Subject: 3d Ogre map rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the impending arrival of the Ogre Miniatures #1 Kickstarter, I wanted to have something a little different to play them on. It also was the impetus needed to start a long term project using stuff I'd bought nearly four years ago.

Heroscape tiles, assembled and glued to make an Ogre map:

The ridges are just 1/4" wide strips of black 3/16" thick foamcore cut to fit, and aren't too sturdy, but I also wanted something that showed a 3D ridge, yet would allow an Ogre to pass over it. I'll note here that eagle eyed observers may notice I have one ridgeline in the wrong spot, but I didn't catch that until it was painted, so tough luck.

After the glue was dry, everything was messily oversprayed (outdoors) with a variety of red primer, yellow, two shades of orange, two shades of tan, red, black, some gray primer, and some silver, all using rattle cans. The ridges and craters were then drybrushed with some black and orange for a slight shadowing effect. There were then a few light oversprays with more yellow, orange, and black.

Lastly, the extra crater overlays from my ODE were used as the craters here. The final touch was red dots painted at the four appropriate spots on the long edges to indicate where your forces my initially set up on the map.

Final measurement of the map is about 23.5" x 40", and it is surprisingly stiff once the glue had set.

Forgot the obligatory messy outdoor painting image:

Okay, another edit, but no pics. I'm a bit retentive when it comes to errors I know are there, so the misplaced ridgeline was getting to me. I removed the wrong one and moved it to where it should be, then touched up the paint job. I also noticed after looking at these images that the ODE craters have an obvious "shadowed side" -- so I took off and rotated the offending craters so they all match up in light source direction.

Final edit, I swear (sort of). Total time spent was about five to six hours if you count the trip to the local hobby shop to buy the paints.
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

A map your miniatures can be proud to fight upon.

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, that's the equivalent of 322 individual Heroscape tiles, using the 1, 2, 3, and 7 hex pieces.

I'm saving the really large sheets for a potential G.E.V. map! Which might actually need no paint at all. Heroscape makes a full range of the proper colored tiles ready to use, including nice smooth blue water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichols
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! The glowing craters are nicely done, but I also like the way you’ve added (through your color mixture) an additional hint of relief of the terrain. Look forward to the GEV map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to testing this in a real world setting. I will admit to being surprised that there are no LEDs to enhance the glowing crater effect...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I will admit to being surprised that there are no LEDs to enhance the glowing crater effect...whistle
You are an evil, evil person devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:
martimer wrote:
I will admit to being surprised that there are no LEDs to enhance the glowing crater effect...whistle
The depths of my evility are truly only revealed if you know Jeff. He could easily pull it off, and it would look great. It might take him all of 5 minutes to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almighty Dave wrote:
Fantastic! The glowing craters are nicely done, but I also like the way you’ve added (through your color mixture) an additional hint of relief of the terrain. Look forward to the GEV map.

I really can't take credit for the craters though, those are the overlays straight out of the ODE box -- I had multiple extras so just used them instead of trying to develop my own.

The issue with the GEV map is it will be half again as large as this one -- there could be a problem with transporting it, not to mention fitting it on a table top. As it is, this "Ogre" one just fits the width of one of those standard plastic cafeteria tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Nostradunwhich wrote:
martimer wrote:
The depths of my evility are truly only revealed if you know Jeff. He could easily pull it off, and it would look great. It might take him all of 5 minutes to do.

I must admit, a map cast in clear resin, or vacuformed from a clear sheet, with lights underneath, would be feasible. Either would also cost a thousand dollars, easily. Who wants multiples?

[Edit for clarity: I used to be a professional model builder, so I can still access my former employer's machinery]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: "hinges".

Other words: "Four pieces, just like the originals".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jackson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
This is beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
erik krieger
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Awesome, beautiful board.

Please post some pics once you have the miniatures on it.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! But no pictures with any minis on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
...I'll note here that eagle eyed observers may notice I have one ridgeline in the wrong spot, but I didn't catch that until it was painted, so tough luck.
Okay, another edit, but no pics. I'm a bit retentive when it comes to errors I know are there, so the misplaced ridgeline was getting to me.

LOL! That's hilarious. When i read the initial post (which was missing that "another edit" part, i said to myself, "someone endeared enough with this game and their modeling hobby is certainly not going to let a misplaced rubble line stay misplaced for long."

PS: congratulations on a jawdroppingly amazing job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nichols
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sparky00 wrote:
Awesome, beautiful board.

Please post some pics once you have the miniatures on it.

Thanks.

Seconded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
[Edit for clarity: I used to be a professional model builder, so I can still access my former employer's machinery]

They should have changed the locks after you left!!!

Great job - that map is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone who enjoyed this. I'll be sure to post images with the new KS minis as soon as they arrive. Like many of you I am sure, my metal minis never got painted beyond some primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my Ogre Minis arrived today, and I quickly assembled one set of the armor. Here they are, unpainted, poorly assembled, on the 3D map:

If it's the PE turn, that Ogre is gonna get hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.