Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Fluck
United Kingdom
Milton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my Kickstarter package last week and was a little concerned about the game based on the commentary here on BGG. So here are my first impressions of the game package (not the game itself).

Box

4/5 Study, well made and attractive box, perhaps with a little too much air space (a strain on my storage space). The lid graphic sheet not completely glued in place on one short side, but it is a joy to view.

Rules

4/5 Well produced and clear set of rules. Campaign and scenario rules need a little deciphering but no biggie

Counters

5/5 well made, clean and functional counters

Dice

5/5 great dice. Nothing else to say

Charts

5/5 Excellent display charts - clear, well designed and sturdy

Map

5/5 Evocative, full mounted, huge map. You need a big table with this and the display charts but it gives the impression of the Biggin Hill control room. Shame about the croupier sticks

Cards

3.5/5 Clear and nicely made but a little thin and a little small for my liking. I would have preferred poker sized cards but it isn't going to affect game play, and it was a design decision for the display charts - otherwise you will need a huge table.

Stands

4/5 Well made and functional. Not sure why the Brits get bigger stands and the stickers could have been a little larger I feel.

Miniatures

3/5 This is the bit that have got people going and I was expecting a train wreck. Anything but - this match up to many other mini games, like Memoir 44. Yes there are some bent items but easily fixed and they fit to the stands beautifully. I think the problem is that people expected 5/5 minis based on the PSC reputation. And I fully expect this rating to go 5/5 with the redo that is in the works.

Summary
4/5 So I am happy with my game, and will enjoy playing it. Go and have a look and don't lose out on playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree except for the tokens. They seem a little of centre for a lot of them. So I'd give them a 3/5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Fluck
United Kingdom
Milton
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are straight as a die. So you might have a duff batch i guess. Glad you concur overall.

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The printing on the labels on the flight stands is ridiculously small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My reactions:
Box: Sturdy, spacious--planes could be glued to stands and stay protected under the two sides of the insert which support the folded board.

Rules: Well produced, good composition, nice font size, numerous illustrations, top-notch.

Counters: Mine were on-center and they're beautifully die-cut--they come right out with no trimming needed whatsoever. Nice and thick too.

Cards: Easy to read, some pleasing color, only drawback is square corners.

Player "panels" (Group/Luftflotte displays): Space for everything, colors match corresponding Groups and Luftflotten.

Board: Big, well-mounted, easy to fold and lays flat. Excellent.

Plane minis: nicely detailed, in scale with each other (yes, Me-109s are small--I saw one up-close at "Thunder Over Michigan" some years ago). About half have some degree of warping, mostly wings (I have a "gull wing" He-111!) and some tails. I'll be glad for the "hard plastic" replacements when they come and appreciate PSC's commitment to quality in this area.

Flight stands: The stickers for the stands are smaller than they should be, as has been observed. Mitigating this to some degree is that they are color-coded to Group or Luftflotte (matching the player panels) but they are very hard to read. The "stickers" in the rules illustrations are the size the real ones should be. Too bad, this.

Flight stands: My concern is the "pins" on top of the stands. I have the original Richard Borg BoB (by TSR) and the flight stands in it had nice tall pins, maybe 3-4mm. Planes held on very securely. In the new one, the "pins" are perhaps half the height. Some of the planes don't stay on the stand very well. I don't want to glue them pending receiving the replacements next spring, and hard plastic planes might stay put better than these soft ones.

This last issue makes me really appreciate the large box, as I know I'll be able to fit and protect the components even if I have to ultimately glue the planes onto their flight stands.

One more thing re these: it doesn't matter, in game turns, whether the "tall" or "short" stands are used. There are more tall ones than short ones; I plan to use the "shorties" for some of the larger German bombers (for lower "center of gravity" and ease of placement if another adjacent space must hold another Heinkel or Dornier) and the taller ones for fighters, for sure, and a couple of the bombers. I ordered some extra flight stands along with extra planes, and I'm glad I did, as there are just enough stands in the game for the "game quantity" of pieces (meaning the bonus Blenheim, Stuka, Defiant and Gladiator would have to be swapped otherwise).

These slight issues aside, it is a very attractive game and it will be a real eye-catcher in play. I'm thankful to own it.

Edit: One more thing, almost forgot--the game comes with tiny decals for the planes. They're nice but for the blue-red RAF wing roundels which have the red dot printed badly off-center. Not a big deal, the models have slightly raised insignia molded to them, so these can be painted if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cross
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with most of the comments already mentioned.. The one aspect i noted was that the print quality within the rules booklet was really variable.

Some pages are clean and crisp.. Others fuzzy with colour alignment just slightly off giving that 3D-without-the-glasses look. Not quite illegible, but difficult to read.

Maybe I got a duff end of run booklet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.