ... if you can not let it pass the turn to another player

MartinWin wrote:

And here are some practical thoughts:
If you put the numbers on the sides of the cards instead of the corners the gameplay itself is not changed but you only need half the space to play the game.
For every number there is exactly one number that would fit there. Instead of numbers you can use half pictures which will complete if the right cards are sharing an edge. With this change it's easier to see your possibilities.

the cross-arrangement remembers the X symbol, ten in fact

MartinWin wrote:

Have you tested your game? It seems that there are not many tactical decisions to be made. Are there many draws?

I've tried the game so many times, and the tactical choice is to use the right cards.
The mind is so occupied with numbers that I believe there is no need to try other tactics ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
etacarinae1965 wrote:
Why should I use strange, Celtic, or other symbols?
Roman numerals are symbols associated with numbers, you only need to make a memory effort ...

I wanted to say that instead of roman numerals you could just use normal numbers. It's so much faster to read them.

Quote:
it serves to increase the difficulty ...

Don't confuse difficult with tiring (maybe exhausting is the better word; I'm not a native speaker and both words aren't exactly what I looked for, but I couldn't find a better word).
With roman numerals and the splitting into two numbers you wouldn't achieve that I have more difficulties to find my optimal move. You only achieve that it takes me longer, and I have to think more. At the end I would make the same move, but it would take me twice the time.

Something like this would be acceptable if I am forced to do it fast. In reaction or speed games it totally makes sense to confuse the player. Not so much here.

Quote:
the cross-arrangement remembers the X symbol, ten in fact

I can understand your point. But is it worth to double the needed playing space just to get some small (I wouldn't have seen it if you didn't mentioned it) connection to the theme?

Quote:
The mind is so occupied with numbers that I believe there is no need to try other tactics ...

As I said, if your goal is to confuse the players you have to add a time constraint to the game. Otherwise it just gets tiring and ends in long turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Giampiero I like the idea of your game. Great for learning number combinations. And nicely presented with the Roman political characters. I do agree with MartinWin - there are times when a designer is too close to his work to see things that blind play testers pick up quickly. That is the beauty of these Work In Progress threads.

Actually looking at example 3 there is another mistake. This must tell you there is a problem using Roman numerals.

I have a couple of other things to suggest. When you provide files for the game I will have another good look and see if my suggestions are still valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for your comments...
I have to give you reason ...
I will work to fix the problems you have exposed to me,
but if I can not find a solution in a short time, I will withdraw the game from the contest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.