Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

True. Though I’m one of yer most polite people out there.

Sorry, but all evidence in this thread points to the contrary.

I love the arrogance and power some wield in these forums. You are judge jury and executioner Charles. Well done. I’m proud of you.

devil

I don't understand why people think its okay to judge someone based on internet posting. Nearly everyone is different on the internet due to a sense of anonymity. If you don't want to deal with someone online you have the right to just stop replying and reading their posts.

Because you have to read the posts, internet posting is an active process. It's not the same as having a conversation with someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

I love the arrogance and power some wield in these forums. You are judge jury and executioner Charles. Well done. I’m proud of you.

devil

I don't understand why people think its okay to judge someone based on internet posting. Nearly everyone is different on the internet due to a sense of anonymity. If you don't want to deal with someone online you have the right to just stop replying and reading their posts.

Because you have to read the posts, internet posting is an active process. It's not the same as having a conversation with someone.

why not? why can't we have civil discussion, free from obnoxious comments? why can't we "judge" someone for the way they post? (by "judge" you seem to mean "disagree with"). This isn't a free-for-all. This is a privately owned site with rules on how we are allowed to communicate with each other.

I absolutely will judge people based on how they interact with others here. People don't get a free pass to be an asshole because internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael W.
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like what I like. You like what you like. I don't have to like what you like. You don't have to like what I like.

Look at all the "liking" going on...

ArrOOoo!

#justsayin #kumbayalike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
jahhdog wrote:

I like what I like. You like what you like. I don't have to like what you like. You don't have to like what I like.

ArrOOoo!

#justsayin #kumbayalike

I don't like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
jahhdog wrote:

ArrOOoo!

#justsayin #kumbayalike

I don't like that.

I don't like that you don't like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
skutsch wrote:
jahhdog wrote:

Look at all the "liking" going on... :p

ArrOOoo!

#justsayin #kumbayalike

I don't like that.

I don't like that you don't like that

I "liked" that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh dear this thread seems to have inflated into the very thing the OP actually despised.
A Multiplayer solitaire game is currently in full flow here with the only interaction from the starting 1+ player being short thrift tabletop trash talking toward the players involved and trying to knock them off their gameplay.
Hopefully now it will settle down a bit as there seems to be more personal digs here than a dwarf mountain expedition.

+1 to the epic quote-quest tableaux in action, some of them have been fun reads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

I don't understand why people think it's okay to be a jerk on the internet. There's a real person on the other side of that screen. If you're a jerk online it's because you want to be a jerk. That says something about a person.

Additionally, the judging is specifically in context. medievalbanquet did not say "I'm being a jerk here, but I'm really polite in person." They said "I am one of yer most polite people out there" unqualified. If that statement were true, it would apply online as well. It may very well be that they are polite in person, but that is not the context of any of our interactions or any of the statements they have made.

While the personas that we construct for ourselves online can be distinct from the personas that we construct for ourselves in person, each of those personas is a facet of that person. Someone who is persistently aggressively rude and openly admits to making posts with the purpose of eliciting a negative emotional response is not "a polite person" because at least one of their personas has "aggressively rude" as one of their most salient traits.

Some online venues require greater degrees of active participation (it's easy to avoid posts you don't want to see here compared to, say, twitter), it's not accurate to say that you can simply stop reading the posts and it's like they're not there. Users can harrass you via geekmail, it's very easy to stalk someone here, and even the best case scenario where the issue is isolated to a single thread created by the person in question (as it is here), it's still disruptive and even if you hide the user or ignore every post they make they still warp the discussion.

TLDR: People who are jerks online actually are jerks regardless of how polite they are in person, and it's not possible to completely ignore a person who is actively being disruptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

I don't understand why people think its okay to judge someone based on internet posting. Nearly everyone is different on the internet due to a sense of anonymity. If you don't want to deal with someone online, you have the right to just stop replying and reading their posts.

why not? why can't we have civil discussion, free from obnoxious comments? why can't we "judge" someone for the way they post? (by "judge" you seem to mean "disagree with"). This isn't a free-for-all. This is a privately owned site with rules on how we are allowed to communicate with each other.

I absolutely will judge people based on how they interact with others here. People don't get a free pass to be an asshole because internet.

That isn't what I am saying. What, I am saying that the assumption that the way someone acts online is the way they act in real life, is flawed.

That not the same as saying its okay to act up online or you should give them a free pass. You just need to realize that what they are saying online isn't necessarily who they are in real life.

There are rules, and we should follow the rules of decorum this is a private site. I agree with all that.

What I am saying is that you can't assume someone is rude in real life because they made a rude comment on a site under the mask of anonymity.

They could be rude in real life or they could be immature when it comes to online anonymity but very civil in orderly in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

I don't understand why people think its okay to judge someone based on internet posting. Nearly everyone is different on the internet due to a sense of anonymity. If you don't want to deal with someone online, you have the right to just stop replying and reading their posts.

That isn't what I am saying. What, I am saying that the assumption that the way someone acts online is the way they act in real life, is flawed.

That not the same as saying its okay to act up online or you should give them a free pass. You just need to realize that what they are saying online isn't necessarily who they are in real life.

There are rules, and we should follow the rules of decorum this is a private site. I agree with all that.

What I am saying is that you can't assume someone is rude in real life because they made a rude comment on a site under the mask of anonymity.

They could be rude in real life or they could be immature when it comes to online anonymity but very civil in orderly in real life.

It doesn't matter if he's not rude offline or not. Online is "the real world" as much as offline, and he IS rude online, so he is NOT a polite person as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to point out that if anything I'm better behaved on here than in real life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

If the only thing standing between you and being super rude is the threat of social consequence tied to your real-life identity, then you are not a polite person.

Though I'm still not clear why a person's in-person behavior would have any bearing whatsoever on a discussion of their behavior here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

I don't understand why people think it's okay to be a jerk on the internet. There's a real person on the other side of that screen. If you're a jerk online it's because you want to be a jerk. That says something about a person.

Additionally, the judging is specifically in context. medievalbanquet did not say "I'm being a jerk here, but I'm really polite in person." They said "I am one of yer most polite people out there" unqualified. If that statement were true, it would apply online as well. It may very well be that they are polite in person, but that is not the context of any of our interactions or any of the statements they have made.

While the personas that we construct for ourselves online can be distinct from the personas that we construct for ourselves in person, each of those personas is a facet of that person. Someone who is persistently aggressively rude and openly admits to making posts with the purpose of eliciting a negative emotional response is not "a polite person" because at least one of their personas has "aggressively rude" as one of their most salient traits.

Some online venues require greater degrees of active participation (it's easy to avoid posts you don't want to see here compared to, say, twitter), it's not accurate to say that you can simply stop reading the posts and it's like they're not there. Users can harrass you via geekmail, it's very easy to stalk someone here, and even the best case scenario where the issue is isolated to a single thread created by the person in question (as it is here), it's still disruptive and even if you hide the user or ignore every post they make they still warp the discussion.

TLDR: People who are jerks online actually are jerks regardless of how polite they are in person, and it's not possible to completely ignore a person who is actively being disruptive.

I don't see what is actually disruptive and that might be the problem. He has stated that things were boring and such, but these are things. I may have missed it, but I didn't see him attacking anyone only inanimate objects that others are attached to.

I'm not trying to but harsh here. But trash talking a board game or group of board games isn't being a Jerk or stalking or harassing a person. Those are completely different things.

You can yell at the top of your lungs for the rest of your life that Tales of Arbain Nights and Monopoly are boring, not real games, overrated, a ban to humanity and not only worthless but make those who play them dumber.

(just trying to record some of the things I've heard on this site about these two games I enjoy)

Someone can say all of this and have both in real life and on this site. And still not be attacking me or being a jerk.

You are allowed to hate inanimate objects they don't care. Monopoly and the people who make it are going to make millions every year no matter what you think.

The people like myself who play the game and enjoy it are still going to play it and enjoy it as much as they always have.

Because, your feeling about an inanimate, object no matter how negative and degrading to that object don't affect me or my enjoyment, or not, of the said object.

You can argue that he could be more sensitive to those that have an issue with people disliking things they like, or who dislike people making universal statements about games they like. But that doesn't make him a jerk or a stalker. Harassing a human being and pursing them when they asked to be left alone is what make someone a jerk or a stalker.

Saying MPS games are boring may be offensive to some that enjoy them. I enjoy them, and I'm not offended. Yes, he could word things better but calling him a jerk and going into harassment and stalking is a bit too far in my opinion.

If you don't like what he is saying or how he is saying it, by all means, call him out on it. Just make sure you don't go too far because then you become the jerk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

which is irrelevant. I'm not interacting with him in the real world. I'm interacting with him here. And if someone is a jerk here, I'm going to judge them to be a jerk. It's not on me to guess what people might be like away from here. All I have to go on is what I read. I reserve the right to make whatever judgement I want based on what i am presented with.

On a side note: what is so difficult about being polite anyway? why must anyone ever feel the need to call others "thin skinned" or "sensitive" for not wanting to be insulted or provoked. The only people who ever complain about others being "too PC" or "too sensitive" are obnoxious people who are upset that they are being called out for being obnoxious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

If the only thing standing between you and being super rude is the threat of social consequence tied to your real-life identity, then you are not a polite person.

Though I'm still not clear why a person's in-person behavior would have any bearing whatsoever on a discussion of their behavior here.

Because it's at least my assumption that in the information quoted he was referring to his personal life.

Personally, I do think there is a difference between the two. Even with my self even though I try to be courteous to others at all times.

I can have more open discussions on like that in real life. Because if I do accidentally offend someone, I can more easily avoid them online than in real life.

Like I said before I, not making an excuse for anyone here. I'm just saing there is a differance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
medievalbanquet wrote:

devil

I don't see what is actually disruptive and that might be the problem. He has stated that things were boring and such, but these are things. I may have missed it, but I didn't see him attacking anyone only inanimate objects that others are attached to.

I'm not trying to but harsh here. But trash talking a board game or group of board games isn't being a Jerk or stalking or harassing a person. Those are completely different things.

You can yell at the top of your lungs for the rest of your life that Tales of Arbain Nights and Monopoly are boring, not real games, overrated, a ban to humanity and not only worthless but make those who play them dumber.

(just trying to record some of the things I've heard on this site about these two games I enjoy)

Someone can say all of this and have both in real life and on this site. And still not be attacking me or being a jerk.

You are allowed to hate inanimate objects they don't care. Monopoly and the people who make it are going to make millions every year no matter what you think.

The people like myself who play the game and enjoy it are still going to play it and enjoy it as much as they always have.

Because, your feeling about an inanimate, object no matter how negative and degrading to that object don't affect me or my enjoyment, or not, of the said object.

You can argue that he could be more sensitive to those that have an issue with people disliking things they like, or who dislike people making universal statements about games they like. But that doesn't make him a jerk or a stalker. Harassing a human being and pursing them when they asked to be left alone is what make someone a jerk or a stalker.

Saying MPS games are boring may be offensive to some that enjoy them. I enjoy them, and I'm not offended. Yes, he could word things better but calling him a jerk and going into harassment and stalking is a bit too far in my opinion.

If you don't like what he is saying or how he is saying it, by all means, call him out on it. Just make sure you don't go too far because then you become the jerk.

I think you need to reread this thread, including (and especially) the things that have been collapsed due to people clicking the red X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
Because if I do accidentally offend someone, I can more easily avoid them online than in real life.

why would you avoid someone you offended accidentally or otherwise? why wouldn't you apologize to them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27376180#27376180

ChadSolloway wrote:

If you perceive me to have been calling any participant in this thread a stalker or harrasser, I would recommend that you re-read what I wrote, because I specifically noted that was not the situation here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
Because if I do accidentally offend someone, I can more easily avoid them online than in real life.

why would you avoid someone you offended accidentally or otherwise? why wouldn't you apologize to them?

Never said I wouldn't apologize. Some people believe things about you and no matter how much you apologize or explain that you didn't intend to offend them they don't let go of the offense. In these cases, it's easier to ignore them online. Whereas in person it can be more difficult.

I have many opinions that are controversial and therefore offensive to some. In real life, I tend to avoid topics I know some can be offended by.
Online in venues where these topics are expected I tend to feel free to talk about them. That being said some still get offended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27376180#27376180

ChadSolloway wrote:

If you perceive me to have been calling any participant in this thread a stalker or harrasser, I would recommend that you re-read what I wrote, because I specifically noted that was not the situation here.

That being said you did go into it. I was speaking about this particular thread. I know there are really creepy people out there that victimize people online. That is completly differant than any topics we were discousing here. That was my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChadSolloway wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

Because it's at least my assumption that in the information quoted he was referring to his personal life.

Personally, I do think there is a difference between the two. Even with my self even though I try to be courteous to others at all times.

I can have more open discussions on like that in real life. Because if I do accidentally offend someone, I can more easily avoid them online than in real life.

Like I said before I, not making an excuse for anyone here. I'm just saing there is a differance.

Let me rephrase, because I'm still a bit confused. It sounds like you believed them to be contrasting their behavior here with their behavior "out there" or in person, but if that's the case I don't understand why you're invested in the idea that a person's behavior online doesn't reflect who they are as a person.

Speaking of which, would you care to address about why a person's behavior online under a mask of anonymity does reflect who they are as a person? I wrote like, a post and a half about it and you're re-asserting otherwise without addressing any of the points I made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:

I think you need to reread this thread, including (and especially) the things that have been collapsed due to people clicking the red X.

Okay, re-read the thread. That where he posted. snore

I would still not call him a jerk. I would say that he is hostile to people he found hostile. Maybe a bit immature and flippant but a Jerk. I don't see that.

He, not even the only one calling name here. The few time he did were in response to others name calling. I'm not saying two wrongs make a right here, but you can't call someone a jerk for attacking a person with name calling after they person did the same thing. Immature maybe. I could have defiantly handled it better, but that doesn't' make him a jerk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
ChadSolloway wrote:
Cosmonaut Zero wrote:

I can have more open discussions online than in real life. Because if I do accidentally offend someone, I can more easily avoid them online than in real life.

Like I said before I, not making an excuse for anyone here. I'm just saying there is a difference.

Let me rephrase, because I'm still a bit confused. It sounds like you believed them to be contrasting their behavior here with their behavior "out there" or in person, but if that's the case I don't understand why you're invested in the idea that a person's behavior online doesn't reflect who they are as a person.

Speaking of which, would you care to address about why a person's behavior online under a mask of anonymity does reflect who they are as a person? I wrote like, a post and a half about it and you're re-asserting otherwise without addressing any of the points I made.

I made a few typo and fixed above if that clarifies anything. What I'm trying to say is that Anonymity does not who you are.

Becuase part of who you are is a public mask of social correctness. When someone can connect our opinions with ourselves like what happens in real life. Society forces us to behave a give way. We all give in to this social pressure differently. It's part of what defines us as who we are. Anominity or the sense of it remove these filters.

Many of us have our own personal filters, our own ideas about what is right and wrong that care on no matter if were Anonymous or not. This tends to grow with maturity.

As far as this thread goes, the OP wasn't very considerate of his audience trashing most of the games on the top 100 as voted by the community he was writing too. This was unwise, but doesn't make him a jerk. Then, as to be expected, several people got offended. These people took his statements personal and therefore respond back personally. Which started a chain cycle of immaturity.

Whereas far as I can tell things never when too far.

He did once mention he knew were somebody lived. (and I could understand why the admins may have taken that threatening) Besides, that I can't say I saw anything be any more inappropriate than the vast majority of users on this site.

Yes, things could have been stated better. But its the internet, and people (mostly immature people) don't care if they intentionally offend people. I have seen much worse, and I think that little things like this are often blown out of proportion. Complaining about this crap make the complaints more numbing when there is actually a real issue such as harassing, stalking or the such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Davies
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I'll agree with you on Terraforming Mars, but I don't find that Scythe is just a puzzle. The Automa AI is a pretty good substitute for another human player, in my opinion. Because of that, I don't think including a single player variant really affected the multiplayer game at all. Overall, it's a trend that I'm a big fan of. My wife isn't much of a gamer and I can't always get a group together, so being able to play games solo really increases their value for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Penguin
United States
Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:

which is irrelevant. I'm not interacting with him in the real world. I'm interacting with him here. And if someone is a jerk here, I'm going to judge them to be a jerk. It's not on me to guess what people might be like away from here. All I have to go on is what I read. I reserve the right to make whatever judgement I want based on what i am presented with.

On a side note: what is so difficult about being polite anyway? why must anyone ever feel the need to call others "thin skinned" or "sensitive" for not wanting to be insulted or provoked. The only people who ever complain about others being "too PC" or "too sensitive" are obnoxious people who are upset that they are being called out for being obnoxious[/q]

You may think I am obnoxious. I certainly am not trying to be such. I'm trying to have a respectful disagreement with you. I certainly believe that people can get offended more than they should. This is an issue because of all of this crying wolf, tend to lead to the real problem not being dealt with.

That is the issue I have. I have nothing against trying to act civil online. In fact, I encourage it. However, there is a large difference between being an immature internet poster and an abusive person.

I believe we should focus out angst toward those that hurt people, and not those that say they hate a whole section of the top 100 games on bbg and than get defensive when people get upset about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.