Pandemic Legacy: Season 2» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Menace and Momentum in May rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before the initial infection—so many cubes!

Early May

Some early inoculations:
Inoculated New York—deliberately left one card, since New York is relatively convenient to visit.
Inoculated Bogotá x2—now safe
Inoculated Buenos Aires.
Inoculated London x2, then again later—now safe

Sara Swift did recon in London, so Paris automatically connected and we gained the shuttle flight ability. Samson did recon in Cairo, using his Outrider ability. Baghdad automatically connected. That gave us an unrationed event that we used to make Sara Swift good at establishing supply lines, giving her the Foreman ability and covering up her scar. Suddenly we’re approaching the Hollow Men—I’m a bit concerned that we did this recon earlier expected thanks to Samson’s ability, and that we won’t have the tools in place to deal with the Hollow Men when we encounter them. We’re now at sudden risk of exposure almost everywhere.

We also inoculated Tripoli at some point, and Lagos had been inoculated last game.

We established a supply line to Frankfurt. We thought we had to establish two new supply lines, but then we actually looked at the objective and saw that we just needed to connect two new cities to the grid, which had already happened with Paris and Baghdad.

We had an epidemic with no cards in the draw pile, which was a bit awkward. We could have chosen to use our unrationed event to scrap the one card that come out from the bottom, but Mark thought it was unnecessary. And he was right that the odds were in our favour, but that decision ultimately cost us the game. On our final infect step before winning, we had only three empty cities that could lead to incidents, and we drew two out of the three of them, bringing us to 8 incidents. So it was a disappointing loss, but we still made lots of progress. I wonder whether the next game will be better or worse, now that we’ll be encountering Hollow Men throughout.

We’ll have eight epidemic cards in the next game.

Game over

We spent our five Production Units increasing all the 1-population cities on the grid up to 2: Santiago, Mexico City, Chicago, LA, and Lima. The last three had just declined to 1 due to plague. Now that the Hollow Men can appear at any time, we really want to be careful about keeping cities away from the brink.

The other natural/plague based population changes were as follows: Washington down to 4 and Istanbul down to 2; Sao Paolo up to 7, Lagos and Cairo up to 5, London up to 4.

After game-end adjustments

Late May

This game went much more smoothly. We had nowhere near enough different yellow cards to do recon in Lagos, so we just focused on the quick and easy objectives: we connected a couple new cities to the grid (Moscow and Riyadh), did a couple of searches (Frankfurt and Baghdad), and built our three mandatory Supply Centers. The most notable Supply Center was in Atlanta, which we later made permanent, since North America was the only region where we had no permanent Supply Centers. We also added a couple of extra supply lines to facilitate travel between existing cities on the grid, and did a bunch of inoculation: Lima (now safe), Cairo x3 (now safe), and various other cities.

Hollow Men did start to gather—in San Francisco, in Atlanta, and in Sao Paolo—but they didn’t cause us too much trouble. What’s worse is the uncertainty of knowing that they can appear in almost any city with minimal warning, so we’re less inclined to end our turns outside the safety of the havens or the few fully-inoculated cities.

Another notable event is that we did our first system-wide produce, towards the beginning of the game when the first Epidemic was slow in coming. That was pretty satisfying, and it was a card with three boxes, so it didn’t seem like a big sacrifice.

The excitement of production in Sao Paolo

I’d say it was a good game overall; my only concern is that we were really not at all close to doing the recon in Lagos, and as we keep adding more and more black cities to the grid, it will only become more difficult. Hopefully we haven’t created any serious problems by doing the Middle Eastern recon before the African one.

Final board state

End game population effects were as follows:
Washington, Jacksonville both down from 4 to 3 due to plague
SF down from 2 to 1 due to Hollow Man
Paris down from 2 to 1 due to plague
Cairo and Lagos both up to 6 due to Supply Center
Lima up to 3 due to Supply Center
Sao Paolo and Atlanta effects cancelled out (both had a Supply Center and a Hollow Man)

We used our six Production Units to restore the populations of SF and Paris to 2, and also increase the newly-connected Moscow to 2, and make permanent the Supply Center in Atlanta.

After game-end adjustments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Looby Lou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Momentum and Marauders in May
Spoiler in title dickhead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your articulate response. We've actually been dealing with marauders every single game; they've been tearing down our supply centers since January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
Thanks for your articulate response. We've actually been dealing with marauders every single game; they've been tearing down our supply centers since January.

Those are Hollow Men, not
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Marauders
. If you mean Hollow Men, you should change the thread title because
Marauders
sounds like it's a spoiler.

If, however, there's something in the game called
Marauders
, and it is revealed in one of the hidden pieces of info in the game, then you shouldn't reference them in the title.

Also, there are a bunch of spoiler-y pics in this thread, at the very least. Those should be within spoiler tags, and/or the thread title should indicate that there are spoilers for whichever unlock revealed those things.

Please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that your questions make it clear that it's *not* a spoiler—you can't tell what it means.

I'll start another thread asking for clarification about when people can see what information. In particular, are photos in a session report visible to people who don't actively click on the thread? And is there a reasonable expectation to see May spoilers in a May session report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Re: [Spoilers] in May
Poor Denver...plan on helping them get back on their feet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I see an admin has stepped in to change the title. Curious whether that person has actually played the game or consulted with anyone who has played the game.

We keep thinking about helping Denver get back on their feet—it's been like that since Early April, and we recently finished June—but there always seems to be something better to do with our production units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Dunyazad wrote:
And I see an admin has stepped in to change the title. Curious whether that person has actually played the game or consulted with anyone who has played the game.

We keep thinking about helping Denver get back on their feet—it's been like that since Early April, and we recently finished June—but there always seems to be something better to do with our production units.

A supply center can usually solve that, and since you have to do them anyway, and can use Shuttle Flight to warp away...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean building a supply center in Denver now?

I thought the actions we could do in a Forsaken city were extremely limited (basically move in and out?), though I don't have my modified rulebook on hand right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Dunyazad wrote:

I thought the actions we could do in a Forsaken city were extremely limited (basically move in and out?), though I don't have my modified rulebook on hand right now.

It never came up for me, so I might be wrong, but I thought that was just for moving into the city. You couldn't use Sail or Charter Boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levine
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt620 wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

It never came up for me, so I might be wrong, but I thought that was just for moving into the city. You couldn't use Sail or Charter Boat.

Nope, just drive/ferry - not even any free actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
I would argue that your questions make it clear that it's *not* a spoiler—you can't tell what it means.

Would you also argue that your pics don't contain spoilers? Because they absolutely do, so the admins were correct in changing the title of the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A session report with "May" in the title is your warning that the thread contains spoilers. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sabash wrote:
Dunyazad wrote:

Would you also argue that your pics don't contain spoilers? Because they absolutely do, so the admins were correct in changing the title of the thread.

Not on the basis of the pictures they weren't. They changed it because somebody moaned that the title itself was a spoiler (it wasn't).

If you don't want to be exposed to spoilers, don't go reading session reports, which by their very nature are going to be talking about what happened in the game. It's like complaining that you read a plot summary and it spoiled the fact Vader is Luke's dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:

If you don't want to be exposed to spoilers, don't go reading session reports, which by their very nature are going to be talking about what happened in the game. It's like complaining that you read a plot summary and it spoiled the fact Vader is Luke's dad.

Why would you just spoil the plot of Star Wars like that? Reported (and I hope an admin will edit your post) angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Hey all. I made the change to the thread title in a rush Tuesday night, and then promptly forgot about it afterwards. Thus my failure to also comment in the thread to explain my reasoning. That is my fault and I apologize for that.

The original thread title was "Momentum and Marauders in May". Normally a stylistic flourish in a thread title would be fine, but the nature of Legacy games makes that tricky. Anyone who has not played through May can assume that the term, which until then had not appeared in the game, was a spoiler. Being in the thread title, it appears on the front page of the site for anyone with the Sessions module, so even people specifically avoiding the game page would be exposed to something they could justifiably be concerned about being a spoiler for the game.

Imagine the anger that would arise if someone were trolling the Pandemic Legacy forums by posting fake spoilers. Dunyazad's intent was clearly not to troll the forum, but the end result in the thread was similar. Even with the in-thread explanation that it is not a spoiler, it still lead to multiple complaints in the thread, user flags, and private geekmails from people whose only exposure was through the front page.

I edited the title as that was the source of the confusion and anger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Black
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I slightly understand the frustrations of others about the title, but in Dunyazad's defense, I didn't even remember they were called a specific term... I really just thought the flourish of the title was just consistent with the previous titles. It's could've just been a generic term for the hollow men for all anyone knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was indeed intended as a generic term for the Hollow Men.

Though I think clarifying precisely what it means is more of a spoiler than the original title itself—in theory people might have imagined that the Hollow Men would disappear by May, unlikely as that might be.

It sure would have been convenient if all our supply centers suddenly stuck around forever laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.