Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played our first game of R&R last night. We have a big game group, so any new game will usually be at max players.

Scenario: None, just secret mission cards
# of Players: 4
Game Length: 2 hrs
VP Threshold: 12 (It would have taken too long to play until 20)

So, we all gathered our ships and crew and set up according to a standard battle. Each of us placed our crew, guns and put our ships on our corner planet home base space thingy.

This was our learning game so I explained the basics, then we learned as we played. I am fairly familiar with the game so it flowed pretty smoothly. We all preprogrammed our cards that dictate what our ships will do on their turns.

I was first player and had the Blaarg, basically brains with a big eyeball and robot bodies. I decided that since I have a ship that can better fire in all directions due to weapon positioning and my handy turret, I would go to the middle and try to hassle all the other players. I move forward and used my engineers to give me additional movement

Unfortunately, all the other players had similar flights and perceived me to be the biggest threat even though I start with fewer guns than anybody. Next thing you know, I have 4 blast markers on my ship and a gun destroyed.

I also started to become very scared of the pirate ship as it has massive firepower capabilities and my opponent knew how to use it with her captain manning the main gun and gaining a +2 to hit, she was ripping through all of us.

We circled around a bit. I shot all the guns off the closest side of the rocketeer's ship, and next thing you know, I can't hold back my brainy impulses. I pop my master brain out into the void of space, rip open an airlock in the rocketeer's ship, and now my master brain is on board my enemy's ship and he is freaking out.

My boldness reminded everyone else that your crew are pretty dang good at fighting, and soon every ship was invaded by pesky crew from other people's ships. It was pandemonium. The pirates have an ability that if they get a crew on your ship, he can hit a button on his space suit and beam his captain to an adjacent space! The swashbuckling was full on with melee battles and gun fights on every ship.

The rocketeer captain jet packed onto my ship and just started blasting the hell out of it. That coupled with shots from the pirates, next thing you know my beautiful round ship was 'sploding brilliantly. I used 3 action points to save my remaining crew, and they vowed to hunt the rocketeer captain in open space, but she was too slippery.

The pirates on board the Zard ship racked up a bunch of VP by blasting through crew members and soon we had a winner as the Pirate player reached 12 VP.

Nobody had any secret mission that would allow them extra VP at the end so the Pirates won the day.

Best part is that we all had a blast. It was silly fun, and we are looking forward to our next game. I want to try the merc captains and I'm eyeballing those pirates. Pretty cool faction. Plus, there are scenarios, so many scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!

You'll get 'em next time, Master Brain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Brutus has been with a Raptor Rescue organization for 10 years.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son is hosting a game day on the 18th and this is on the play list. I'm looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this sounds like fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Really fun" is exactly how I would describe the game. We were laughing at all the zaniness of it all. There’s also some fun tactics in play here as well. Having crew in the right positions, applying the right pressure on an opponent, keeping VP goals in mind.

Playing 4 players is really fun, but it slows down the game. I feel like 3 player might be the sweet spot, but the allure of the chaos of the 4 player game is just so tempting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flash Gordon
msg tools
Sounds like fun. Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.