Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATED 5/11/17

Following on from this thread, which ultimately arrives at broadly the same mechanics presented here, the idea is to present a set of fan-made multiplayer rules for you to get more usage from your decks, more play opportunities, and to introduce more players to this great and underrated game.

I have checked through all the decks for compatibility with these rules, and all cards play fine. Obviously, do not expect decks to behave in the exact same way as the two-player game. You will find the latest version of the rules below for play and discussion, and there will also be an up-to-date-as-possible copy the files section.

The rules are a work in progress with regard to the movement of Dragons. If anyone has any questions, or constructive ideas about the movement of Dragons after trying the rules in play feel free to comment.

MULTI-PLAYER BLUE MOON

The game's basic rules are unchanged except for below:

SETUP
Leave the board in the box. Have a simple layout for each player of five areas:

Draw deck – Combat Area – Leaders – Discards
…underneath those is your Support area.

Place the board in the middle of the table. The board will be used simply as somewhere to place Dragons and crystals, it has no other use in the multi-player game. Place the following on the board:
* a pile of ‘crystals’ - game crystals, cubes, or poker chips will work fine.
* a number of Dragons equal to the number of players +1. Use makeshift Dragons if you need more than 3. Keep colours as evenly split as possible, doubling up on red before blue before green.
* a makeshift start-player marker.

Players’ total number of crystals should be open information for other players.

PLAY ORDER
Play in a clockwise order from the start player, skipping players that have retreated. You must match only the power of the active player immediately preceding you.

DISCARDING CARDS
You may discard 1-3 cards and refresh your hand during the Retreat from Fight? phase as normal. Also, in the multi-player game, you may discard 1-3 cards and refresh your hand immediately after you retreat, as long as you are not the first to retreat from the fight.

PLAYING CARDS
* You are an 'active' player if you have not yet retreated from the current fight.
* On all cards, ‘You’ always refers to the next active player only. I.e. the first player to your left that is still in the fight (has not retreated).
* Interference cards can be played on any player, not just the next active player.
* Other cards state ‘…disclose/ reveal…’. Reveal and Disclose normally to all other players, whether active or not.

ATTRACTING DRAGONS
Attraction of Dragons works as it does in the standard 2-player game with the following modifications:

Dragons must be attracted with the following priority:
1. A Dragon on the board. Take the Dragon from the board and place it above your tableau.
2. If no Dragons remain on the board and you have at least one Dragon above your tableau, you may 'capture' that Dragon by placing it in the support area of your tableau. This Dragon may no longer be attracted by other players.
3. If no Dragons remain on the board and you have no Dragons above your tableau, you may attract another player's Dragon from above their tableau. This Dragon is placed on the board. You may not attract a player's captured Dragons in their support area.

TAKING THE START-PLAYER MARKER
The first player to retreat in a fight takes the start-player marker. The player with the start-player marker will be the start player for the next fight.

WINNING A FIGHT
At the end of the fight, players take a number of crystals depending on when they retreat. Take crystals at the moment of retreat:
* first to retreat takes 0 (zero) crystals
* second to retreat takes 1 crystal
* third to retreat takes 2 crystals
* fourth to retreat takes 3 crystals
etc.

The winner of the fight therefore takes a number of crystals equal to the number of players minus 1, and attracts one Dragon.

If you have a total of 6+ cards in your combat and support areas (not necessarily all active) when you win a fight or retreat, you attract one additional Dragon.

GAME END AND VICTORY
There are no instant victory conditions in the multi-player game. Otherwise, the game ends as per the regular game (i.e. when a player exhausts their draw deck and hand).

The winner is the player with the most crystals at game end. Each Dragon is worth an additional 3 crystals to whoever holds them captive and/ or above their tableau.

CARD CLARIFICATIONS - ATTRACTING DRAGONS
"If I retreat, you may not attract Dragons." or "...you may attract no more than one Dragon." or "... you attract one fewer Dragon.": does what it says on the tin. The next active player may not attract Dragons in any way (or may attract no more than one, or attracts one fewer (to a minimum of zero)) during their immediately following turn.

"If you retreat, I attract one fewer Dragon." or "...I attract one additional Dragon.": when you play such a card (Tutu 505, Khind 24, Infl 606, or Vulca 27), the text on it only activates when the active player to your left is the only active opponent remaining in the fight. If you attract one fewer Dragon, you do so to a minimum of 0.

"If you win the game...": in this case 'you' means every other player.

Example: Player A plays text: "If you retreat, I attract one fewer Dragon." Player B retreats, but player A's text does not activate because there are two other players still active (C and D). Player C also retreats, and still player A's text does not activate because there is another active opponent. Player D must face A's attack because both B and C retreated, and finds she must also retreat. Player A attracts one fewer Dragon.

Had player B, C, or D matched A's attack, A's text would no longer apply, as per usual.

EXAMPLE FIGHT
Milly Mimix
Plays Shaman of the Deeds to Come and announces 2 in Earth. At the end of her turn she takes 3 additional cards and shuffles 2 back into her deck as per her card instructions.

Kenny Khind
Kenny must match Milly's 2 Earth. He plays three of the No gang for a total of 3 in Earth.

Terry Terrah
Terry must match Kenny’s 3 Earth. He plays Terraton and the booster Caterpillar Eartheroder and announces 4 in Earth.

Penny Pillar
Penny must match Terry’s 4 Earth. She plays Speedius Unnecessarious, the free booster Caterpillar Watertamer, and announces 4 in Earth.

Milly Mimix
Milly must match Penny’s 4 Earth. She plays Mutant Neth-sur-Pot and announces 5 in Fire (Neth changes the element). She can play Neth if Kenny has at least three active character/ booster/ support cards, and Kenny had played three characters. At the end of her booster/ support phase Milly discards cards as per Penny’s booster.

Kenny Khind
Kenny has another No gang card and plays it. His gang’s total power is now 8 in fire!

Terry Terrah
Terry plays Mutant Ras-mus-Pan for a shielded 4 in Earth (Ras changes the element).

Penny Pillar
Penny plays the Leadership card Bounce Back. She accordingly announces 4 in Earth again.

Milly Mimix
Plays Amazon Leaping High, and the Hypnotic Rattle support card. No other player may play booster cards. Jenny announces 4 in Earth.

Kenny Khind
Plays two of the Cool gang and the Oath of Khindship support card. Terry’s support cards are reduced to 0 for the next play. Kenny announces 4 in Earth and takes an extra card as per Oath.

Terry Terrah
Retreats and takes the start-player marker.

Penny Pillar
Due to Terry’s retreat, Penny must now match Kenny’s power. She plays Devious Maximus for 8 Earth, once added to her existing support card.

Milly Mimix
Retreats and takes 1 crystal. She also swaps out 2 of her cards.

Kenny Khind
Retreats and takes 2 crystals. He also swaps out 3 of his cards.

Penny Pillar
Wins the battle and takes 4 crystals. With only 4 cards played she cannot attract a Dragon.

Terry, having the start-player marker, will start the next fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! Very intersting.

So when playing multiplayer, I have to match the number from the player to my right, and the special powers of my cards apply to my left (you= left/next player).

So I can still use cards increasing my number to match the number from the right player (as they apply to my number), but cards lowering the opponent's number can't be used to avoid retreating anymore because they are now applied to my left player.

Looks almost like a different game. I wonder how the decks resist when the "you" is not anymore the person whose nuber you need to match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
juls2 wrote:
Looks almost like a different game. I wonder how the decks resist when the "you" is not anymore the person whose nuber you need to match.

A different way to play for sure. Some of those who've tried the multiplayer rules as written say a better way if all you're after is a casual game. It's lots more chaotic and lots of fun, and you still get some classic 1-to-1 match-ups at the end of a round when there are only two players left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls