Subject: Long Hiatus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
After a year long break or so, I finally have Blitzwar back on the table (with a copy of the new map - enlarged to 1400mm x 1000mm). Lots of room for the counters!

I forgot how fragile Western Allies production can be during the first couple years of the war. I wasn't paying enough attention to maintaining British fleet numbers. All was well up the end of 1940 as the British were going toe to toe with the German submarines. Then I got careless and let a season go by without any new fleets appearing while the Germans kept building subs. That broke everything apart. The British soon lost all of their fleets and the blockade crippled the British economy. At the present time, there are no supply units for the British coming in and none in stock. It would be an ideal time for the Germans to attempt the Channel crossing but Barbarossa has already started and it would take too long to try to reposition the units to do the Battle of Britain as the prerequisite for the channel assault. Due to German overproduction of submarines (!!!) over the previous 12 months, as well as playing around in the Balkans a bit longer than expected, there is a shortage of armor and infantry and air on the East Front. The Barbarossa advance is working well in the center but has stalled in the north right away as the Soviet units in the Baltic decided to fight. Four corps of Soviet units in an area can be hard to deal with, especially with a limited supply of planes providing support. Down in Egypt, the Italians took El Alamein but lost so many corps doing it that they can't proceed any further for the moment. That's good news for the British since they don't have supply units and can't move anybody at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice report, Greg, thank you.

Are you playing with the original rules or are you using the updated ones?

I say this because in the updated rules loss Allied of supply due to submarine blockade is limited:
• The maximum Allied loss from Blockade is 5.
• The maximum Allied loss from Blockade and loss of National Strategic Points is 7 in Limited War and 9 in Total War.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Updated rules - and the new map. I made a small error with the British (forgot on one turn that incoming infantry/fleet replacements can take the place of supply units lost to the blockade). I caught it right away but rather than trying to make up for that, I'm going to start over. It's easy enough to do.

I'm trying to figure out the status of Finland if the Soviets attack it first. That wouldn't bring Germany into the war but any supply units that the Finns would want to use to move units (or to attack!!!) have to come from the Axis cards. I'm assuming that this is a special case (although the Soviets could, I suppose, move into Romania preemptively).

If the Western Allies can place an air unit into the Naval Interdiction box at Malta, does that mean that once an air unit is there it cannot be countered? I'm proceeding as if that is the case. The Italians can only counter if the British air unit is moving into the box. Likewise, if the British decide to move the air unit out of the box, that counts as a strategic air move since units in that box do not automatically leave at the start of the Air Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Is Ludic still selling copies of the game? It is impossible to get onto the payment page of the website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Started a new game.

The Germans took Poland on Turn 1, using 7 supply points. The 8th point went to pushing out the sub into the North Atlantic.

The Soviets attacked Finland on Turn 3. After three turns of battle, and a fair number of Soviet reinforcements, the Soviets took Karelia and the Finns retreated back behind the Mannerheim line. The Soviets decided to stop active combat there and left 2 corps of infantry in Karelia.

The Germans took Denmark during the winter - and then headed into Oslo on Turn 6 with two infantry corps. The British countered by pushing an infantry corps and an air unit into Trondheim. German air prevailed and pushed the British out of the country by Turn 8.

The German invasion of Belgium and France went off well and Paris was taken after the second turn of combat. Seeing the good fortune of Germany, the Italians decide, after the Fall of France, to attack Greece to put pressure on the British in the Med. No success for Italy there, though, as the Greeks hold back the attack.

The British invested two air units in the campaign in France, which was not a good idea. Lack of foresight caused the British to not gear up for plane production at a time when it was needed. The Battle of Britain developed with eight German air units vs. four British air units. The Germans prevailed and subsequently pushed over a three corps white armor unit into Plymouth via a beachhead, taking the zone with a combat loss. The British counterattack from London and Birmingham floundered, causing only one German corps loss. The Germans stayed in Plymouth.

This catastrophe prompted the Soviets to immediately declare war against Germany (in 1940!!!) to take advantage of the German armor in France. The Soviets hope to put pressure on the Germans to think twice about sending in too many reinforcements onto the British Isle. Lack of Soviet supply puts a damper on the number of attacks they can make but the Soviets succeed in encircling two German infantry corps in Ostroleka (at least for the moment).

The Germans push forward onto the British isle, plussing up the forces in Plymouth to six armored corps. The Germans have complete control of the Channel while the British Navy flight off German submarines in the North Atlantic.

German forces begin to mass (slowly) against the Soviet attackers in Poland. A German counteroffensive in Poland rescues the encircled German army corps. The Germans, though, are also facing a serious supply shortage as the British strategically bomb the oilfields of Ploesti from Athens (although that British air unit should have been back in London helping to fight the Germans during the invasion!)

Meanwhile, the British send one armor corps to Malta to scare the Italians in thinking that an invasion could take place on the African coast behind Tobruk at some point in the future (if Britain doesn't fall beforehand). The Italians counter by shifting some forces. Gibraltar, unfortunately, is out of supply due to the loss of Plymouth and the British inability to make a supply line through the Med.

The Soviets pull out of Danzig to shore up the defensive lines and choose points of attack where the Germans are weakest (Ostroleva). There is little gain however as the German defenders hold. Until the Germans get their Total War production up and going, it will be a war of attrition in the East. The Soviets have to wait until Spring 1942 to get their Total War production up and running. Can they hold out for a year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.