al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello -- I received some positive feedback on some Mage Knight playthroughs that I made, so I tried my hand at Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, 2nd Edition. When I was a kid, I loved to play through chess matches, and I also loved the old "Series Replays" from the General magazines. I learned many a game that way. The videos nowadays are good, but maybe some of you old timers out there, or even some newbies, will prefer to follow a game in this manner. Feel free to comment on my decisions if you plow through this.

Note -- I have some extra Discovery Tokens from an expansion that I got from Portal Games, as well as some extra Beasts. That is where they are from if you don't recognize them from the base set.

GG

Cursed Island

Starting Materials: Personal invention (Snare – not built), Corral, Bow, Lantern, Belts, Furnace in addition to the 9 standard inventions, Food Crates in threat space, Hammer and Nails, Pipe and Tobacco.

Allies: Friday, Dog.

Objective: Build 5 crosses on 5 tiles in 10 turns.

ANALYSIS – Need to find tiles with the Hill Icon and Plains Icon because I will need to build the Sacred Bell to chase away the Mysterious Fog.

Turn 1:

Event Phase: None

Morale Phase: Move token one space to the right, Carpenter gains one Determination Token.

Production Phase: Gain 1 wood and 1 food, place in Available Resources space.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Carpenter and Dog, Explore Action
2. Carpenter and Friday, Explore Action

Action Phase Resolution:
1. Carpenter and Dog: Revealed Tile 6 (Plains Icon, Food, Wood, Discovery Token, Totem)
a. Discovery Token: Goat, place in Future Resource space.
b. Totem: Place Token 1, I can now perform an Explore Action on a future turn to Resolve 3 Treasure Cards and 1 Animal Card.

2. Carpenter and Friday: Revealed Tile 4 (Hill Icon, Food, Wood, Discovery Token, Totem)
a. Discovery Token: Candles, place in Future Resource space
b. Totem: Place Token 2, Carpenter takes two wounds.

End of Action Phase: Move Food, Wood, Goat and Candles to Available Resource space. Put markers on Bricks, Pot, Rope, Medicine, Lantern, and Sacred Bell inventions, due to the discovery of the Plains and Hill Icons.

ANALYSIS – Fortunate in that I have revealed the Hill and Plains icons on my first two tries, but I will still need to explore more tiles because the Fog will obscure those icons rendering them useless. Hope I will not draw a “book” on my first Event Phase draw so I can get another clear run at those icons so I can build the needed items before the Fog rolls in. 50-50 chance.

Weather Phase: None

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter eats food.
2. Move Camp to Tile 6.
3. Carpenter takes wound due to sleeping in the open.
4. Move to Round 2.

Final round 1 stats: Carpenter has 3 wounds, Candles, Goat, Pipe and Tobacco, Hammer and Nails, 1 wood.

Turn 2

Event Phase: “Earthquake” – Turn island tile next to camp over making it inaccessible. Place on right Threat space, move Food Crates to left Threat space.
1. Turn over Tile 8
2. Place Fog markers on Tile 6 and Tile 4.
3. Remove markers from all inventions.

ANALYSIS – Lost the 50-50 coin flip. Terrible luck drawing the earthquake because now I get no production during the Production Phase and I cannot build the Rope that I need for the Sacred Bell.

Morale Phase: Move token one space to the right, Carpenter takes 2 Determination Tokens. Friday uses Tobacco and gains two Determination Tokens.

Production Phase: Gain nothing due do to Fog.

ANALYSIS – Need to re-find a Hill Icon Tile for the Sacred Bell and Plains Icon for the Rope. Was going to use all of my actions Exploring meaning sending one Carpenter Token and Friday on their own, but I scrapped that in favor of protecting Friday and getting food and saving 2 health on the Carpenter.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Friday, Expedition for Food on Threat space.
2. Carpenter and Dog, Exploration Action.
3. Carpenter, Exploration Action

Action Phase resolution:
1. Friday gathers 1 food, Expedition for Food card discarded from right Threat space. Food placed in Future Resources space.
2. Carpenter and Dog Explore Action: Reveal Tile 3 (River Icon, Beast, Food, 3 Discovery Tokens)
a. Add Beast to Beast Deck.
b. Discovery Token 1 – Tobacco, place in Future Resource space
c. Discovery Token 2 – Candles, place in Future Resource space
d. Discovery Token 3 – Herbs, place in Future Resources space
3. Carpenter Explore Action: Dice Roll: Success. Revealed Tile 10 (River Icon, Food, Wood, Discovery Token, Totem)
a. Discovery Token: Nourishing Larvae, place in Future Resource space
b. Totem 3 – Place Fog on Tile.

End of Action Phase: Move all resources from Future Resources space to Available Resources space. Place markers on Dam and Map inventions due to the River tile icon.

ANALYSIS – Even before getting the Nourishing Larvae, I realized I should have attempted to increase my weapons level and then I could have killed the Goat for food. So I wasted the Friday move. It is killing me that I cannot get the Tile icons to build the Rope and then the Bell.

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter eats food.
2. Move Camp to Tile 3
3. Carpenter takes one wound due to sleeping in the open.
4. Extra food spoils
5. Move to Turn 3.

ANALYSIS – Unlucky start, but that is the usual way of things on the Cursed Island, perhaps doubly so considered that the scenario is also called Cursed Island.

Final Turn 2 Stats -- Carpenter has 4 wounds, 2 Candles, Goat, Pipe and Tobacco, Hammer and Nails, 1 wood, Herbs, Tobacco, 3 Determination Tokens. Friday has 2 Determination Tokens and no wounds.

Turn 3

Event Phase: “Stroke of Fate” -- discard and resolve all cards on Threat Spaces, Adventure Token goes on Gather Action. Resolve bottom of Earthquake, nothing happens. Place Stroke of Fate on right Threat space.

Morale Phase: Move marker one space to the right, Carpenter heals two wounds.

Production Phase: Gain 1 Food. Place in Available Resources space. Carpenter uses Pipe and Tobacco and gains two Determination Tokens.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Carpenter and Candles, one wood and two Determination Tokens to use Build action to build Cross on Tile 3.
2. Carpenter, Explore Action
3. Carpenter and Friday, Explore Action

Action Phase Resolution
1. Cross built on Tile 3, place blue marker on Tile 3.
2. Carpenter Explore Action: Roll: Success, wound, ?. Reveal Tile 9 (Plains Icon, Food, Beast, 3 Discovery Tokens)
a. Carpenter takes one wound
b. Action Card Draw: “Lost in the Woods” – Carpenter discards two Discovery Tokens, Lost in the Woods discarded.
c. Discovery Token 1: Thorny Bushes, place in Future Resource space
d. Discovery Token 2: Healing Herbs, place in Future Resource space
e. Discovery Token 3: Old Machete, place in Future Resource space
f. Place Beast card in Beast Deck.
3. Carpenter and Friday Explore Action: Revealed Tile 5 (Mountain Icon, Food, Wood, Discovery Token, Totem
a. Discovery Token – Rum (3 Determination Tokens)
b. Totem 4 – Place 4 marker and Fog on Tile 5.

End of Action Phase: Move Rum, Healing Herbs, Thorny Bushes to Available Resources space, Discard Old Machete and move Weapon Level marker to 1. Move markers to Medicine and Rope inventions, now they can be built.

ANALYSIS – Still cannot reveal a Hill Icon, so the Sacred Bell is still not available to me. Obviously, because this is how things work on the Cursed Island, I will pull the 50-50 “book” icon on the next Event draw which will obscure the Plains icon preventing construction of the Rope. The scenario is rapidly becoming unwinnable.

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter eats food.
2. Move Camp to Tile 9.
4. Move to Round 4.

Final Turn 3 Stats -- Carpenter has 4 wounds, 1 Candle, Goat, Hammer and Nails, Herbs, Tobacco, Rum, Thorny Bushes, Healing Herbs, 1 Determination Token, Weapon Level 1. Friday has 2 Determination Tokens and no wounds.

Victory Conditions: 1 Cross built.

Turn 4

Event Phase: Draw “Fight In the Dark” – Card discarded from Beast Deck. Book icon so Fog tokens placed on tiles 3 and 9. Fight In the Dark place on Right Threat space, Stroke of Fate moves to Left Threat space. All markers moved off inventions.

ANALYSIS – I can’t catch the break that I need. With all the Fog, everything will require extra tokens.

Morale Phase: Carpenter gains two health.

Production Phase: None due to Fog.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Carpenter and Friday, Explore Action
2. Carpenter and Dog, Explore Action

Action Phase resolution:
1. Carpenter and Friday Explore: Revealed Tile 1 (Rope Icon, Wood, Beast, 2 Discovery Tokens.)
a. Discovery Token 1: Treasure
i. Treasure = Ropes: One Palisades or +1 shelter. Place in Future Resources.
b. Discovery Token 2: Rope, place in Future resources
c. Beast Card added to Beast Deck.
d. Markers added to Rope and Medicine inventions.
2. Carpenter and Dog (must roll dice since the Explore Action is two tiles away from camp): Roll: Success, Wound, ?, Revealed Tile 2 (Mountain Icon, Food, Beast, Discovery Token, Shelter, Totem)
a. Carpenter takes wound, Beast Card added to Beast Deck, Totem marker 5 added, Fog added to tile 2.
b. Adventure Card Draw: “Old Grave” – I must discard a Determination Token and shuffle into Event Deck.
c. Discovery Token: Nourishing Larvae, added to Future Resource Deck.

End of Action Phase:
Move Ropes, Rope and Larvae to Available Resources.

ANALYSIS – Got the Rope, but I still cannot build the bell without the Hill Tile, larvae helps.

Weather Phase – none

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter eats food.
2. Move Camp to Tile 1
4. Extra food spoils
5. Move to Round 5.
6. Carpenter drinks one Rum, gains one Determination Token.

ANALYSIS – Not much has gone right here. Need to get rid of the Fog and I cannot without finding the Hill Tile.

Final Turn 4 Stats: Carpenter has 4 wounds, Rum, Goat, Candles, Herbs, Healing Herbs, Rope, Ropes, Tobacco, Thorny Bushes, Hammer and Nails, 1 Determination token. Friday has 2 Determination Tokens, no wounds.

Turn 5

Event Draw: “Heavy Rain” – Adventure Token placed on Build Action Deck, Rain Cloud placed on Weather Space. Heavy Rain moves to Right Threat Space, Fight in the Dark moves to Left, Bottom of Stroke of Fate resolves, Carpenter loses one Determination Token.

Morale Phase: Carpenter gains 2 Determination Tokens.

Production Phase: Gain one wood, place in Available Resources space. Kill Goat, gain one Food, one Pelt.

ANALYSIS – Need to start gambling.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Carpenter, Candles and Pelt, to build Shelter on Tile 1.
2. Carpenter, Builder from Hammer and Nails, one Wood and two Determination Tokens to build Cross on Tile 1.
3. Friday and Dog, Explore Action.

Action Phase resolution:
1. Build Action Carpenter and Candles: Shelter Built on Tile 1, Pelt discarded. Ropes added to move Shelter to Level 1. Marker placed on Shelter Level 1. Ropes card discarded.
a. Adventure Card Draw from Token: “Coming to Terms” – Discard 3 Inventions. Shuffle into Event Deck.
i. Discard Rope, Shovel, Belts.
2. Build Action Carpenter and Hammer and Nails: Cross built, Wood and 2 Determination Tokens discarded. Cross marker placed on Tile 1.
3. Explore Action: Revealed Tile 11 (Mountain Icon, Wood, Beast, Discovery Token, Shelter)
a. Beast added to Beast Deck.
b. Discovery Token: Large Leaves, added to Future resources.
c. Discard Large Leaves and move Shelter to Level 2.

End of Action Phase: Leaves moved from Future to Available resources.

ANALYSIS – One tile left to draw and it has a Hill Icon. Very tough scenario in that it is so important to get that tile, or maybe Decorated Bell discovery token, but I got neither. I am hanging in there needing to build crosses now in the Fog and I need wood. Fortunately, the Carpenter makes it a little easier. The Shelter and Ropes will help fight off the rain clouds, but the Snow die coming from turn 6 on will eat up wood.

Weather Phase: Rain cloud blocked by Level 2 Shelter.

Night Phase
1. Carpenter eats Goat meat.
2. Move to Turn 6.

Turn 6:

Event Draw: “Precipice” – Adventure Token placed on Explore Action Deck, Island 9 turned over and is now inaccessible. Precipice moved to Right Threat Space, Heavy Rain moved to Left, bottom of Fight in The Dark is resolved, Hungry Predator Die is added to Weather Phase Roll.

Morale Phase: Carpenter heals two wounds, drinks 2 Rum and takes two Determination
Tokens.

Production Phase: Gain one wood.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Carpenter, Gather Action for Wood on Tile 11.
2. Carpenter and Friday, Gather Action for Wood on Tile 5.

Action Phase resolution:
1. Carpenter attempts to Gather Wood: Roll: Success,? (irrelevant due to Adventure Token on Gather Action Deck). Gain Wood into Future Resources Space.
a. Adventure Card Draw: “Skeleton” – Shuffle into Event Deck.
2. Carpenter and Friday attempts to Gather Wood: Roll (necessary due to Fog): Failure (gain 2 Determination Tokens),?
a. Adventure Card Draw: “Path of a Predator” – Shuffle into Event Deck.

ANALYSIS – I needed that second wood because now I won’t be able to build a Cross next turn. Despite the protection, I’ll have to move my camp to find more Tiles to build a Cross. My Event Deck now has 4 Adventure Cards in it and that is never good.

Weather Phase: Roll: White (2 snow Clouds), Red (nothing). Must discard 2 wood. Snow becomes Rain but protected by Level 2 Roof.

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter loses 2 health due to having no food.

End of Turn 6 Stats: Carpenter has taken 7 wounds, has one Hammer and Hail, Rope, Thorny Bushes, Tobacco, Healing Herbs, Herbs, 4 Determination Tokens. Friday has two Determination Tokens, no wounds.

Victory Conditions: 2 Crosses built.

Turn 7:

Event Phase: “Culled Area” – Place Adventure Token on Gather Action Deck. Get no food during production phase, but I wouldn’t have gotten it anyway. Place Culled Area on Right threat Space, move Precipice to Left, resolve bottom of Heavy Rain, place Rain Cloud on Weather Space.

Morale Phase: Carpenter takes two health.

Production Phase: Gain one wood, place in Available Resources space.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Carpenter, Builder from Hammer and Nails, two Determination Tokens and one Wood to build a cross on Tile 11.
2. Carpenter, Gather Action to gather Food on Tile 11.
3. Friday, Build Action to build Knife.

Action Phase resolution
1. Discard Wood and 2 Determination Tokens to build Cross on Tile 11, Cross marker placed.
2. Carpenter’s attempt to Gather Wood: Roll: Success, wound,? (irrelevant due to Adventure Token). Carpenter takes wound, gains one food.
a. Adventure Card Draw: “End of Source”, wood source on Tile 11 now exhausted.
3. Friday’s attempt to build the Knife: Roll: Failure, wound, 2 Determination Tokens. Friday spends 2 Tokens to reroll the Success die, Roll: Success. Friday takes a wound, Knife placed in Future Resources space, 2 Determination Tokens Discarded.

End of Action Phase: Knife added to inventory, Weapon level raised to 2.

Weather Phase: Roll: white (2 snow clouds): Discard one wood, Carpenter takes one wound for failure to meet the demand of the second cloud. Three rain clouds (adding the token on the Weather Space), discard one food and take 2 wounds due to unfulfilled wood and food demand. Move Morale Token one space to the left.

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter takes 2 wounds due to having no food, move Morale token one space to the left.

ANALYSIS – That white die roll really hurt. One cloud would have saved me many HP. Now I am hurting.

End of turn 7 Stats: Carpenter has 8 wounds, Thorny Bushes, Herbs, Healing Herbs, 2 Determination Tokens.

Turn 8:

Event Phase: “Winter Depression” – Morale goes down one more space to the left. Book icon so Fog added to tiles 1 and 11. Move to Right Threat, space, Culled area moves to Left, Precipice resolved, no effect. No inventions can be built.

Morale Phase: Move one space to the right, use Tobacco move another space to the right, Carpenter takes 2 Determination Tokens.

Production Phase: Nothing due to the Fog.

ANALYSIS – Not sure I can win, but I am not giving up.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Friday, Plentiful Hunting on the Left Threat Space to get 2 Food.
2. Carpenter pawns, Gather wood on Camp Space.

Action Phase resolution:
1. Friday gains 2 food for the camp, Plentiful Hunting Discarded.
2. Carpenters attempt to Gather Wood: Roll: Success (gain Wood),?
a. Action Card Draw: “Shortage” – Take additional wood, then cover the wood tile it is exhausted.

ANALYSIS – That may actually help me because I have to move off the tile anyway. But only if I avoid rolling two snow clouds.

End of Action Phase: Move wood to Available Resources, 2 food to Available Resources.

Weather Phase: White die Roll: 1 snow cloud. Discard one wood. Snow turns to rain, blocked by level 2 roof.

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter eats one food.
2. Other food is discarded due to spoilage.

End of Turn 8 stats: Carpenter has 8 wounds, one Wood, knife, Herbs, Healing Herbs, Thorny Bushes, 4 Determination Tokens.

Victory Conditions: 3 Crosses.

ANALYSIS – Huge break with that extra wood, so hopefully I can survive the Event Phase with that wood in tact and build the 4th cross. I’m still in the game, but I still need some luck.

Turn 9

Event Phase: “Ravishing Hurricane” – I must cover all resources on tile 5.

ANALYSIS – One big break following with one that will probably do me in because now I cannot gather any wood. I have to hope for some miracle.

Morale Phase: Move token to the right, gain 2 health.

Action Phase:

Assign Pawns:
1. Use two Determination Tokens, one wood, and 1 Carpenter Pawn and Friday to build a Cross on Tile 5.

ANALYSIS – I Because of the covered resources, I will not be able to gather this turn. I don’t know what the Adventure Cards bring, but maybe there is a chance that something could happen, should I roll a ?, that could get me a wood.

Action Phase Resolution:
1. Attempt to build the cross: Roll: Success, Cross built, wood discarded.

ANALYSIS – Figures. No idea if that would have worked anyway.

Weather Phase: White die roll: one snow cloud, Carpenter loses one health due to unfulfilled demand, rain cloud blocked by shelter.

Night Phase:
1. Carpenter loses 2 health due to no food, morale marker moves one to the left
2. Camp moved to tile 5, Carpenter loses one health due to sleeping in the open, morale moves one space to the left.

ANALYSIS – Not much hope left.

Turn 10:

Event Phase: Action Card draw from Event Deck, “Lack of Ideas” move morale token one space to the left, now on 0. Action Card Draw from Event Deck, Memories of a Dead Castaway, Carpenter discards 2 Determination tokens. Event Card: “Vertigo”- Cover resources on Tile 3, resolve bottom of Winter Depression Card, Carpenter cannot discard any more Determination Tokens, loses one health.

Carpenter surrenders to the Cursed Island

FINAL ANALYSIS – Surprised I lasted to turn 10 given that I was Fogged up for the entire game. There was nothing I could have possibly done to have built that Sacred Bell without the proper tiles uncovered and free of the Fog. I tried to explore and I revealed all but one tile and I never was able to get what I needed. I probably should have taken advantage of the Totem 1 tile allowing me to Explore for potentially 3 treasures, but I opted to Explore island tiles for the illusive Hill and Plains icons instead and I was then too far away from the Totem 1 tile to come back to it. Ultimately, this was a good game to show that sometimes the Island just wants to win and, when that happens, there is not much that can be done about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you were not aware that the fog cubes can be placed on empty island-spaces, not tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep -- I saw that somewhere months ago, the light bulb went on, but was off again when I played the scenario. Don't need to make this game any harder now do I?

Thanks for the info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.