Subject: Scenario 5 - a Soviet disaster rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Huyton
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played on Vassal with my friend Pokke last week and was heavily defeated. We would both be really interested to know how others approach this scenario, especially as we will soon play it again, with sides reversed.

Pokke, as the German player, had the initial shock of somehow defending the entire board with just three units and his leaders, dug in trenches. This he did with his usual good eye for a defensive position and was able to get excellent fields of fire forcing me to cross open ground and a stream in the face of his machine guns. I had deployed most of my high morale, smg armed troops in the upper woods and close to the buildings, with a small group in the lower brush/marsh area. My plan was to try to divide German attention between my three groups, of which the northern and southern would try to dash across the map and exit for (doubled) VPs.

I tried moving the small group through to the forest edge where they could make a dash to exit the map. Unhappily, Pokke acquired a second HMG through reinforcements and, using timely opportunity fire, forced my guys back (or sent them to the eliminated units board). I then advanced in the centre to try to get a fire group against his upper hmg (three hexes away so in range of my smgs). I also sent a second group south to try the marsh/woods passage again. Further German reinforcements brought heavy artillery fire on my infantry and that plus the very effective HMG saw an end to my efforts.

Highlights of the game? I had the pleasure of double ambushing the irrepressible Dietel in close combat. The Germans enjoyed a random Russian rifle squad appearing (infiltration event) in the open a couple of hexes away from his mgs. The same unfortunate guy then reappeared as walking wounded in the middle of the stream in line of fire of an enthusiastic German fire group, who promptly sent him back to the eliminated board.

So, an easy win for the Germans. I think in hindsight that I was too focused on getting victory points through exiting my troops via the other side of the board. It probably would have been more effective to mass my infantry, who are fine quality, and try to inflict casualties on a small enemy force.

We will see what happens when roles are reversed. I am sure Pokke will come up with a plan, and CC always produces surprises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you tried the right thing. Not your fault a reinforcing HMG popped up - that can really swing the game with such a small defending force.

Also, that's the one with a limited visibility special rule, is it not? That makes fire attacks generally not so hot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your suspicions above are well founded.

When facing a limited number of enemy units with a force containing plenty of units, it is USUALLY wise to go for the 'surrender' victory, ignoring the 'points' victory. Close and destroy 'em !!

A useful tactic for achieving the above is to collect two 'move' cards in your attacking hand, play one activating half of your force, and if the defender uses an 'op fire' action, simply end that movement order. Then play the other Move on the remaining half of your force. The small defending hand is unlikely to contain two fire cards, and even if it does, the defending units which were activated for the 'op fire' cannot be re-activated for another 'op fire' during your turn. Your second move order may very well be unopposed, and allow you to snuggle up to the defenders, preparatory to an advance into the trenches on the following turn.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Huyton
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chick, for these tips, they make a lot of sense. I did get move cards but used them individually as they turned up rather than in combination like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Huyton
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Doug, for the encouragement. Yes, this scenario has the Soviets wearing winter camouflage so they get an additional +2 bonus for concealment. So you can try to get the right combination, move cards plus concealment and, to be greedy, the action that allows boxed firepower to fire when moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:

When facing a limited number of enemy units with a force containing plenty of units, it is USUALLY wise to go for the 'surrender' victory, ignoring the 'points' victory. Close and destroy 'em !!

A useful tactic for achieving the above is to collect two 'move' cards in your attacking hand, play one activating half of your force, and if the defender uses an 'op fire' action, simply end that movement order. Then play the other Move on the remaining half of your force. The small defending hand is unlikely to contain two fire cards, and even if it does, the defending units which were activated for the 'op fire' cannot be re-activated for another 'op fire' during your turn. Your second move order may very well be unopposed, and allow you to snuggle up to the defenders, preparatory to an advance into the trenches on the following turn.

Chick

Chick's points are all good - though in this case, OP noted double exit points, and that's usually also worth pursuing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good discussion here;

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/167581/balancing-scenario-5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Huyton
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bishuk wrote:

Thanks, Steve. Your post is a really interesting analysis. We played the scenario again last night, with roles reversed. Results were very similar but my opponent unluckily drew three time checks in succession so he ran out of time. I think we will now try again, bearing in mind your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:

Chick

Hey Chick, I am sure you realize this, but you didn't say it in your text. In your example with the first move order at least one unit would have had to spend a movement point. An order can not be played without executing it otherwise it would be the same as discarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinga1965 wrote:
chicklewis wrote:

Chick

Hey Chick, I am sure you realize this, but you didn't say it in your text. In your example with the first move order a least one unit would have had to spend a movement point. An order can not be played without executing it otherwise it would be the same as discarding.

Chick said to end the move order if an op fire was played. An op fire can only be played after a unit has moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael. This was in no way an effort to slight Chick. I just wanted to point it out for the less experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.