Recommend
56 
 Thumb up
 Hide
89 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The Day We Stopped Buying Every Hot Game Ever Made rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theckno Decker
Canada
flag msg tools
Hilaryg wrote:

Kids - I have a son who lives in another state and the first time he came to stay (he's 16 months) made me realize how challenging it is to have massive bookshelves full of choke-able toys in easy to open boxes. Can't wait till he can play games, but in the early stages, it's challenging. And with another kid on the way it's like... how the hell do we keep them from choking on our hobby?



Ikea sells door separately that can easily cover most shelving system...
For you it would be a great way to safeguard your child

(sarcasm)I dont have kids so it is a great way for me not to have baby saliva over my precious games. (sarcasm)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
We go to conventions, we go to our local game shop open gaming days, we go to friends' homes who have games we don't have - all jonesing for new experiences. As if there's some "perfect" game that exists and we just haven't found it yet so we have to keep playing them until we do.
I try new games not because I'd be interested in buying them. I try new games because I want to play games. Period.

In fact, I pay hundreds of dollars to go to cons vs. using that money to buy games since the bottleneck for me is having the opportunities to play them.


Hilaryg wrote:
Space - We moved into a very spacious home... that has a LOT of windows. We gained square footage over our old place, but we lost a ton of bookshelf space because of all the windows. We can't add more shelving without awkwardly covering up the windows.

That is QUITE the trap with large homes! You have the space, so you fill it to the brim with stuff! Fairly good chance you'll move to a smaller house at some point.

When my parents moved from a large house to one that's only half the size, a lot of stuff needed to be thrown out/sold. That ate up a whole summer right there shake

TOO MUCH JUNK IN YOUR HOUSE!


Hilaryg wrote:
Legacy games - We do 10x10 gaming challenges so that we play our old games more often, but it's the rise of Legacy games that really hurt our desire for new. When we're playing Pandemic Legacy, for example, that's our entire focus with our friends for several weeks. New games? Hell no, we want to finish that campaign! And then there's season 2. And Charterstone. And Gloomhaven. And on, and on. It doesn't devalue non-Legacy titles, but it means we can't just buy and buy and buy games we will never have a chance to play even once.
Do you count each "sit down" of a Legacy game as one play, or finishing the whole season as one game? If it were me, I wouldn't mind counting it as the former, or playing through the whole ordeal as 10 automatic plays right there.



Hilaryg wrote:
Anyway, that is my random explosion of typing for the day.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen?
Ditto. As mentioned above, I go to cons to squeeze in more game time. Folks have suggested Meetups and stuff, but I'm in too sparse of a place for that.

Having money saved is ALWAYS a good thing... for retirement, kids, unexpected expenses, expected ones (e.g. I'll need to buy a new car within a few years yuk ), or that's money that can be diverted into other forms of entertainment (like going to cons and paying for hotel rooms), and other experiences (I spent $30 on a steak dinner one time. Yes, that's the price of 1 game, or half a 'heavier' game. But the game is worthless since chances are, I can't get it played, or played enough times).




EDIT: I wrote a blog entry about too many possessions!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
In my case my collection is a lot smaller and my buying rate is quite small too.

When we where buying too many games we where getting 1 a month, right now we have like 30 boxes (including some exapnsions), and we are already facing problems ans stoped buying games...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Do you count each "sit down" of a Legacy game as one play, or finishing the whole season as one game? If it were me, I wouldn't mind counting it as the former, or playing through the whole ordeal as 10 automatic plays right there.

We count each one as a play. Pandemic Legacy is a good example. One session is about the same time as playing a normal game of Pandemic. I wouldn't group a bunch of Pandemic players into just one play, so why group 12-15 Legacy plays into just one play?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've slowed down a lot in my purchases as well. However, fool that I am, I've been buying BIGGER games (such as Conan with extras; Mythic Battles: Pantheon with extras)... It's like my gaming budget is resisting the reduction!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
We can't add more shelving without awkwardly covering up the windows.

Pfft.. Who wants sunlight? Everybody knows sunshine is just a gateway to *Shudder* Outdoor activities. I hear that outdoor games don't even have dice and usually involve flapping your legs around to move from one spot to another.yuk
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered board games about 16 months ago and really fell in love with the hobby. Having a slightly addictive personality (let's not talk about my comic book collection, okay?) I listened to a lot of podcasts and watched a lot of videos. I ended up buying quite a few games over the first year, probably around 60 or so. Now, this is a pretty good mixture of big box games (Forbidden Stars, Cry Havoc, Blood Rage) and much smaller, card games (Oh My Goods, Harbour, Tiny Epic Galaxies). I have a group that I meet with every Tuesday at a local cafe for a few hours of games and have made some friends from that group that I meet with maybe once a week to play as well.

The problem I came across recently is that I was constantly playing new games and not getting to play any of the games I love more than once or twice. I enjoy learning new games, but I also really want to get to know Blood Rage better. I need to have a few more plays of Forbidden Stars to feel like I really have a handle on the strategy of that one (and to justify the price).

So I have completely stopped buying games. In fact I've sold about 20 of them at a FLGS auction recently. And I'm happy with this decision. It's hard sometimes, especially this time of year with all the new Gencon and Essen games around, but when I'm tempted to get something new I just ask myself "How many times will I really play this?" And the fact of the matter is, I'll probably only play most games once or twice. Does that justify the $30-$60 I would pay for it? Maybe for some people (and I swear I'm not judging you) but not for me.

Now, I am lucky because I still have friends who buy a lot of games, so I do have access to a lot of new games. But it's nice to know that when I host a game night I'll be playing something I'm familiar with.

PS I am a little bit of a hypocrite, BTW, because I did just but a copy of Pandemic Legacy Season 2. I consider that different, because I know for a fact I will be getting at least 12 plays of that in and I have partners that I know will see me through to the end of the game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Do you count each "sit down" of a Legacy game as one play, or finishing the whole season as one game? If it were me, I wouldn't mind counting it as the former, or playing through the whole ordeal as 10 automatic plays right there.

We count each one as a play. Pandemic Legacy is a good example. One session is about the same time as playing a normal game of Pandemic. I wouldn't group a bunch of Pandemic players into just one play, so why group 12-15 Legacy plays into just one play?


I haven't played any legacy games, but I figured that playing through ALL sessions as necessary was "part of the game". Do the rules or otherwise say you can stop after 2, 5 or 10 plays? Well short of whatever the objective's supposed to be?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
Hilaryg wrote:

I'm curious if anyone else has had this happen?


Yeah, I'm in a similar position the last couple of years.
I'm not getting rid of any games I already own, but new purchases have definitely fallen off recently - mostly because of the kids thing, TBH.

We have a 10 month old daughter who's all over the place, and we don't want her choking on little cardboard bits.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuppiburra wrote:
Fascinating that there is a subtle weave through the above posts of "I have the best of that genre so why fill up on imitators?" If you have what you might consider the best dudes on a map game for example, why pick up more games that try to repeat the experience? People will dissent here, but this post grew out of questioning a growing collection, of increased time constraints and the disinterest in learning new rulesets, so taking that into account if you were to limit your collection to the best in genre, how would that look? What's the best dungeon crawler? the best dudes on a map? the best RPG boardgame? the best horror? My kids (3 of them all under 10 years)think Runebound 2nd Edition is the best of it's class. They are not impressed by Descent or Gloomhaven. They are young kids and their taste will change, by what about adults? My go to dungeon crawl are the D&D boardgames, Castle Ravenloft etc. Given space, time and patience pressures, is one perfect and unique snowflake game in a gaming genre enough? is it even possible?


No. Only the best of Genre is not enough for me, but that's because I play with different types of gamers and under various time constraints and player numbers. So best of genre doesn't always cater to my needs.

It's been suggested that I just stick to the best game for each of those situations then, but I love variety to much to agree to that dynamic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Cuppiburra wrote:
Fascinating that there is a subtle weave through the above posts of "I have the best of that genre so why fill up on imitators?" If you have what you might consider the best dudes on a map game for example, why pick up more games that try to repeat the experience? People will dissent here, but this post grew out of questioning a growing collection, of increased time constraints and the disinterest in learning new rulesets, so taking that into account if you were to limit your collection to the best in genre, how would that look? What's the best dungeon crawler? the best dudes on a map? the best RPG boardgame? the best horror? My kids (3 of them all under 10 years)think Runebound 2nd Edition is the best of it's class. They are not impressed by Descent or Gloomhaven. They are young kids and their taste will change, by what about adults? My go to dungeon crawl are the D&D boardgames, Castle Ravenloft etc. Given space, time and patience pressures, is one perfect and unique snowflake game in a gaming genre enough? is it even possible?


No. Only the best of Genre is not enough for me, but that's because I play with different types of gamers and under various time constraints and player numbers. So best of genre doesn't always cater to my needs.

It's been suggested that I just stick to the best game for each of those situations then, but I love variety to much to agree to that dynamic.

I never understood the "only have the best" of a genre argument. I like music. I have amassed thousands of LPs and CDs in my life, and my NAS has over 400,000 tracks on it. I like progressive rock. One could argue that Yes is the best prog rock band. So I should only need Yes albums. No ELP, no Jethro Tull, No King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel, Barkley James Harvest, Focus, Genesis, Pink Floyd... Now, Close to the Edge is the best Yes album. So, really, why have Fragile or Drama or Relayer or 90125 or Tales from Topographic Oceans or Talk or Keys to Ascension? Now, on Close to the Edge, the best song is And You And I. So no need to play Close to the Edge or Siberian Khatru.

All I need is one song to have "the best"? gah. How boring. As if the "best" will always satisfy whatever craving you have at a given moment and as if nothing else offers anything a little different even if it's not "the best".
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Allen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
DragonsDream wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
Cuppiburra wrote:
Fascinating that there is a subtle weave through the above posts of "I have the best of that genre so why fill up on imitators?" If you have what you might consider the best dudes on a map game for example, why pick up more games that try to repeat the experience? People will dissent here, but this post grew out of questioning a growing collection, of increased time constraints and the disinterest in learning new rulesets, so taking that into account if you were to limit your collection to the best in genre, how would that look? What's the best dungeon crawler? the best dudes on a map? the best RPG boardgame? the best horror? My kids (3 of them all under 10 years)think Runebound 2nd Edition is the best of it's class. They are not impressed by Descent or Gloomhaven. They are young kids and their taste will change, by what about adults? My go to dungeon crawl are the D&D boardgames, Castle Ravenloft etc. Given space, time and patience pressures, is one perfect and unique snowflake game in a gaming genre enough? is it even possible?


No. Only the best of Genre is not enough for me, but that's because I play with different types of gamers and under various time constraints and player numbers. So best of genre doesn't always cater to my needs.

It's been suggested that I just stick to the best game for each of those situations then, but I love variety to much to agree to that dynamic.

I never understood the "only have the best" of a genre argument. I like music. I have amassed thousands of LPs and CDs in my life, and my NAS has over 400,000 tracks on it. I like progressive rock. One could argue that Yes is the best prog rock band. So I should only need Yes albums. No ELP, no Jethro Tull, No King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel, Barkley James Harvest, Focus, Genesis, Pink Floyd... Now, Close to the Edge is the best Yes album. So, really, why have Fragile or Drama or Relayer or 90125 or Tales from Topographic Oceans or Talk or Keys to Ascension? Now, on Close to the Edge, the best song is And You And I. So no need to play Close to the Edge or Siberian Khatru.

All I need is one song to have "the best"? gah. How boring. As if the "best" will always satisfy whatever craving you have at a given moment and as if nothing else offers anything a little different even if it's not "the best".


Board Games have a lot of burdens of ownership that music does not. You need to keep the games physically, and they take up quite a bit of space. You also need to keep the rules fresh in your mind, or spend significant time relearning the rules each time you pull it out. Better to have a small curated collection you love, than one that just gives you novelty day in and day out because you've never played something thrice.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
Glebe
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
aboardgamebarrage wrote:
DragonsDream wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:
Cuppiburra wrote:
Fascinating that there is a subtle weave through the above posts of "I have the best of that genre so why fill up on imitators?" If you have what you might consider the best dudes on a map game for example, why pick up more games that try to repeat the experience? People will dissent here, but this post grew out of questioning a growing collection, of increased time constraints and the disinterest in learning new rulesets, so taking that into account if you were to limit your collection to the best in genre, how would that look? What's the best dungeon crawler? the best dudes on a map? the best RPG boardgame? the best horror? My kids (3 of them all under 10 years)think Runebound 2nd Edition is the best of it's class. They are not impressed by Descent or Gloomhaven. They are young kids and their taste will change, by what about adults? My go to dungeon crawl are the D&D boardgames, Castle Ravenloft etc. Given space, time and patience pressures, is one perfect and unique snowflake game in a gaming genre enough? is it even possible?


No. Only the best of Genre is not enough for me, but that's because I play with different types of gamers and under various time constraints and player numbers. So best of genre doesn't always cater to my needs.

It's been suggested that I just stick to the best game for each of those situations then, but I love variety to much to agree to that dynamic.

I never understood the "only have the best" of a genre argument. I like music. I have amassed thousands of LPs and CDs in my life, and my NAS has over 400,000 tracks on it. I like progressive rock. One could argue that Yes is the best prog rock band. So I should only need Yes albums. No ELP, no Jethro Tull, No King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Camel, Barkley James Harvest, Focus, Genesis, Pink Floyd... Now, Close to the Edge is the best Yes album. So, really, why have Fragile or Drama or Relayer or 90125 or Tales from Topographic Oceans or Talk or Keys to Ascension? Now, on Close to the Edge, the best song is And You And I. So no need to play Close to the Edge or Siberian Khatru.

All I need is one song to have "the best"? gah. How boring. As if the "best" will always satisfy whatever craving you have at a given moment and as if nothing else offers anything a little different even if it's not "the best".


Board Games have a lot of burdens of ownership that music does not. You need to keep the games physically, and they take up quite a bit of space. You also need to keep the rules fresh in your mind, or spend significant time relearning the rules each time you pull it out. Better to have a small curated collection you love, than one that just gives you novelty day in and day out because you've never played something thrice.


The "best" does not need to be singular. It could contain several of that type/genre/class of game. I grew up in the 70's and early 80's, I like the music from that time but I wouldn't want to or need to sit down and listen to all of it, just the best of that time is usually enough. Besides time is finite while activities can be endless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

mb Public commitment: Not buying new games in 2017


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Captain
United States
Travis AFB
California
flag msg tools
badge
Carry On!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very relatable! I've been making an effort to slow down "THE ACCUMLATION TEMPTATION"

I was doing well. But then I went to my FLGS for game night; walked out with Photosynthesis
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Taylor
Australia
Glebe
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is certainly a trinity between hotness + Kickstarter + plastic minis. I'm not always convinced/bullied/sweet talked into believing that a plethora of plastic minis and stretch goals = awesome rulesets and gameplay.
Eg; I initially backed the Resident Evil 2.0 KS, the minis were super fine but the rules were sparse and game demos had a fair bit of cheating going on to make things work. Fan boys/girls had the loudest voice and they didn't seem to be overtly worried about the rules and whether they were finished or not. I un-pledged and feel better for it.
I understand painters/collectors/ those fearful of missing out, but how many Myths, Sword and Sorcery, Dark, Darker, Darkest, Dungeon Saga, Folklore Afflictions exist in the world of KS? They are hyped, they are red hot with hotness, then later...
Look at the hotness around Conan, A Song of Ice and Fire or the current Joan of Arc, heck a lot of the backers don't even know what a skirmish game is. IMO and my opinion only, I find it increasingly hard to maintain the hotness (except for the 7th Continent, now that's sizzling!).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cuppiburra wrote:

Eg; I initially backed the Resident Evil 2.0 KS, the minis were super fine but the rules were sparse and game demos had a fair bit of cheating going on to make things work. Fan boys/girls had the loudest voice and they didn't seem to be overtly worried about the rules and whether they were finished or not. I un-pledged and feel better for it.

Look at the hotness around Conan, A Song of Ice and Fire or the current Joan of Arc, heck a lot of the backers don't even know what a skirmish game is. IMO and my opinion only, I find it increasingly hard to maintain the hotness (except for the 7th Continent, now that's sizzling!).


Hi Matt,

I take your point about Joan of Arc (and Folklore: The Affliction) — I can't justify $120+ on a game that won't see the light of day until next Summer/Winter, and will likely only be played a couple of times, too. At least if I spend $40+ on a computer game, I can be reasonably confident I'll get many days/weeks out of it (XCOM 2 is an example of a PC game that is well worth investing in, for example).

Res Evil 2.0 is an interesting one for me, and is also the game that made me stand up, take notice, and start taking action to curb my Kickstarter addiction... I started writing quite a lot about this and several other seemingly overly-ambitious Kickstarter projects recently: All the gifts, or not...

Alex - ManGo's Gaming
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
godunow wrote:

I've been participating in that challenge this year and it's been great! I've had a lot of success (personally measured, of course) and there is a good group of people that take an active interest in what others are doing. It's great for accountability and talking strategy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
this "problem" has an easy solution: be poor

This was an LOL moment for me. And I am sitting between to strangers on a plane!☺️ (Better than snakes I guess....)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've still bought lots of games this year though that is wargames. But something has changed with Euros. I don't think I have bought a Euro this year yet, though I did pick up some expansions.

I just feel pretty content with what I have. I ranked my top 100 games recently and I was really surprised by how much I like some of the games in the 50s and 60s! Games I really, really like.

I feel comfy now with the idea that there could be a game that might be a bit better than what I have, but I enjoy what I have so much.

Like I hear some folks say there are better tile-laying games than Carcassonne.

But I really like Carcassonne regardless of whether there are or are not better games than it now. I don't feel like I need something that might be slightly better. This'll do!

My Euro collection was not that terribly well planned, though I did research the bulk of them fairly well after a few disappointments.

Wargames I have done a ton of research and I know exactly how many games I want in each category and I'm close to what I hope is the wargames collection of my dreams. Mostly done but it'll take a few more years to fill the slots left, like the Fire in the Lake reprint hopefully coming next year.

This has made me think, will we see something of a bubble burst in the boardgame industry? Surely it won't keep growing at the same rate forever with new folks coming in, and what happens if it does slow, and many folks have slowed down heavily as they have assembled a big collection?

My wife is still buying a few Euros and it tends to be games with good production values now. Games with sucky art or lower production are tending to miss the cut now. I would have got the In the Year of the Dragon reprint if it was a bit more Stonemaier components-wise. The London reprint, however, my wife picked that up and the art is delightful.

My plan going forward is Euros must not grow in number. I am still not sure whether to have one in one out, or to trim the Euros, e.g. one in, three out to begin with, then two out, then one out to keep it stable. Though I have a bit more spare space than I realised after a tidy up the other week, so I could keep it as is.

Wargames, each category it will be one in, one out once the categories are filled.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
but it's the rise of Legacy games

Is 7 games a rise?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
blackmeeple wrote:
I've still bought lots of games this year though that is wargames.


Wargames don't count. lol.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
blackmeeple wrote:
I've still bought lots of games this year though that is wargames.


Wargames don't count. lol.




I'll fix it here:

"I've bought lots of awesome wargames this year, but Euros no longer pull on my purse strings as much as they used to."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen VC
msg tools
I've always been interested in boardgames but started playing and buying more since 18 months or so.
Hooked up with some old Mtg game buddies who have turned to boardgaming and liked what I saw.
Backing Evolution Climate on Kickstarter started a period of buying lots of games, funnily enough Evolution Climate is still my/our favourite game.

Last month I visited Essen for the first time and unsurprisingly came home with as much as I could manage to carry.
I had prepared quite well and planned to buy selectively.
This preparation helped me skip many games which caught my attention when I first saw them but then felt underwhelming.
It also allowed me to dedicate more time to games which deserved a second look and so I ended up buying more of those.
From this we are enjoying Photosynthesis, Transatlantic and Rescue Polar Bears.
Looking forward to playing Pandemic S2, Bios Megafauna, Tao Long and Terraforming Mars expansions.
Divinity Derby turned out so so and not sure how many plays Sanctuary, Noria and Otys will see, which strenghtened my intention to be more considerate about buying.

Since then I've felt like I more or less have what I need and planned to buy less.

But this hasn't really worked out since I stumbled over Star Wars Rebellion on a city trip (what a boobytrap) which I really liked and filled an empty niche.
And we also found Star Wars Imperial Assault in the same shop which filled in the dungeon crawler game that I was looking for (for which I was considering Massive Darkness and Gloomhaven, both which I resisted buying at Essen (proof that there is willpower somewhere!)).

Then I also got Arkham Horror cardgame because I did not have a good cardgame/deckbuilder yet and which I felt I lacked as a previous competitive Mtg player.
And an expansion to TIME stories and Blood Rage, both games which I've recently been playing and which will get used and enjoyed.

Now I'm looking at the expansion/errata to SW Rebellion but apart from that I feel I've bought enough for a while and am looking forward to a winter of boardgaming.

Time for the backed Kickstarter stretchgoal-madness miniature games to arrive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I am a mixture of a lot of the posters here. I started about 3 years ago having a video and classic gaming background.

Being semi-retired I know had the time and finances, so I read the reviews and bought all the popular easy to play Euro style games at first.

A few became more and more until I have an embarrassing number now.

I realize I will have a lot of games that will remain unplayed when I pass away. I don;t really care as I can pass them on to my son who is also fanatical about Euro gaming.

Now that I actually play a fair bit of the games, I am far more discerning.

I stay away from Legacy, Coop, miniatures, and heavy rated games over 3.00 mostly.

I don't buy games just because they sell out in the first print run anymore because I know they will be readily available or on sale later.

For example, I could care less about Great Western Trail or Spirit Island, but like Photosynthesis and Sagrada. FOr me, the easy to learn yet have great depth are the games to do for. I get the greatest audience with these types of games, though I still occasionally play war-games and medium heavies.

Good luck to all with your game collection!





3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.