Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Guy
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a solo campaign (per these rules) and did pretty well. Here are the final results:

Solo Campaign Results:
Quote:
##. Corp, WIN/LOSE, Score if WIN
01. Mining Guild, LOSE
02. Phoblog, WIN, 71
03. Thorgate, WIN, 75
04. Tharsis Republic, WIN, 93
05. Inventrix, WIN, 84
06. Helios, WIN, 88
07. Mining Guild, WIN, 93
08. UNMI, WIN, 86
09. Saturn Systems, WIN, 78
10. Credicor, WIN, 105
11. Interplanetary Cinematics, WIN, 87
12. Teractor, LOSE
13. Teractor, WIN, 76
14. Ecoline, WIN, 95

Win Rate: 85.71%
Average Score: 85.92

I think that is a great win rate, but the average score could use some work. I still have difficulty getting extra points, having to focus on completing the terraforming by the last generation. I enjoyed writing a couple of session reports (one for each Mining Guild game), and thought I would wrap up the campaign with one more.

This is the story of Inventrix.

2317 AD
The Director of Advanced Research Projects at Inventrix had just finished the presentation. The various Chief Executives present frowned and looked at one another skeptically.

"This is going to work!" the Director insisted. "We just need the up front investment, to implement phase one as quickly as possible. This amazing invention can heat Mars."

"There won't be much of a budget left for anything else..." grumbled the CFO.

"Just enough to develop and deploy a bacterium that can produce greenhouse gasses with lower oxygenation requirements than anything our competitors can create. That's the genius of Inventrix."

The CEO's frown adjusted slightly at the Director's sloganeering, a subtle change of expression not lost on the other executives.

"This is a pretty barebones plan - a space mirror and some bugs," the COO complained. "Is there any more to it?"

"We have some other research in the works," the Director said, hoping no one would ask for specifics.

No one did. The CEO's head began to nod ever so slightly, and soon the other executives were imitating the gesture. A consensus had formed.

"Let's do it," the CEO declared. And so it was done.

In the first generation that Inventrix was on Mars, the corporation constructed an enormous space mirror, the largest ever known. It was a project they proudly called "Soletta." In the next generation additional solar power generators were constructed, to supplement the heat production from Soletta and kick start the long process of raising the planet's temperature to the level required for habitation.

But it took over a century for phase two to get underway. Their specially designed GHG producing bacteria required oxygen, so some way was needed to put plants on Mars. Inventrix shipped them in from off world, grew them using the heat they were producing, and eventually spent a great deal of money to begin the greening of the Red Planet. When at last oxygen levels were high enough, the bacteria got to work, raising the levels even higher.

And then came a breakthrough - a new biotech invention, a fungus that promoted the growth of the bacteria, dramatically accelerating the oxygenation timetable. All this time, Soletta had been cranking out heat, slowly raising the temperature of Mars.

Still, more was needed to make the planet habitable. Inventrix pulled everything it could out of its bag of tricks, planting specially designed flora, tapping lava flows, bringing in water from comets - whatever it took to maximize the global parameters. Eventually, as it looked more and more like the project would be an ultimate success, it began using the heat from Soletta for specific tweaks of the planet's terraforming profile. It finished off the temperature raising by using asteroids crashed in from orbit.

When all was said and done, Mars was a lush planet of green plantations, great oceans and mangrove swamps, with four major cities. The World Government Terraforming Committee declared the project a success. The genius of Inventrix had been proven.

So in this game, in the initial draw I had Soletta. In order to play it on the first turn, which seemed like the only way to bother to keep it and play it, I could only buy two other cards. But since Inventrix gets three extra cards at game start, I figured that was fine. The other two cards I kept were the GHG Producing Bacteria and the Caretaker Contract. Both would be playable earlier than normal thanks to the Inventrix special ability, and with Soletta the Caretaker Contract seemed feasible. Also, there was just something delightfully brazen about trying to get away with using Caretaker Contract in the solo game.

Soletta was the only card I could play on the first generation, and on the second generation I played Solar Power for an energy production, to ensure eight heat for a temperature bump each generation. Getting the GHG bacteria up and running was a bit harder, because even with the Inventrix ability, I still needed 2% oxygen. I got two greenery out with a combination of Convoy from Europa, Local Heat Trapping and paying for a Greenery Standard Project (ouch!). But it was well worth the cost when I soon afterwards drew the Extreme Cold Fungus, which let me use the GHG Producing Bacteria every turn.

Despite all this, I still had to find other ways to raise the temperature and oxygen. But there were enough card draws and money income for standard projects to pull it off. I managed to use the Caretaker Contract action three times, with an agonizing choice on generation 12 of whether or not I could afford to divert the heat from raising temperature, since despite Soletta I was still far down on the temperature track. The fact that using heat plus two Asteroids to raise temperature would then give me the bonus ocean placement made me decide to forego the Caretaker Contract that turn.

Arctic Algae helped a lot with getting out some extra greenery, so by the end Mars was looking pretty good.

Final production/resources:
Quote:
MegaCredits +1/69
Steel +0/0
Titanium +0/0
Plants +6/0
Energy +0/0
Heat +9/14

Final score:
Quote:
TR 60
Greenery 12
Cities 9
Cards 3
Total 84

Cards played and actions taken each generation:
Quote:
(A) means action on an active card and (SP) means Standard Project.

Gen1
Soletta

Gen2
Solar Power

Gen3
Fueled Generators
8 Heat -> +temp
Business Contacts

Gen4
Convoy from Europa
8 Heat -> +temp

Gen5
8 Heat -> +temp
Sell Patents

Gen6
Local Heat Trapping
Greenery (SP)
8 Plants -> Greenery
GHG Producing Bacteria +(A: add microbe)
8 Heat -> +temp

Gen7
Subterranean Reservoir
8 Heat -> +temp
GHG Producing Bacteria (A: add microbe)

Gen8
Extreme Cold Fungus +(A: add two microbes to GHG Producing Bacteria)
GHG Producing Bacteria (A: raise oxygen)
16 Heat -> ++temp

Gen9
8 Heat -> +temp
Bushes
Plantation

Gen10
Lava Flows
Artificial Photosynthesis
8 Heat -> +temp
8 Plants -> Greenery
Sell Patents

Gen11
Arctic Algae
Artificial Lake
8 Heat -> +temp
Caretaker Contract +(A)
Worms
8 Plants -> Greenery

Gen12
Towing a Comet
Algae
8 Heat -> +temp
8 Plants -> Greenery
Asteroid (SP)
8 Plants -> Greenery

Gen13
Comet
City(SP)
Sell Patents
Ice Cap Melting
8 Plants -> Greenery
Mangrove
8 Heat -> +temp
Caretaker Contract (A)

Gen14
8 Plants -> Greenery
Aquifer (SP)
Aquifer (SP)
Asteroid (SP)
Asteroid (SP)
Magentic Field Dome
Caretaker Contract (A)
City (SP)
8 Plants -> Greenery
Sell Patents

FINAL GREENERY PLACEMENT
8 Plants -> Greenery

Final Layout:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.