Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Once more without feeling! Spring 1966 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Session report from my (NLF) email campaign against Heikki (FWA)

We were at a total of 934 vassal vlogs mailed at the end of Spring 1966.

Now, as mentioned, my strategy has been so far historical - try to use regiments instead of just guerilla operations. Historically that failed, and NLF had to go back to guerilla warfare, which they had hoped to already have left behind in 1964. This is according to the communist theory of the time - agitation -> guerilla warfare -> organized revolutionary army in the open -> general uprising in support of it once it starts winning -> victory. Does not seem to be working so well here either.

Well, we discussed the strategies we are using. Heikki has chosen also a kind of historical strategy. VC Body Count is the ultimate objective - but, at the same time, he wants to limit US commitment to as little as possible, and avoid Free Fire - to gain also the population, and a long US presence. This of course means that something has to give - here it is the repl losses. During the first year ARVN has lost 68 and US has lost 25 replacements. VC has lost 87 battalion equivalents. The air and trans losses + VC repls from dispersals might roughly cover the difficult to track VC repl losses - meaning that on the average, VC tends to take something with them when destroyed.

His theory is that by focusing on killing VC, the draft cost will raise, and thus remove even a whole Offensive from the game. My theory is that very high ARVN repl losses will shorten the game, and thus even remove a whole year from the game. So, apparently we both should be happy for the results. I believe we both, at least at times, are actually convinced of this being hopeless and a lost cause. So, everything seems to be balanced, and the game works, crushing the hopes and spirits of both sides at the same time.

The game decided to crush my hopes for population this season. Heikki was kind enough to calculate the average pacification DR - Fall 65: 6.5, Winter 65: 7.3, Spring 66: 7.8 (!) -> I lost 5 points. The IV corps, which is already difficult to be in, still stayed mostly in red, the worst column - indoctrination seems to have worked - but I started to lose population in the 1st corps, which had a heavy VC presence and which should have gone my way. Oh well, more VC there, then. (Sneak peek to Summer 66 - We got Thua Thien to the deepest red column! I lost one point in total, however).

Thieu, the undisputed and unchallenged hero and dictator of SVN, has everybody in a tight leash. No political problems, and ARVN was maximally effective for this season. That seems to have become a nasty habit.

FWA withdrew lots of planes (it is Spring) and brought in artillery. Even some SVN 175mm artillery. Which was useful for them during the season - its presence alone discouraged a VC division from attacking - and it of course bombarded too.

NLF built I corps full, the mountains were quite blue - with red halos, from all of the patrolling done there. Clusters with heavy patrolling in the mountains are more resilient than even holding clusters. It is the pursuit bonuses which ultimately kill the VC, the vicious circle of increasing bonuses. Patrolling helps against that, a little bit, survival becomes slightly more likely.

There were a few interesting battles.

The VC divisional formation which had fought over Tuyen Duc retreated to the border, and got some NVA artillery support too. US wanted to destroy it and entered Cambodia to cut it off - just into the disputed hexes, and almost managed to kill it. A rearguard VC battalion remained in the target hex, allowing the artillery and others to retreat to another target hex which could not be attacked without violating the Cambodian neutrality - the others survived for its sacrifice. The rearguard ZOC was what made that possible.

I managed to stack several battalions into Chu Lai, even Hold one - but Heikki surrounded them, preventing Alert by threatening a sure destruction in an incidental attack, and then repeatedly bombarded them, gaining both intelligence and VC repl losses. The intelligence then allowed him to calculate the optimal attack against them, wiping them out easily.

A VC division whacked an unsuspecting and unsupported US battalion hard. Unfortunately, the battalion survived to retreat away.

The last known VC division, with some NVA HQ support, just bombarded - and got itself bombarded back - in the Parrot Peak.

There were multiple battles where VC reacted and retreated to form several target hexes. That works, it dilutes the pursuit by picking the worst rolled pursuit for everybody. IV corps was almost completely cleared. It is unsurvivable now. But it still needs sustained and credible VC presence each season, to prevent the capitalist and imperialist forces from redeploying to the other corps.

Losses over the season:

12 ARVN repl, 10 US repl, 1 air, 3 trans, 2 ARVN armor, 1 ARVN ac
20 VC repl, 22 vc battalions, 1 political section

End of the season stats:

US Morale 505
US Commitment 128
SVN Morale 85
SVN Population 222

The mandatory end of the season screenshot:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice report Petri. I enjoy reading how the different strategies react with each other to produce some interesting battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmb

Did your friend use some economic aid program ?
When i compare , i feel they are so few Us unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He used initially enough to prevent SVN from suffering the bad shift even for one pacification. There having been no coups, there has not been much reason to continue with the aid. Getting to the good shift by aid would unlock the offensives, and the SVN morale is now slowly rising by itself.

Also, your US has used 173 commitment before Summer 66 vs his US having used only 128

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmb

I don't think was mine
No session report in english for this campaign .
I have just few more Commitment 129 at spring 66 but i have just 2 air pointlaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, ok, I was thinking one of the recent session reports, sorry for confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.