Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
257 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [11] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Fantasy Flight Games (+ Asmodee + others) - Official Annual Holiday Sale! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Z
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
So as someone fairly new to board games who enjoys playing solo... Are there any good solo-able games in this list worth picking up??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shearer
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
radagast14 wrote:
hist wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
bootz wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Equivalent to E.T. Atari 2600. I can only imagine how many were printed. Game has been on sale constantly for the last 2-3 years.
The game looks awesome. One of these days, I'm going to crack the shrink and play the damn thing.

I've cracked the shrink!

But that's as far as I've gotten.

Yeah, this has been sitting on my unplayed shelf for years now. Despite its positive reviews, good ranking, and beautiful table presence, there's something about this game that keeps it from getting to the table. Not sure what, though.

We played it two or three times last year. It isn't a bad game but it wasn't stunning. It didn't help that we played it alongside M.U.L.E. The Board Game witch was pretty similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
cunning stunt wrote:
bootz wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Equivalent to E.T. Atari 2600. I can only imagine how many were printed. Game has been on sale constantly for the last 2-3 years.
The game looks awesome. One of these days, I'm going to crack the shrink and play the damn thing.

I've cracked the shrink!

But that's as far as I've gotten.

The game is good, but unfortunately the original game has way way cooler pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up the second Wiz-War expansion (already have the first) on the assumption that it was going away. Was rather happy to see the Chicago Express expansion available for $10 as well; although I see that Funagain has it for $20, it doesn't appear otherwise widely available.

I held off on Tide of Iron. I have the original base, Days of the Fox, Normandy, and the book, and have barely played those. Still, $30 to round out the set with Stalingrad and Fury of the Bear was tempting. Still is, a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Clevider wrote:

Wasn't Asmodee the first company to handcuff online stores in regards to prices? Although their rules don't apply to their own online store, I thought other retailers couldn't discount by more than ~15% of the MSRP.

I believe the loophole is advertised as such. This is why you see CSI using a feature where you need to click to see the actual sale price.

Asmodee was not the first company to "handcuff" online pricing - MAYFAIR did it several years before Asmodee did. And the policy does not apply to older products, just ones launched since the policy went into effect, sometime last spring IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Silgado
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy the more expensive stuff, the shipping doesn’t quite kill the deals. I got battlelore with an expansion pack, eclipse expansion, summoner wars alliances master set, deus, and nations for $165 total, including shipping. On Amazon, this order would have been $323 with free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tucker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see Sky Traders went up from $5 to $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pulled the trigger on a couple of the End of the World RPG books at $15/ea. Should ease our group into the RPG world smoothly, since character generation starts with "your character in the game is YOU".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
Pulled the trigger on a couple of the End of the World RPG books at $15/ea. Should ease our group into the RPG world smoothly, since character generation starts with "your character in the game is YOU".

Same here. I grabbed all three with the hopes of getting some family members into it. Also picked up Mafia de Cuba. Pretty good deal all told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Norton
United States
Gardner
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty sure we are killing the website, getting 404 errors when selecting any section currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Mark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went with Earth Reborn and Conan for $98.80, shipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
ColintheFlea wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
I looked at the sale FAQ:

Q: How long will the sale last?

A: The Holiday Sale will end on Monday, November 20th

So they expect you to panic buy before the CSI/MM sales pop up ... clever, very clever ninja

I noticed that also. Now I have to decide whether I want to get Nations/Louis & Clark with this sale, or wait and see if MM has anything good on offer. I'm inclined to wait, as I have Legendary: Aliens on hold at MM, and would like to fill the remaining $70 to get free shipping.

Colin

Wasn't Asmodee the first company to handcuff online stores in regards to prices? Although their rules don't apply to their own online store, I thought other retailers couldn't discount by more than ~15% of the MSRP.

No, Mayfair has been doing it for quite a bit longer than Asmodee. They never had an official map policy until this year. They charged online stores more starting in 2016 and higher prices followed. These are obviously clearance items and ANA made it clear every step of the way they didn’t want to get in the way of stores being able to do sales to clear inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
Pulled the trigger on a couple of the End of the World RPG books at $15/ea.

Trying to do the exact same thing right now but can't seem to make it through Check Out - it keeps 404'ing and 504'ing - it's frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stevenson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
burnface wrote:
So as someone fairly new to board games who enjoys playing solo... Are there any good solo-able games in this list worth picking up??

I decided to pickup "Lewis & Clark" and "Nations" for solo play, but I haven't actually played them myself. However, "Nations" may be a bit heavy for a board gaming newcomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Fort Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for Earth Reborn based solely on this EPIC REVIEW! This may be the most entertaining review I've ever read
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
East Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't resist picking up Conan, Jamaica, Android: Mainframe, and Timeline Challenge. Worried that some may wind up being cheaper at an OLGS when Black Friday rolls around.

Website is sloooooow when browsing, and gives lots of 404s. But the check out screens worked a bit better (hurry up 'n' give uz yer monies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn has long been a game I would love to play, but also a game I realized a long time ago that it would be pointless to buy because I have no one who would ever play it with me. Still tempting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
well, i grabbed the alhambra big box, jamaica, black fleet, and little prince: make me a planet.

thanks, OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burnface wrote:

Dark Darker Darkest is a good solo game. Do not get the expansions as they make a hard game too hard.

$10 is a great price, but shipping may kill it. If so, this one is frequently cheap in many places because of the bad reputation it got after the original Kickstarter snafu and terrible rules that it shipped with. Print out the designer's re-write and you're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the call of Cthulhu expansion packs on sale? Is this game dead? Are these outdated editions? Or is this a good deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anders
msg tools
I-ahem-realized I needed to remove a few games from cart so I could pay for less important stuff like food.

But when I went to checkout the site had put them all back in the cart again.

This happened over and over.yuk I eventually decided to try removing all cookies for the site.

I then refilled the cart more modestly and it worked fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martin
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
FezAZ wrote:
Why are the call of Cthulhu expansion packs on sale? Is this game dead? Are these outdated editions? Or is this a good deal?

Per the Wikipedia article:

On the September 22, 2015, it was announced that Fantasy Flight Games would cease all tournament support and stop developing new expansions after the 2015 World Championship. The Mark of Madness expansion, focusing on Hastur, was the last expansion, completing a cycle of expansions for all 8 factions. In total the game had 10 deluxe box expansions and 7 cycles of 6 asylum packs through the years. Fantasy Flight Games announced that they will keep the ability to reprint already released expansions on demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Socat82 wrote:
pretty sure we are killing the website, getting 404 errors when selecting any section currently.

I can't get past the payment and billing address screen. It keeps going back to the same page in an endless loop. I've been trying since 9:30am ET and still cannot get through. Now someone snagged the last copy of Treasure Hunter. shake

EDIT. I tried my chrome browser and it did not work again so I tried Explorer and it went through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Barth
msg tools
new user
So I just finally decided to pull the trigger and try to start some tabletop with my wife and some friends- thanks for the heads up on the sale!

Starting a collection is maddening- I just don't know what people or myself will like (complexity, game length, co-op vs competitive).

But... I ended up grabbing Summoner wars and battlelore. I used to play magic back in the day so I figure I can get some good card battles with SW- without the need for other people to purchase their own cards.

Any input on difficulty would be great! How difficult is SW and battlelore to learn?

My wife and I just cracked open our first game- Dominion and it went really well. I'm happy to say she had fun, so now I'm looking forward to trying others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anders
msg tools
My group hates learning rules so I passed on this one and a few others I wanted and ended up with stuff like Via Nebula. They like beautiful games so I almost bought Sultaniya but I couldn't bring myself to get the game based on reviews.

I feel like I walk a tightrope choosing between games I can stand and ones they are willing to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.