Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured I need to try and go through step by step via tabletop simulator to get a handle on this, easier to compartmentalise when it's on screen (plus TTS is more intuitive than VASSAL, albeit more limited). Just Normandy mision 1.

To keep it simple I'm making a few modifications:
- No casualty collection/casualties, seeing as they only count for evac.
- No Quarter w/prisoners, instant casualties.
- No Jeep so no vehicle rules
- Everyone gets infinite ammo (both sides)
- Every gets infinite pyro, designated as needed (I'll probably barely use it anyway, though AP -> OBJ could be useful)

So that only leaves the core rules and Comms, seems lightweight enough to get started.

Questions will be in RED.

------------------------------------------------
Setup
------------------------------------------------
OOB:

Main Force:
CO: BN/CO Phones (Radios are pointless in WW2, right? Also is it all phones/all radios for a mission?)
1st Platoon: CO Phone (HQ), 1 Rifle Grenade (Has to be assigned to a squad?), 2 Phone Lines (HQ) (Could squads carry?).
HMG team, Bazooka team, Arty FO w/ Arty Phone.

Support Force:
XO: CO Phone
2nd Platoon: CO Phone (HQ), 1 Rifle Grenade, Phone Line (HQ).
Mortar Squad (big one), Bazooka team, LMG team.

Reserve Force:
1Sgt: CO Phone
3rd Platoon: CO Phone (HQ), 1 Rifle Grenade, Phone Line (HQ).
Bazooka team, LMG team.

AO:

Farm is OBJ 1, Hedgerow is OBJ2, Woods are AP.

(At this point I guess I would designate casualty collection, most likely in the Row 1 Bocage, or can you do it in the staging area?)

Plan is to stage the Main Force in column 1, and advance to the AP, Support in column 2 to scout orchards and move to flank where possible/open up alternate routes. Reserve in column 3 to commit where needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas J
msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe rifle grenades go to an individual on map squad (as mentioned 6:53 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_xMPIckzM0).

Im also setting this game up for the first time and got stuck at the comm. allocations. May I ask what phone is used by the 1Sgt in your setup? I dont see that they get a radio/phone in the OOB for Normandy.

If didn't miss something here, how is the 1Sgt supposed to get activated from the CO HQ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
minke wrote:
I believe rifle grenades go to an individual on map squad (as mentioned 6:53 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_xMPIckzM0).

Im also setting this game up for the first time and got stuck at the comm. allocations. May I ask what phone is used by the 1Sgt in your setup? I dont see that they get a radio/phone in the OOB for Normandy.

If didn't miss something here, how is the 1Sgt supposed to get activated from the CO HQ?

The 1SGT doesn't get a phone in the normandy campaign! Threw me off the loop in my first game and i played as if he had a phone with him.
Basically, he needs to ride shotgun with the CO or the XO, or you need to use runners to activate him. Or grab a radio from a fallen leader.

Possibly he can also be activated if he's next to a platoon hq with a radio/phone and thus in command, but i'm not quite sure if it works that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the original poster still wants answers. I'm no expert, but here's my take:

Quote:
Radios are pointless in WW2, right?

Wrong! Radios are essential in missions like Mission 3 and 4, in which there is no Staging Area and you want arty support. Arty forward observers can only connect phones to a Staging area. See 4.3.3. That's because

Quote:
Also is it all phones/all radios for a mission?

Yep! So if you want an Arty or Mortar FO who's calling in Fire to the Batallion HQ on the Arty FD or MTR FD, they have to use the same signalling the rest of your company uses: radios or phones. With no Staging Area, they'll have to use radios -- or I suppose you could just leave them out of command and use phones, but that means no fire support.

Also, radios have some advantages over phones. You get only 4 phone lines with phones, and they can break. Radios can go anywhere. The larger SCR300 works great. Even the lowly SCR-536 (then called a "handie talkie", to distinguish it from larger radios known as "walkie talkies"), which doesn't work under cover markers, still works along LOS, which can be three cards away depending on terrain -- but you've got to get out of cover to use it. Still, Runners make surprisingly good communications tools, and pyrotechnics can too.
Quote:

Rifle Grenade (Has to be assigned to a squad?), 2 Phone Lines (HQ) (Could squads carry?).

"No" and "yes" respectively, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.