Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fh13 wrote:
I'm starting to get there... My CSI Wish List is down to 2 pages now, and the majority of those are expansions. I do still splurge a little occasionally but even those binges are getting fewer and farther between. Significantly decreasing what I do on KS has really helped too.

I was where you are, but there is hope. My CSI wishlist is now down to 2 games. Weaning myself off LCG’s helped a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an Ameritrasher, I'm getting tired of learning new rules for new games -- that aren't all that much better than other games I own. Too many AT games are dice-chuckers, and this mechanic has become quite samey, particularly since it's used in boardgames, miniatures games, *and* roleplaying games. While KS has been great for buying miniatures in bulk at discounted rates, I can't paint *that* many miniatures, and I'm not backing several KS which were great buys for bulk miniatures, but whose miniatures I may already have something similar to, or was only somewhat interested in the genre (eg. 15mm, and body horror). Also, with painting, the results are more tangible than boardgames, with proof that I'm a better painter, and neat little man dollies around the house in color. Also, even now that I'm gaming once a week, since AT games can last hours, that still means I'm only playing two or so games per week. It's also not helping that I'm getting these awesome KS miniature games, but filling up the third room in the house!

Still, my friends and I *finally* played the PACG, and I let them know of a way to play the campaign yet allow players to be swapped in and out. We'll see how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1-2 new games a month?

I've dropped to 1-2 new games a year.

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I don't think I'm acquiring more than 5 or so per year, mostly as Christmas or birthday presents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
Glebe
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fascinating that there is a subtle weave through the above posts of "I have the best of that genre so why fill up on imitators?" If you have what you might consider the best dudes on a map game for example, why pick up more games that try to repeat the experience? People will dissent here, but this post grew out of questioning a growing collection, of increased time constraints and the disinterest in learning new rulesets, so taking that into account if you were to limit your collection to the best in genre, how would that look? What's the best dungeon crawler? the best dudes on a map? the best RPG boardgame? the best horror? My kids (3 of them all under 10 years)think Runebound 2nd Edition is the best of it's class. They are not impressed by Descent or Gloomhaven. They are young kids and their taste will change, by what about adults? My go to dungeon crawl are the D&D boardgames, Castle Ravenloft etc. Given space, time and patience pressures, is one perfect and unique snowflake game in a gaming genre enough? is it even possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this "problem" has an easy solution: be poor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen?

Nope. I've always valued playing games I already know over learning new games. I get new games a lot, and I play them a lot, and I don't want to learn others.
I've started several campaign games (not legacy) and even though I want to make progress, I still play my non-campaign games as much as before.

Notice how I only use I and not we? Solo's wonderful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more you play, the more you know and the pickier you become. You start seeing the same patterns and mechanisms and start asking yourself "Why should I buy this game when I already have that other, similar thing that I don't play enough to begin with?" At least, that's how it went for me. I'm down to under 5 new games a year, expansions already included.

Also, when I started to dive deep into boardgaming, I always wanted to play the hotness, the high-ranked games, because I suffered from the Fear Of Missing Out (FOMO). I suspected that somewhere, there was this one game that was the perfect match for me, and I was afraid of not discovering it. Eventually, that feeling went away, partly because I realized there are too many games to play them all anyway, and partly because I found games that I feel were designed just for me.

The "breadth vs. depth" debate is very true. One person in my game group has close to 1000 games and still buys a couple of new ones every month. It's very rare for him to play a medium-heavy game more than 5 times. I'd rather play my favourites over and over in order to discover all they have to offer. So when I play a new game, I ask myself if this is a game I could play at least 10 times and still enjoy it, and if the answer to that is "no", I'm not getting that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Kooheji
msg tools
mbmb
I went through a stage when I was buying EVERYTHING, if I played a game and thought it was okay, I'd buy it. Now I've got three Kallax full and several overflow piles and loads of those games got played once and never again, partially because although my fiancee and I have an overlapping taste in games, there are games she likes to play less and there are games I like to play less. So we just play the games in the sweet spot.

I'm a hoarder though and you can take TI3 from my cold dead hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
ohmz wrote:

Can I interest you in Twilight Imperium: Fourth Edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohmz wrote:

when's the funeral?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mezmorki wrote:
It seems there is often a progression of sorts. Newer players tend to be breadth players - buying and playing tons of new games constantly. Maybe it's just wanting to try out all this new stuff. Or maybe it is a sense of wanting to keep up with the latest hype/hotness (tip - that never goes away) and stay a part of the hot conversation.

At some point, something happens (no shelf space! no money! no time! what have I done?!) to trigger a shift, and the churn cycle slows down.

I think the most obvious trigger is that people often start out only knowing that they like playing this new type of game that they recently discovered (Euro, AT, Train, whatever) and then want to try everything they can possibly get their hands on.

At some point, people begin to learn about their own preferences. Mechanics they really like. Game types they very rarely enjoy. From there, it isn't a stretch for them to start honing in on what they actually like. At this point, it is easier to be more selective in what new hype you even take a passing interest in, so fewer games can even get onto the potential acquisition list. A shorter potential list means fewer things get purchased overall, and the whole cycle slows down a bit.

This is a gross generalization, and it assumes some things that people are naturally going to be up against in other circumstances, namely:
1) Lack of money
2) Lack of space
3) Active opposition from SO beyond a certain point

I do think there is a natural tendency for things to slow regardless though, because with enough experience certain mechanics and games do begin to get samey, and the hurdle that a game has to cross to be novel, interesting, or worthwhile gets higher as you gain a greater understanding of what has come before.

On the side topic of Legacy games, I think they successfully excite players because they are essentially a game with a load of secret expansions already included. In essence, you are buying many games with that one box purchase and the replay is encouraged by the excitement of finding out what is going to come next.

In most regards, I don't consider them fundamentally different from games like Arkham Horror: The Card Game, which is just a series of mini-expansions that provide new narrative and a few new cards; or even more traditional games like Age of Steam that have dozens of different maps and variations that interested players can purchase and enjoy. Most of my most heavily played modern games have some sort of expansion or change model to keep them interesting from play to play. There are some that buck this trend (*cough* Die Macher), but having more content to explore within that game "universe" certainly makes it more appealing to keep coming back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Cuppiburra wrote:
Fascinating that there is a subtle weave through the above posts of "I have the best of that genre so why fill up on imitators?" If you have what you might consider the best dudes on a map game for example, why pick up more games that try to repeat the experience? People will dissent here, but this post grew out of questioning a growing collection, of increased time constraints and the disinterest in learning new rulesets, so taking that into account if you were to limit your collection to the best in genre, how would that look? What's the best dungeon crawler? the best dudes on a map? the best RPG boardgame? the best horror? My kids (3 of them all under 10 years)think Runebound 2nd Edition is the best of it's class. They are not impressed by Descent or Gloomhaven. They are young kids and their taste will change, by what about adults? My go to dungeon crawl are the D&D boardgames, Castle Ravenloft etc. Given space, time and patience pressures, is one perfect and unique snowflake game in a gaming genre enough? is it even possible?

I actually think it's been better (maybe just for me) to NOT think about games as being in a "genre" or "classes" and just think "what are my favorite games?" In other words, which games am I most likely to pull off the shelf? Among the survivors from the recent big cull there probably are more than one from a genre, and some genres that I previously had games in probably aren't represented at all. I say "probably" because I don't pretend to fully understand the distinctions between many of the genres people talk about on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Norris
United States
Brownsburg
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy maybe 5 or so games a year.
Don't get me wrong, I do reviews, so I do get a fair share of them sent to me for filming.
However, seeing how a lot of games are feeling "samey" as of late, I don't see myself breaking my spending habits anytime soon.
With or without doing reviews.
Very good thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Owens
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the puzzle of figuring out a new game through that first play or two. I also like twists on mechanisms, or even a better theme of a similar game I have. And like many of you it has resulted in 4 kallex shelves full, built in cupboards full and games stacked on the floor.

I have identified my problem as having a hard time getting rid of the games that I like well enough but won't likely get played, because I can imagine the situation when I will need that particular game with that theme etc.

I have changed Edward Newton's quote from books to fit our hobby here:
"Even when playing is impossible, the presence of games acquired produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more games than one can play is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity. We cherish games even if unplayed, their mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access reassurance."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novelty is revealed by our preferences and habits as the trait most highly valued.

CortexBomb wrote:
This is a gross generalization, and it assumes some things that people are naturally going to be up against in other circumstances, namely:
1) Lack of money
2) Lack of space
3) Active opposition from SO beyond a certain point
(emphasis mine)

I know for myself, I have to be mature enough to not force my SO to be an external constraint for what should be a sensible internal one. The one-in, one-out rule helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone whose previously owned count is about 1,100, and whose current collection size is a mere 76 (with, admittedly, 4 more preorders coming in over the next six months), I can relate to the OP.

My basic rule of acquisition is now this: If I buy a game and really love it, it stays ... but has to push something else out. But that's a tall order ... it takes a lot to impress me these days. Recent examples: Transatlantic, Clans of Concordia, and Import/Export pushed about 10 titles out. I'll play at least two of these three titles for years (CoC not sure is a long-term keeper), ahead of any middling titles I had on the shelves.

I rely on others to buy all the new stuff, and then play those when offered to see what they are like. I usually want to play my favourites over 99% of the new stuff that gets released, but I'm old and cranky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:

The games I'm keeping are the LOVE games. I'd always pick these over the others, so why keep the others?

I have been looking at my collection through a similar lense... Additionally I find the time aspect - there are so many other things happening - that when I do finally sit down to play a game, which will I pick? If I feel that one game simply won't get picked over another/others, then it is time to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
The Day We Stopped Buying Every Hot Game Ever Made

With only a limited number of opportunities for games to hit the table, my wife and I realized that adding more to our already crowded shelves was not helping the situation.

Thus, rather than buy up every title that seems interesting; we've completely halted acquiring anything new.

Sometimes it's hard not to land on every new thing that comes out but this is giving us time to enjoy the plethora of existing titles we already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dandelion
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
Dandelion, Dandelion
badge
and more Dandelion
mb
I was buying a lot of games for about a decade--even though I've been gaming for about 40 years, it was only from 2002 to 2012 that I went crazy. I guess that coincides with the explosion of euros.

Before that I was only playing one game at a time, really. Chess, or Go, or M:tG. Since 2012, my 'previously owned' number has grown to 551. I currently (and hopefully always) have 'only' 100 owned, and am quite content with that. I swap in a few games a year, usually ones that break into the top 100 here and look interesting to me (yep, too lazy to even consider looking at new games unless y'all tell me they're amazing). So, I've picked up the Pandemic legacies and Glomhaven and a few hot wargames like Time of Crisis.

I'm pretty happy.

edit: yeah, like you: kids, moving, and narrowing of tastes all conspired to make this possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

Thanks for this post.

While I don't like to think I've hit that 'no more games' plateau just yet, I HAVE had to rein in my enthusiasm for supporting Kickstarter projects - so much so that I've got something like 5 or 6 new games heading my way between now and next Summer, already, and that doesn't include some of the 'shiny and new' stuff I'd really like to get hold of over the next few months.

I did go through a stage of grabbing one-offs and the odd bargain, but I've reined that impulse in now, too. I am a bit more picky nowadays, but nonetheless still find myself unconciously attracted to 'the new'...

It'll all come out in the wash, as mama used to say... lol

Alex - ManGo's Gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Oddo
Denmark
flag msg tools
mangozine wrote:

Thanks for this post.

While I don't like to think I've hit that 'no more games' plateau just yet, I HAVE had to rein in my enthusiasm for supporting Kickstarter projects - so much so that I've got something like 5 or 6 new games heading my way between now and next Summer, already, and that doesn't include some of the 'shiny and new' stuff I'd really like to get hold of over the next few months.

I did go through a stage of grabbing one-offs and the odd bargain, but I've reined that impulse in now, too. I am a bit more picky nowadays, but nonetheless still find myself unconciously attracted to 'the new'...

It'll all come out in the wash, as mama used to say... lol

Alex - ManGo's Gaming

I'm on the same page. Kickstarter is somewhat addictive as you feel like you're getting the cutting edge of boardgaming. The boardgames of the future!

Thing is, then you realise how sloppy it all is. Now I think twice and only back those games that 1) I know will get some playtime due to theme/mechanic and 2) add something interesting to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cloutier
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I'm on the leading edge of this situation. I had been unaware of much beyond HABA for years as my kids grew up. Now they're in their teens and big into gaming and I'm going a bit crazy. Just a bit though. In the past 3 years I've gone from about 9 games (like clue and monopoly) to 45 games.

Similarly, I've recently (since May) stumbled on the HUGE board game kickstarter world and have gone a bit nuts. I've backed 10 games this year and received two so far. I think I've been smart but it will probably take one of them going really badly for me to come out of it.

My problem is finding people and time to play with. My kids and I play as much as possible, but it's not enough for my tastes. Most of my friends are not as interested as I am. They'd play occasionally, but would never commit to regular weekly sessions. So I try to be very picky about the games I buy since I can't play them as often. I have a couple expansions for games that have never been used because I haven't played the vanilla game enough...

Someday I'll reach the point where I'm done and need to purge... maybe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting close, but I'm not there yet. Maybe next year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say another recent factor is we have some friends we are introducing to board games. And so we are spending more time on some of the standards and less time discovering new (and usually more complex) games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theckno Decker
Canada
flag msg tools
joe_salamone wrote:
No! No! No! They're my games and I'm keeping them!

Well unless they are terrible... and then maybe if they are not classic (monopoly, risk, poleconomy, ...)

But space for me is not really the problem it's a solution for my other hobby: cabinet making!

Custum or modified cabinets can help you put stuff everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.