Popular Tags: [View All]
Theaty Hannington
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Round. Chris played as the Norsemen, Connor played as the Berserkers, I played as both English Factions. Well, all three English factions, I guess.

The Great Heathen Host broke into Wessex and took London right away. London hardly even put up a fight. That first Viking invasion then marched around Southern England at will, wiping out any English they came across. But eventually, the Mercian kings were able to counterattack and almost killed Halfdan, the initial army's leader, on the first turn. But England was still divided.

The next spring's invading Viking Army invaded real good, solidifying Viking control of Wessex. But those pesky English kept sneaking in the back door and sniping poorly defended cities, eventually wiping out both Viking Leaders on the board in Turn 2. Turn 2 below:

Turn 3 was the Viking Reinforcements. They solidified their hold on Wessex and took Exeter. But the English kept snapping at their heels in Wessex and East Anglia. One Viking Commander was fed up with swapping cities back and forth, and wanted to leave adequate defenses in place to keep the English out of conquered areas. Another Viking Commander wanted to take a corner and push outwards (The Australia tactic in Risk). The English Commander, moi, wanted both Viking Commanders to keep disagreeing, keep arguing, and maybe start to work at cross purposes to each other.

On turn 4, the Vikings invaded York, then Durham, and pushing into Mercia. The English focused on re-taking Wessex and East Anglia, which worked splendidly, except for Exeter. The English also tried to retake Mercia, which failed miserably. But the retaking of Wessex widened the divide between the Viking Commanders.

On turn 5, the English gambled: they played their second Treaty of Wedmore card, ensuring that the game would be over at the end of turn 5. Alfred the Great arrived for the English side and I finally had a leader. With the Thegn turn, I retook parts of Northern Mercia, and prepared for a push into Northumbria. The Viking counter to this faltered: their Berserkers went second and their leaders' army only had Norsemen, no Berserkers, so Connor couldn't use what was left of that Host (A 12 unit army at this stage). The English push North was betrayed by poor weather and two mistakes on my part (leaving cities undefended when attacking in adjacent spaces) but the English ultimately cruised to an easy victory. With first rounds though, the score never counts. All three of us think this game is a ten out of ten, and that's the score that counts.

This game plays very similarly to 1754: The French and Indian War. The difference here is that the Vikings have these leaders that invade every year. These leaders come into England, smash and burn everything, then run out of steam. The English try to find a balance between spreading out in a delaying tactic, and staying together for an effective counterattack that also runs the risk of getting wiped out by a huge Viking army. The Vikings try to balance causing enough damage to keep the English from a counterattack, but not overextending themselves too much and allowing an English attack to take out their leaders.

I look forward to playing this game more. I also have a bunch of expansions that we haven't tried yet.

[Most Images from Wikipedia. Picture of Game in Progress Mine.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work.

Good use of maps and photographs.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. Looking forward to play my own game soon

I think the "Australia" tactic can work for the vikings. Not sure on how to play the English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theaty Hannington
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Excellent work.

Good use of maps and photographs.

thumbsup

Thanks, Pete! Your sessions are always ones I get super excited for. Glad I could repay the blessing.

antoi wrote:
Not sure on how to play the English.

Panic. Mostly panic. At one point I hid Exeter with my hands. This backfired as the Vikings realized it would be a good get at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you, sticking with the 'base game' before trying expansions.

I read a lot of folks jumping straight into some (or even ALL) of the expansions and I am sad that they will never see how good the game is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.