Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies - Pete Axis - Dan Berger

Played the Campaign scenario. We played with the Optional Rule where we chose a card at the start of '44 (but not '45 I'll mention why later). I started with Husky. My plan was to go for the Destruction of Infrastructure. Every turn I committed at least 1 SAC to Infrastructure and played every event card with infrastructure on it. This strategy put me behind schedule. Also I made the mistake of not leaving any Corps in the North African Box. This left me unable to do other invasions to open up the Italian underbelly. I did not take Rome until Autumn '44 which barely saved me from the Auto Victory loss. I got stuffed by Wittman and Jet Fighters in my initial Overlord landings. Uggh. I conceded in Winter '45 after I did not even take Paris yet and infrastructure was still at 9 (!) and VP was at 16. Yes that bad.

We did not allow choosing a card in '45 draw deck because It was too easy for Axis win. They would take Hitler Dies and just wait until Donitz showed up. But in the end I was so far behind it did not matter.

The harder learning curve to play well is on the Allied side. The Axis mostly just reacts with the cards they have that season so it's a easier on the newb.

Game time with set up ~6hrs.

My lesson here is reducing RP's and/or reduced Axis hand-size is more effective use of SAC than all out infrastructure. In the long run ther reduced RP's are probably better than the turn or two left after the Infrastructure falls.

Another lesson is to mix Brit and American units, especially in Italy, so you can use both TAC air in the same attack.

Also if you can find a way to pulled out Severe Weather, Wittman, and Jet Fighters before committing SAC to wasted carpet bombing mission, do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cavallari
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Roundup to be the more difficult path than Husky. I think it's always riskier. With my horrendous skill with dice rolling, I always use SAC for combat support, at least until I've taken Rome. It's a slow crawl through Italy without it. It's such a narrow front. Great game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think focusing on infrastructure collapse is not the best Allied strategy compared to reducing replacements or hand size. You also reduce infrastructure by capturing objectives, so taking territory helps you anyway. Plus no matter how hard you try, you won't force infrastructure collapse until the last few turns, when you'd better have the Germans on the ropes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Included in these Fun City AARs is a three part session where I broke the German infrastructure, giving me a gigantic advantage on the last couple turns: The beginning, the continuation, the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Peter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
Our follow-up game of Festung Europa: The Campaign for Western Europe, 1943-1945 where we switched sides.

Pete - Axis, Dan Berger - Allies

Dan Played Husky. He made decent progress, taking Rome Winter '44. I did not get the Arno line card so had to fall back to the Arno line in the face of Diadem. In the meantime he played two more invasions, the one in Corsica and the one by Marseilles. He took the Corsica VP but never Marseilles. Overlord came out in Spr '44. Landed in the usual spot. In the meantime I did not get the forts steps in France, Belgium Netherlands, and worse I never got Speer! Speer is the key for several important RP's and Panzer Armies. Enemy at the Gates closed all the Eastern VP from Allies. I had moved out all units before that so none were lost. By turn 8 I could see I had a chance of holding out even without the Panzer Armies. In the end I did a lot of falling back. Montgomery card is very strong. As Axis you have to look out for that one. Move back when Allies get it. I got pinned in Ruhr by mech ZOC. That cost me. U-boats got me 2 VPs in the game. That was important. Two turns Coalition Strife showed up for me, without Eisenhower. This slowed down the Allied Steamroller. I made a mistake of leaving Trieste uncovered which would have cost me the game if Dan had rolled a 5 or 6 vs. Hamburg on the last card of the game! He had advanced just outside of TAC air range. I won by holding 2VPs. One more card and Dan would have won.

Axis Victory with +2VPs. 10 turns in 5 hrs.

Dan played only 2 Carpet Bombings in the game and one was stopped by Jet Interceptors. He did combos of Oil and Industry, which were effective. Putting two TAC air's into an attack are almost as good as the Carpet Bomb.

Lesson. Need Speer more than need Fort builds. (but I didn't get either!) If Speer doesn't fall to you in '43. Take it as the Picked Card in '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good lessons there for any Festung Europa player. Thanks again for the AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.