Popular Tags: [View All]
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many of you, I have an addiction. I like learning, playing, and collecting new board games. I may have favorites, but I'd play something new over something I love 9 out of 10 times. My lady friend is maybe even worse than me.

We go to conventions, we go to our local game shop open gaming days, we go to friends' homes who have games we don't have - all jonesing for new experiences. As if there's some "perfect" game that exists and we just haven't found it yet so we have to keep playing them until we do.

Nothing wrong with that! But...

Something changed. We are now reversing course. We've been getting rid of lots of games. Lots and lots. And buying very few new games. We've gone from probably 5-10 new games a month to 1 or 2, and almost all of those are pre-orders that we'd already paid for.

This isn't to say we're giving up board games - far from it! - but I think we finally exhausted ourselves on having to learn new rules, punch card board, teach people games. All while watching hundreds of games on our shelves go unplayed. It isn't that we play less (or more), we just are enjoying more of what we already own and feeling less like we're missing out if we aren't buying the hot new thing.

I think a few things lead to this:
Kids - I have a son who lives in another state and the first time he came to stay (he's 16 months) made me realize how challenging it is to have massive bookshelves full of choke-able toys in easy to open boxes. Can't wait till he can play games, but in the early stages, it's challenging. And with another kid on the way it's like... how the hell do we keep them from choking on our hobby?

Space - We moved into a very spacious home... that has a LOT of windows. We gained square footage over our old place, but we lost a ton of bookshelf space because of all the windows. We can't add more shelving without awkwardly covering up the windows.

Legacy games - We do 10x10 gaming challenges so that we play our old games more often, but it's the rise of Legacy games that really hurt our desire for new. When we're playing Pandemic Legacy, for example, that's our entire focus with our friends for several weeks. New games? Hell no, we want to finish that campaign! And then there's season 2. And Charterstone. And Gloomhaven. And on, and on. It doesn't devalue non-Legacy titles, but it means we can't just buy and buy and buy games we will never have a chance to play even once.

Burned too often - I read reviews, I do research, and when I can, I play games before I buy. Still, we just run into too many purchases that are good enough once or twice but not great enough that they should take up space in our home or be played over other games.

Anyway, that is my random explosion of typing for the day.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen?
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:

I think nearly everyone will at some point.

Congrats on your steps toward having more money to spend elsewhere.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Veero wrote, most gamers get to this point.

For me, it was the realization that I had games that just didn't get played, and too may that were very similar. So now, something has to really grab my interest if I'm going to buy it, and I go through my whole collection every few months and sell games that aren't being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'm at the stage where I want to get rid of a lot of my mediocre games and only buy really good ones. I never got too caught up into the cult of the new, but my buying has lessened of late- contributing factors being we're parents of a toddler, new baby on the way, moving, learning new rules gets exhausting, and why waste time on okay games when I have great games I can play?

Like you, I still buy new games and I still play new games and enjoy them, I've just mellowed and settled... I think most gamers do eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm surprised that this takes so long for others on here to report this happening to them. My goal is to have a collection composed only of the games which I am most excited about, and by the time my collection had grown to a few dozen, there were already games for which it was clear to me that I preferred just about anything else on my shelf. So those games got cut.

I really started getting "into the hobby" about 1.5 years ago, and my collection currently stands at 79 games with 69 previously owned. There are maybe another 5-10 of those 79 likely to get cut from my current collection in the near future. I haven't gotten out of the "collecting" phase per se, there are still hundreds of game I'm actively looking to try, but I imagine that most of them won't end up as permanent fixtures. I hope that within another couple years my collection will still be somewhere around 100 games, but every one of which I am positively pumped to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Yep, I'm at the stage where I want to get rid of a lot of my mediocre games and only buy really good ones. I never got too caught up into the cult of the new, but my buying has lessened of late- contributing factors being we're parents of a toddler, new baby on the way, moving, learning new rules gets exhausting, and why waste time on okay games when I have great games I can play?

Like you, I still buy new games and I still play new games and enjoy them, I've just mellowed and settled... I think most gamers do eventually.

It only took my 20 years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
Legacy games

I'm not sure how I feel about Legacy games and their impact on the market.

Isn't it ironic (or strange or confusing?) that it takes a Legacy Game, which is a game that forces you to play it multiple times to "complete" the narrative, ends up getting so many more plays and attention than other strategy games, which are designed to have greater depths to explore and uncover on their own merits?

How many amazing games in people's collections aren't getting played a second time (let alone 5, 10, or 20+ times) because they don't rely on a gimmick to lure people back in by pulling on their completion-ist heart strings.

I think the OP's point shows a fundamental difference in how people engage in the hobby. Many are breadth players - and play as many different games as they can. Others are depth players - preferring to focus more on a smaller selection of games that get played many many times.

It seems there is often a progression of sorts. Newer players tend to be breadth players - buying and playing tons of new games constantly. Maybe it's just wanting to try out all this new stuff. Or maybe it is a sense of wanting to keep up with the latest hype/hotness (tip - that never goes away) and stay a part of the hot conversation.

At some point, something happens (no shelf space! no money! no time! what have I done?!) to trigger a shift, and the churn cycle slows down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
...learning new rules gets exhausting, and why waste time on okay games when I have great games I can play?

For me this was really it. I still have too many games that I should sell off, but at some point it's like ... "Okay I have 15 different dudes on a map games, maybe they are all great and interesting, but when it comes down to it, I'm going to reach for the same 1 or 2 everytime."

As said - at a certain point there just isn't enough novelty in most new games to justify my purchase given the cost of learning new rules, teaching it to new players, money, taking up shelf space, and everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
they don't rely on a gimmick to lure people back in by pulling on their completion-ist heart strings.

This is a hugely biased assumption about Legacy games. I play them because I enjoy the continuity of story, not because I feel like I "have to". I played Lanterns 10 times because I felt like I "had to".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually buy cold games.

Pete (usually gets them after y'all quit on them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
I play them because I enjoy the continuity of story, not because I feel like I "have to".

Yes, naturally you played it because you enjoyed it If you enjoyed reading a certain book you wouldn't stop reading partway through just because - you'd want to finish it.

Anyway, that's what I was trying to convey about them - that (assuming you like them) you're compelled to play them a whole bunch because you want to see the end of the story line. I'm merely pointing out that it seems like this "wanting to see the end of the story" is often a more effective way at roping people into many repeat plays of games compared to the prospect of playing the same game over and over merely to refine your strategy (or whatever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
I play them because I enjoy the continuity of story, not because I feel like I "have to".

Yes, naturally you played it because you enjoyed it If you enjoyed reading a certain book you wouldn't stop reading partway through just because - you'd want to finish it.

Anyway, that's what I was trying to convey about them - that (assuming you like them) you're compelled to play them a whole bunch because you want to see the end of the story line. I'm merely pointing out that it seems like this "wanting to see the end of the story" is often a more effective way at roping people into many repeat plays of games compared to the prospect of playing the same game over and over merely to refine your strategy (or whatever).

I see that in my family and certainly in myself...I've been trending more towards games that "tell a story" rather than just games you can play over and over. Both my son and I love the development of a storyline from a game.

That said, I still like a number of my standard Euros
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, same here, I really don't see a need for more than 100 games or so (a game a day for 3 months!), if one can stick to that number!

edit: don't look at my collection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I still love games and acquiring new ones. However, that point made above where I have X games I love and WANT to play is what stuck for me. I'm fortunate that I have the opportunity to play weekly and our group rotates who gets to pick the main game and then another picks the 2nd for the evening. Even with that, it would take a long time before I would get through the games I love...so even if I bought more games I love...why just make a bigger pile?

That feeling is what slowed me down. But it has to be a decision from the gut rather than a false agreement based on false restrictions that you think are wise. That comes in time. I've learned a lot in my time in this hobby. I'm finally at the point where I don't try to learn about every game that comes out because I don't want to miss out. I got enough that I love and have accepted the fact that a game will be out there that I completely love and I'm probably going to miss it. And that's really OK.

Plus I think there is a joy from repeated plays with a favorite rather than a new gaming experience. My group has played Chaos in the Old World several times now and I enjoy it more each time because we can actually compete. The learning game is often riddled with rules errors and learning new strategies. I love that, but if I'm just constantly playing new games, I get a bit frazzled after awhile. I am a competitive person and love to compete on an even playing field. One that you can't get on a first time play.

All that rambling to say : grow honestly in the hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it's only natural. The more years you play, the more you refine exactly what games (and types of games) you enjoy most. I only have around 35 games now, but I could happily keep playing only them without ever buying another game. Oh, I'll still occasionally buy one, but I don't feel a need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dunn
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a glut of games as well, but I have worked on downsizing by mainly selling, trading, or gifting ones I do not play. The main goal with trading is to get rid of a bunch of good to very good games for one truly great game. I still have a lot of games, but I think most of my collection is 100 games, plus all their expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I slowed way down on buying new games out of necessity. Ongoing vet bills wiped out the discretionary budget and even though the bills have finally stopped and money is becoming more available again, I find now that I've broken the habit I feel less compelled to purchase pretty much every interesting game I run across.

Now I'm more focused on playing games than buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there are just too many now that it's rather paralyzing. I think I'd start selling them now, but I feel like it's too big of a hassle and it'd be denying my kids the chance to play them when they get to an appropriate age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Mezmorki wrote:
Isn't it ironic (or strange or confusing?) that it takes a Legacy Game, which is a game that forces you to play it multiple times to "complete" the narrative, ends up getting so many more plays and attention than other strategy games, which are designed to have greater depths to explore and uncover on their own merits?

Although your way of phrasing it is new to me, I conclude that it's really not that surprising... in hindsight. Gamers tend to value artifically complex, boxed-in ensembles over simple, open-ended ones. It probably comes with a feeling of achievement or mastery in that you know how a game ticks. With open-ended games... that's much more difficult to establish as you can only tell for certain by playing against other people. Have you seen everything there is now, or is there still more to uncover but are you lacking sufficiently skilled players to do that?

In a way legacy titles give you a combination of both. The game is open-ended in that it develops in fairly unique ways. But at the same time there is a definitive end to the proceedings at which the support stops. There is nothing more to discover beyond exploring the depths of the variant game you have created. I honestly doubt many people do so: they've already had a few dozen games, so why bother to play more given the uncertainty of the outcome?

I've also come to realise that it is genuinely hard to remain enthusiastic about a title after having played it for a few dozen times. Motivation to continue playing depends on rather different things than one would assume at the beginning of the series. Speaking from my own experience: based on a 15×10 challenge I'm currently engaged in I know I'll be genuinely 'done' with some titles even though there are ever finer points to be mastered. Legacy offers a game which keeps you in a blissful state of discovery and freshness... and then simply ends at a certain moment in time. If you want you can even toss the game because it's quite unlikely you'll open up the box again. The fun was in getting to the end; it's not in stretching the end beyond what was envisaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
burn out is super inevitable I think. Especially if you get to a point where you see the patterns. Its sort of like reading comic books and burning out because you see the same tropes and same death-rebirth cycle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Hilaryg wrote:

Save for the True Collectors (of which there are but a handful) everyone will run into this issue at some point. Shelf space, finances, playing opportunity, playing partners, ... it all contributes.

In my case it was a combination of a feeling of 'sameness' in games, then realising that you really don't want to bother with lots of small things which are supposed to make all the difference. The real clinger came when I played (nearly) all games in my collection (see here for a report) and realised that most of what comes out these days is a) crud and b) competitor for what I already own. It's gotten to the point where I can look at the Spiel-preview containing just over 1000 titles in a day, and still come up with a reasonable selection of titles to try in Essen.

The trick is also in no longer caring to stay up to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I'm starting to get there... My CSI Wish List is down to 2 pages now, and the majority of those are expansions. I do still splurge a little occasionally but even those binges are getting fewer and farther between. Significantly decreasing what I do on KS has really helped too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
No! No! No! They're my games and I'm keeping them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fairly easier to hit a saturation point, where you have enough good games to play in every situation and adding more just adds more choices, not necessarily variety or options (Figuratively speaking).

Between storage space, great variety for all situations and fixed time to play, it gets harder and harder to justify a new purchase these days. I'm at the point now, where I'll have to start culling to let a new game enter the collection (almost...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Mezmorki wrote:
I think the OP's point shows a fundamental difference in how people engage in the hobby. Many are breadth players - and play as many different games as they can. Others are depth players - preferring to focus more on a smaller selection of games that get played many many times.

It seems there is often a progression of sorts. Newer players tend to be breadth players - buying and playing tons of new games constantly. ...

At some point, something happens (no shelf space! no money! no time! what have I done?!) to trigger a shift, and the churn cycle slows down.

I resemble this remark.
I'm fully in the depth stage and so far this year have released about 40% of my game collection.
The games I'm keeping are the LOVE games. I'd always pick these over the others, so why keep the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.