:
Here I Stand» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What has changed in the deck in the 500th anniversary edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
I saw no complete list of what exactly changed in the deck, so here is one, as well as a brief discussion of what these changes potentially mean (made by me comparing card manifests, so there may be some errors)

War in Persia, Revolt in Egypt, Revolt in Ireland: Revolt strength start 1 unit stronger, it costs -1 Card every turn you don't finish the war, and it gives 1 War Winner VP when completed. These changes make fighting it a lot more urgent, at least.

Copernicus: If half or more of your power's home spaces are Protestant, it's worth 2 VP, otherwise only 1 VP, but then you can force the Protestants to discard a random card or draw one. Nerfs the card a lot for basically everyone but Protestants and England, and now Protestants have an extra attack to worry about. It also may no longer be played in the victory determination phase.

Master of Italy: Power controlling exactly 2 of the keys gets a card draw.

Huguenot Raiders, Potosi Silver Mines, Mercator's Map: These are now playable by all powers on behalf of all relevant powers. Should make them see more play, since they can now be a part of deals, instead of requiring the recipient to be lucky.

Tercios: Can now be played by someone fighting against the Hapsburgs, to make the Hapsburgs have 3 dice fewer.

Diplomatic Overture: You draw before you give the card, stopping the "playing Diplomatic Overture as the last card" trick.

Machiavelli: The Prince: Is now a 3 CP card, but gives 2 CP of actions. That makes the war declaration cost only 1 CP, and there is also no loss of tempo, unlike before where you had to wait 1 impulse in most cases before acting on the war declaration.

Sebastian Cabot: Is not affected by the -1 Uncharted DRM for the first voyage, that applies to all other voyages of exploration. Making him even more attractive for the event than he was before.

Scots Raid: Is now a mandatory event, and essentially a totally new card. It forces Stirling to French control, then gives France 6 CP to spend, and the possibility of having a leader teleported to Scotland for 3 of those CP.

Michael Servetus: May no longer be played in the victory determination phase.

Patron of the Arts: Now rolls on a table instead of simply getting a VP, with the possibility of card draws being awarded, and also being rewarded for keeping France free of invaders and controlling even more of Italy than just Milan.

Additionally, 6 new cards were added:

From gallery of JoelCFC25

Colonial Governor/Native Uprising: Cute little card that can fit neatly into many deals. Probably not super impactful.

Thomas More: At the right time, could be huge for the Papacy! And even without the right timing a quite good event. The English/Protestant counterpart has a little less bite, but could potentially make a Cramner excommunication look really silly.

Imperial Coronation: Cute little card necessitating a bit of deal making. Also the addition of cards like this prevents extra cards from clogging up the deck too much.

La Foret's Embassy in Istanbul: Makes alliances between France and Ottomans much more likely to occur. Otherwise the same things applies as do to Imperial Coronation.

Thomas Cromwell: Strong event for England. Could also be useful for Protestants.

Rough Wooing: Seems somewhat unlikely to occur, but maybe with the new Scots Raid France can put up a much better fight for Scotland.

What impact do these changes have on the specific powers?

Ottomans: Mainly affected by the changes to Foreign War cards, and the addition of La Foret's Embassy in Istanbul. They are maybe also the most likely power to use Tercios against the Hapsburgs. The only power that can never get 2 VP from Copernicus.

Hapsburgs: Fairly likely to benefit from the Master of Italy boost, and Imperial Coronation directly encourages Charles V to go there in the first place. They are also fairly likely to benefit from the -1 Uncharted DRM to voyages, and can now get other powers to play Mercator's Map and Potosi Silver Mines on their behalf. Tercios being played against them can potentially be painful. Huguenot Raiders is also more likely to get played.

France: The big winner here! The new Home Card is clearly advantageous, La Foret's Embassy in Istanbul is basically an extra card (at the cost of exposing themselves to an excommunication), Scots Raid is now much stronger and even free for the French, making putting up a fight for Scotland considerably easier. The three New World events can now also be played by other powers on behalf of France.

England: Two clearly pro-England events got added, Rough Wooing and Thomas Cromwell. On the other hand, the Scots are much more resilient now, the Irish put up a tougher fight, and Thomas More aids the counter-reformation in England more so than his execution helps the Reformation. Other powers can also play the three New World events on their behalf. And they are one of the only likely recipients of two Copernicus VP now.

Papacy: They are fairly likely to benefit from the Master of Italy card draw. The new French home card encourages the French to go pick on the Pope. Other than those things, they are mostly affected by two of the new events, Thomas More and Thomas Cromwell. Thomas Cromwell is more pro-England than it is directly anti-Papacy, but it can be used to hit the Counter-Reformation hard in England, if whoever draws it so desires. Thomas More gives the Pope some of his best odds of burning Protestant debaters.

Protestant: The Protestants see the fewest changes. They are now the target of Copernicus' attack or card draw, but on the other hand they can still receive the 2 VP if they draw him. In the English reformation Thomas More and Thomas Cromwell shake things up, probably more to the advantage of the Pope and England rather than the Protestants. Also other powers can now play Huguenot Raiders on the Protestants' behalf.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: Paths of Glory fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan
This is really helpful. Thanks for your efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Microbadge: Feminism
Wachsmuth wrote:
Scots Raid: Is now a 3 CP mandatory event, and essentially a totally new card. It forces Stirling to French control, then gives France 6 CP to spend, and the possibility of having a leader teleported to Scotland for 3 of those CP.
Do note that this mandatory event switches Stirling to French control even if Scotland is inactive or (even worse) currently at war with England but France previously declined to intervene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pax Porfiriana fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Girl and a BoyMicrobadge: War of the Ring fan - Free PeoplesMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fan
Quote:
Mercenaries Demand Pay: You may not discard Mandatory Events to this card. I am not sure you could before, but it's made more explicit now, at least.
The card text was amended for the 2010 edition to clearly state that mandatory events could not be discarded, so this has been around for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pax Porfiriana fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Parent of a Girl and a BoyMicrobadge: War of the Ring fan - Free PeoplesMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fan
Wachsmuth wrote:
Scots Raid: Is now a 3 CP mandatory event
Apologies to all, because I believe this is based on a post I made in another thread, which was informed by materials I had received for VASSAL work. Those materials showed Scots Raid as 3 CP--in the physical production that many of you have now received, it is in fact a 2 CP card.

Quote:
The following cards got minor rewordings that I do not believe have any impact on their function, but simply serve to make them easier to understand, or clarify them better: Shipbuilding, Siege Artillery, Henry II, Mary I, Edward VI, Foreign Recruits, Luther's 95 Theses, Janissaries, Schmalkaldic League
I don't believe this section to be accurate, as none of these cards differ from their 2010 versions--perhaps the OP was not aware of the changes made to them at that time.

Quote:
Do note that this mandatory event switches Stirling to French control even if Scotland is inactive or (even worse) currently at war with England but France previously declined to intervene.
Not to worry here--the first sentence says: Ignore event unless Scotland is allied to France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Wachsmuth wrote:
Scots Raid: Is now a 3 CP mandatory event
Apologies to all, because I believe this is based on a post I made in another thread, which was informed by materials I had received for VASSAL work. Those materials showed Scots Raid as 3 CP--in the physical production that many of you have now received, it is in fact a 2 CP card.
Thanks for the corrections, I amended them. Was expecting there to be a few errors. They are indeed all based on your card manifest (thanks a lot for it, by the way, lovely resource!)

Speaking of which, I've seen someone (Ed Beach maybe?) say that Machiavelli is now a 3 CP card, while your card manifest says it's a 2 CP card. Assumed your card manifest was correct, but just double checking here, seeing as a similar mixup happened already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Wachsmuth wrote:
Speaking of which, I've seen someone (Ed Beach maybe?) say that Machiavelli is now a 3 CP card, while your card manifest says it's a 2 CP card.
That was probably me in the same post. Machiavelli is definitely now a 3 CP card (I opened the game and was going through all the cards to review last night, wondering if there were more text changes I hadn't been alerted to). The data part of the site is correct, but if the image still shows for you as 2 CP, it's a caching issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
Microbadge: Feminism
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Quote:
Not to worry here--the first sentence says: Ignore event unless Scotland is allied to France.
Ah. That part didn't make it into the ACTS module (yet). Makes more sense then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Strategikon.info userMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rules Translator
To sum up with card number

Modified cards (14):
12 Master of Italy
30 Tercios
40 Machiavelli
47 Copernicus
49 Huguenot Raiders
50 Mercator's Map
51 Michael Servetus
54 Potosi Silver Mines
74 Diplomatic Overture
92 Revolt in Egypt
93 Revolt in Ireland
97 Scots Raid
99 Sebastian Cabot
110 War in Persia

New cards (6):
111 Colonial Governor/Native Uprising
112 Thomas More
113 Imperial Coronation
114 La Forêt's Embassy in Istanbul
115 Thomas Cromwell
116 Rough Wooing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Northside Gamers GuildMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: The Resistance fan
Is there somewhere a summary of the other changes with 500th Anniversary edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is a very quick highlight of the substantive rule changes (not exhaustive, you need to find all the blue highlighted text in the rules PDF to identify all additions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Strategikon.info userMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rules Translator
gamer42_au wrote:
Is there somewhere a summary of the other changes with 500th Anniversary edition?
See 500th anniversary upgrade kit components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mexican Food fanMicrobadge: I'm not offended by Nudity!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Wingspan Egg-spansionMicrobadge: Three Amigos fan
rulx wrote:
To sum up with card number

Modified cards (14):
12 Master of Italy
30 Tercios
40 Machiavelli
47 Copernicus
49 Huguenot Raiders
50 Mercator's Map
51 Michael Servetus
54 Potosi Silver Mines
74 Diplomatic Overture
92 Revolt in Egypt
93 Revolt in Ireland
97 Scots Raid
99 Sebastian Cabot
110 War in Persia

New cards (6):
111 Colonial Governor/Native Uprising
112 Thomas More
113 Imperial Coronation
114 La Forêt's Embassy in Istanbul
115 Thomas Cromwell
116 Rough Wooing
Hmmm. Just comparing the decks from HIS and the 500th anniversary, 1, 4, 8, 13 have also changed. That's as far as I got. I'll keep going through the decks to see what changes I have found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Perhaps you are comparing the original 2006 edition to the Anniversary edition. Cards 1, 8, and 13 are completely identical between the 2010 and Anniversary editions.

The 2006 to Anniversary change list will be longer than the list above, which is a 2010 to Anniversary list (and is correct save for the omission of Patron of the Arts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mexican Food fanMicrobadge: I'm not offended by Nudity!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Wingspan Egg-spansionMicrobadge: Three Amigos fan
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Perhaps you are comparing the original 2006 edition to the Anniversary edition. Cards 1, 8, and 13 are completely identical between the 2010 and Anniversary editions.

The 2006 to Anniversary change list will be longer than the list above, which is a 2010 to Anniversary list (and is correct save for the omission of Patron of the Arts).
Aha. That is probably the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls