6 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: One Spanish Vampire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucien Lachat
msg tools
Hello all,

This was my group’s fourth playthrough, and the second time with advanced rules. As of now, only I have played as Dracula, but after this game, some players have definitely expressed interest in donning his cloak.

Week 1:
Since I was very obnoxious in the previous game by starting in Britannia, John Seward decides to start in Manchester to rule that option out. Mina and Van Helsing both start in Strasbourg so they can quickly ping me in several regions. Godalming starts in Budapest.

I decide to start in Granada, out of the way of the railroad. I move to Cadiz, and place a New Vampire. I then use wolf form to Santander and place a rumor on Cadiz before embarking on a cruise to Cagliari.
Meanwhile, John Seward leaves no stone unturned in Great Britain and, with a little help from my smirky self, gives in to paranoia and decides he'd better check Ireland as well. Mina and Van Helsing work together and rule me out of France, Italy and Germany. Lord Godalming is in Eastern Europe, doing what he's best at (imo), barreling around and looking for trouble. Much to my displeasure, by this time already they have Sister Agatha as an ally.

As I land in Cagliari and drop an aristocratic vampire, the Hunters play Hired Scout, and Santander gets revealed. I hide in Cagliari, place fog and move Granada to a lair. Then, I feed. Unfortunately for them, the hunters don't make it to Cadiz in time, and I get six points. Mina locates me in Italy, and the Hunters deduce that I am in Cagliari. Godalming embarks to Cagliari while the other hunters start fanning out, anticipating my next port of arrival.

Week 2:
I embark from Cagliari to the Mediterranean Sea, sailing around Spain, while Godalming wastes a couple days dealing with the vampire and the fog. I use wolf form and land in Toulouse via Bordeaux, then I move to Barcelona. At this point, Godalming is back on land, combing Spain just to make sure I didn't come back for that lair, and John Seward is sitting pretty in Marseilles, going on a supply binge for events. I'd like to get out of that pinch, but I have to wait until the Mediterranean Sea falls of the trail. I bide my time and feather my nest by hiding.
Camping in Marseilles finally pays off for John Seward, and he draws Evil Presence. I am so nervous about his proximity that I forget to double check if there really is a road between Marseilles and Barcelona. I say I'm adjacent to John Seward, realize my error, say I am not adjacent to anyone. Too late, John Seward puts two and two together. I gave myself away. I still have one more turn before I can embark, so I feed.

Week 3:
Godalming is in Saragossa, closing in, and John Seward plays Chartered Carriage and moves to Barcelona. He gets ambushed by rats, but his dogs come to the rescue. He also gets ambushed by Szgany Bodyguards. To my extreme surprise, he doesn't have any weapon card and suffers four damages. Dusk combat arrives, and successful Claws send John Seward to the Hospital. By this point I am at eleven health points. I have ten influence points.

I take the sea toward the East, and the Hunters happen to replace Sister Agatha with Rufus at that time. Mina and Van Helsing rush to the East, while John Seward and Godalming are covering Western Europe. By the time I Wolf Form into Bucharest, I am down to two health points. I lay down a Reckless Vampire in Bucharest. John Seward plays Money Trail and they reveal the Black Sea. Van Helsing arrives in Klausenburg, and Mina is on my tail and lands in Constanta. Someone plays Surprising Return, and Sister Agatha is back again. I move to Galatz, and out of despair, lay down another Reckless Vampire. Then, Van Helsing moves to Galatz, gets ambushed by the Reckless vampire and takes four damages before escaping. Mina tries to take a train to Galatz, but a False Tip sends her to Szeged instead.

At Dusk, Van Helsing and I duel in Galatz. Thanks to luck, and because I can't play Fangs, my initial combat hand contains both Strength cards. The other hunters egg on Van Helsing to go all out. On the first turn Val Helsing plays rifle. I play strength. Van Helsing then plays Knife, and I play Strength again. Van Helsing is defeated, and I gain four more Influence points, winning the game (thanks to double Strength).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting in Britannia isn’t obnoxious! It’s a great trick, easily countered by having a single hunter start there...with my gaming group every game starts with the hunters saying, “Okay, who’s going volunteer to start in England?”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. The hunters made great use of their allies, and events in general. Sister Agatha to Rufus Smith (for sea) and returning Sister Agatha is VERY strong.

The hunters stumbled by wasting too much time on low probability searches (Ireland) and by rushing into a confrontation unsupplied (and unarmed!) -- John Seward in Barcelona. That was what lost them the game. Much better to supply before rushing in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Session report. I really enjoyed reading it. Makes me want to pull the game out again (like I ever need an excuse for that).

Try playing the hunters sometime. It feels like a completely different game. Instead of having perfect knowledge and stressing about close the hunters are, your just wandering around blind hoping to hit something so you can begin the proper chase. I enjoyed it a lot, but I do have a new appreciation for what the hunters go through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Nice report. The hunters made great use of their allies, and events in general. Sister Agatha to Rufus Smith (for sea) and returning Sister Agatha is VERY strong.

The hunters stumbled by wasting too much time on low probability searches (Ireland) and by rushing into a confrontation unsupplied (and unarmed!) -- John Seward in Barcelona. That was what lost them the game. Much better to supply before rushing in.

From the sound of things, Seward should have been well armed if he had been Supply binging in Marseilles. Must have just had unlucky draws or chose to keep non-weapon items.

Great report, lokiluc!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Lachat
msg tools
Thanks everyone!

Even though the hunters lost, they enjoyed the suspense and close calls of this game and they are enthusiastic about playing it again. Great now that winter is coming. That is a big relief to me, since I love this game and was worried that it would be too long for my group of casual players.

COMaestro wrote:
From the sound of things, Seward should have been well armed if he had been Supply binging in Marseilles. Must have just had unlucky draws or chose to keep non-weapon items.

In addition to Dogs, I know for sure that he had a crucifix. I think he was mostly aiming to draw good events. This game was the first time my players realized that event cards are not just garnish and can actually tip the game in their favor. In previous games, they were utterly starving Drac out.

Barronmore wrote:
Try playing the hunters sometime. It feels like a completely different game. Instead of having perfect knowledge and stressing about close the hunters are, your just wandering around blind hoping to hit something so you can begin the proper chase. I enjoyed it a lot, but I do have a new appreciation for what the hunters go through.

I had played first edition a few times as a hunter (seems like a lifetime ago now), and I definitely want to play third edition as a hunter. One of my buddies is especially interested in playing Drac, and I'm planning a dry run with him as soon as possible. Mostly I want to see how other people would play as Dracula.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.