Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Oh well, someone told on me and i got banned for a day. Lol. It’s a sad state of affairs. Debate is long dead.

I rest my case.

Andy
😀

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what rules you broke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we all that fragile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Are we all that fragile?

I ride a bike in New York City traffic. I get yelled at on a daily basis (ok, maybe "weekly" is more accurate?). Fragile I ain't.

I'm not polite because people around me are fragile, I'm polite because I wish to be treated with courtesy and so I treat others the same way. I call people "sir" or "ma'am", try always to say thank you, and make friendly small talk to brighten people's days (because then they often return the favor and brighten my day).

On here I can be a little snarky sometimes, needle a trifle, I'm not perfect. The Internet sees me at my most combative, but I still try and be courteous. Why not?

You want a politeness story? I play a lot of poker, some of it in illegal clubs here in NYC. Years ago I was at a club run by a dude named "T". T was an ex-marine and built tough. He was almost always super polite. I remember once someone said a homophobic slur. T responded "Hey Bobby, none of that. I don't know who plays here, what they do, but we're all friends here, everyone's welcome." I remember being impressed. Would you call T fragile for being polite? If so, I could tell some other stories about him, like the time one of his dealers showed him disrespect. That didn't go well for the guy.

There's nothing weak or fragile about being polite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
Different people like different things???
STOP THE PRESSES!!

I'm with you on this man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
Are we all that fragile?

I ride a bike in New York City traffic. I get yelled at on a daily basis (ok, maybe "weekly" is more accurate?). Fragile I ain't.

I'm not polite because people around me are fragile, I'm polite because I wish to be treated with courtesy and so I treat others the same way. I call people "sir" or "ma'am", try always to say thank you, and make friendly small talk to brighten people's days (because then they often return the favor and brighten my day).

On here I can be a little snarky sometimes, needle a trifle, I'm not perfect. The Internet sees me at my most combative, but I still try and be courteous. Why not?

You want a politeness story? I play a lot of poker, some of it in illegal clubs here in NYC. Years ago I was at a club run by a dude named "T". T was an ex-marine and built tough. He was almost always super polite. I remember once someone said a homophobic slur. T responded "Hey Bobby, none of that. I don't know who plays here, what they do, but we're all friends here, everyone's welcome." I remember being impressed. Would you call T fragile for being polite? If so, I could tell some other stories about him, like the time one of his dealers showed him disrespect. That didn't go well for the guy.

There's nothing weak or fragile about being polite.

True. Though I’m one of yer most polite people out there. Politeness is not what I’m talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Are we all that fragile?

(This was my second choice of xkcd comic to post here, but the one about Free Speech had some choice words and I don't feel like I need to sink to that level at this point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eye roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
True. Though I’m one of yer most polite people out there. Politeness is not what I’m talking about.

What ARE you talking about?

I looked over your posts. They did not strike me as coming from the most polite person out there. "Lol" "Grow up" "I win Boom" "You poor thing" "You'll lose" "Eye roll". These words do not express any factual arguments. They are not necessary for intelligent debate. You could have expressed all your ideas, which while going against the grain are not especially controversial, and not had any problem.

Why can't you make your arguments without those extra comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, why does your cherry picking of my emotions somehow define me? It doesn’t. I was largely defending myself. That’s how I saw it. Your capital ARE is considered yelling. Is that polite?

But, if you can move on from that.

I was saying that many of the games that have the 1 to X player counts are not really games in my opinion. They are wide open puzzles or tech trees that have little to no tense player interaction. This bothers me. They are multiplayer solitaire. This trend is boring.

andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

I looked over your posts. They did not strike me as coming from the most polite person out there. "Lol" "Grow up" "I win Boom" "You poor thing" "You'll lose" "Eye roll". These words do not express any factual arguments. They are not necessary for intelligent debate. You could have expressed all your ideas, which while going against the grain are not especially controversial, and not had any problem.

I win boom has to be one of the classiest and most polite phrases today.
Imagine how much respect you gain by doing that after a company meeting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Carl, why does your cherry picking of my emotions somehow define me? It doesn’t. I was largely defending myself. That’s how I saw it. Your capital ARE is considered yelling. Is that polite?

andy

It is emphatic because sometimes no pain no gain. It cannot really seem like cherry picking either, to me, it was simply someone observing self inflicted wounds and then asking "Isn't there a safer way?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

andy

It is emphatic because sometimes no pain no gain. It cannot really seem like cherry picking either, to me, it was simply someone observing self inflicted wounds and then asking "Isn't there a safer way?"

Let’s get to my point. Or not. Being lectured to by people on bgg isn’t really of any value to me. I know myself and I’m certain those that think wha they th8n of me are mistaken. But that is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
I was saying that many of the games that have the 1 to X player counts are not really games in my opinion. They are wide open puzzles or tech trees that have little to no tense player interaction. This bothers me. They are multiplayer solitaire. This trend is boring.

andy

Though I would personally change the last sentence for something like "I find this trend boring," I think this is a good example of an opinion expressed in a way that is not confrontational and invites friendly discussion about what counts as a game, the importance (or not)of player interaction and the issue of solitaire gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
Carl, why does your cherry picking of my emotions somehow define me? It doesn’t. I was largely defending myself. That’s how I saw it.

andy

Andy,

Awesome. Look at you making your points without lols or eyerolls. Well done! You could have done that all day long and argued for pages. I mention your "emotions" because that's clearly what got you in trouble, not your arguments.

Sure, your arguments, which were made a trifle provocatively, got some people bugged at you, but that's to be expected. It's just something you have to deal with. Once you start responding emotionally, you've lost.

Now as to your actual point...

I disagree that games with 1 player counts are merely puzzles. The Gallerist, for example, is listed as 1-4 but when it's played multiplayer there is a fair bit of interaction. First, people are trying to steal your artists out from under you, the jerks! And they try to steal the patrons from your gallery! AND they bump you out of your location (which can be a good thing, IF you're prepared for it). It's not a wargame, but you have to watch what the other players are doing, and maybe mess with them, if you want to win.

There is a big difference between games that are less confrontational and games that are multiplayer solitaire.

Now are these 1-4 player games super confrontational? Generally, no. But so what? People like playing them. Some people prefer games with less direct confrontation. How does that hurt you?

Are confrontational games still being made? Yep. Wargames, of course, are streaming out at a steady rate. I just bought Unconditional Surrender from GMT. Ameritrash dudes on a map game like Star Wars Rebellion or Forbidden Stars are obviously confrontational. Food Chain Magnate is a cutthroat business game, brutally confrontational at times. Eric Lang's Blood Rage, the Godfather, and the upcoming Rising Sun are all confrontational.

And what about co-ops? Sure, they are not confrontational, but they aren't multiplayer solitaire. It's a team effort. If you don't work with your teammates in Spirit Island you will die.

EDIT: I spent so much time typing this post that you got in 2 edits of yours. Apologies that they no longer match, but I think it doesn't matter. As for my "ARE", I wouldn't call that yelling, I'd call it emphasizing a word to make a point. Generally yelling, online, is when you go on for a bunch of words on a row all caps. And btw, "ARE"? were you truly offended by my capitalizing "are"? As internet offenses go, that's pretty mild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:

True. Though I’m one of yer most polite people out there.

Sorry, but all evidence in this thread points to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

I love the arrogance and power some wield in these forums. You are judge jury and executioner Charles. Well done. I’m proud of you.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:

andy

No - his capital "ARE" is considered emphasis on that word. While the italics tag is available on BGG, it is not the easiest thing to use, so many people tend to fall back to the thing available in most online environments when trying to emphasize a single word or phrase - ALL CAPS.

IT IS CONSIDERED YELLING WHEN YOU WRITE OUT YOUR WHOLE SENTENCE IN CAPITAL LETTERS. SEE THE DIFFERENCE?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha amazing you are so emotionally invested in this Charles. Step away, dude.

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

I love the arrogance and power some wield in these forums. You are judge jury and executioner Charles. Well done. I’m proud of you.

:devil:

So when you get all ornery with your words, it's just friendly debate? When other folks criticize you, they're powerful authority figures who are oppressing you? How does Charles have any "power"? He just made a comment. True, he was disagreeing with you, but how does that make him powerful and arrogant? He's just a dude on BGG.

I dunno man, I'm kinda stumped here. Basically you seem to see any criticism of your words as an unwarranted and unfair attack. And yet you talk about other people being fragile?

I mean no offense when I say that if you want to have a calm debate you'd be better off dialing down some of your words. You don't have to, of course. Instead, you can ratchet things up, get criticized, and then blame all your critics for unfairly attacking you and making real debate impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
skutsch wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

I win boom has to be one of the classiest and most polite phrases today.
Imagine how much respect you gain by doing that after a company meeting...

I find that, generally, saying "I win, boom" is itself the move that means you have lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Victoria
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on how the conversation here went before and after a temporary disappearance, it would seem that more confrontational player interactions invite emotional responses and ratchet up the tension in social settings. Some people enjoy that, and some do not. Kinda one of thoes things where each person either loves it or hates it, but there isn't a lot of middle ground.

For those who don't like the tension or confrontation, there are games that tone it down and let them "do their thing" while they play with others and interact in ways they all enjoy.

Personally? It depends on my mood and the group of players. Some people I've played with struggled to compartmentalize and understand that me taking actions that advance my position while setting them back are not personal attacks or brought on by out-of-game reasons. Some people I've played with love the intensity of a well-fought game and we have an absolute blast tearing into each other and constantly needing to change tactics to meet the newest setback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Captain Sonar? Most of the time you're not directly interacting with the 'other' players. Instead, you're busy talking to your own team and trying to navigate that darn sub to the right location. Of course, even though you're not doing much to the other side, mostly, two of you (captain and radio operator) are paying a LOT of attention to what those other guys are doing. So is that confrontational?

The one time I played, I was the engineer and I did nothing confrontational. I just marked stuff off on my board and trying to coordinate with my teammates. Nevertheless, I FELT like I was in a tough competition with the other team. I wanted to do my best to make sure they got sunk, even though I had no direct connection to the battle aspects of the game. In a weird way, I was almost in my own little solitaire mini game.

Whatever you call the game, I had a blast (even though we lost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

You cannot simultaneously decide to establish yourself as one of the most polite people out there and call out people, even when they have done things that make you think they deserve it, such as treating you unfairly. Indeed, the more unfairly they have treated you, the more that strategy is unlikely to work. You are trading short term emotional satisfaction for long term getting what you want out of life, and it is a rotten trade.

If you ratchet down the 'everybody should get what they deserve' reaction inside you, you may find this meta-game amusing. It's called -- the first person to resort to name-calling, or other personal comments loses. It's related to another meta-game, called -- it's not what you say, but how you say it. Keep score on yourself. If you get good at this game you can watch people who disagree with you shoot themselves in the foot again, and again, and again because they won't be able to withstand, not your reasoned arguments (which, if they are idiots, they aren't listening to anyway) but your reasoned manner. Cultivating a reasoned manner gets you a whole lot of the good things in life, and is worth a whole lot of study. Hard work, of course, like many of the best things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryngin Mordeth
msg tools
I don't see the debate. Good games, good movies, and a life well lived only need 5 things.
1. Kill people.
2. Take their stuff.
3. Return to base.
4. Drink.
5. Have sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.