BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games you bought based on reviews that you didn't pan out rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 'cause_we_don't_gripe_enough [+] [View All]
Ralph Meleti
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
What are some games you or someone bought based on reviews that you were disappointed by?

For me personally it was years ago when I got into the hobby and bought Cutthroat Caverns recommended by SU&SD. Almost bought Cry Havoc based off Dice Tower review but a friend picked it up so I didn't, our play group didn't enjoy that game much and the game pretty much died...

I now still watch reviews to decided whether I will purchase something but I've learned to take reviews from Dice Tower and SU&SD with tablespoons of salt. My new favourite reviewer is NPI and hope they won't steer me wrong.

PS: Do you guys have board game cafes/library/hobby shops that let play some of the hot or latest games before you decide whether you want to own the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting and playing a number of SU&SD games (most notably String Railway and Ladies and Gentlemen), I realized that they are entertaining content producers, but their opinions arent worth much of anything. At least with the Dice Tower, they make so many videos that you can get a feel for their preferences and normalize to say, oh, he likes this because x,y,z, so I probably wont. I think maybe just how over-the-top enthusiastic SU&SD gets makes a lot of humdrum games look really awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Above & Below. Sure it’s really pretty, but I think the reviewers probably didn’t play it very many times. Some fairly broken strategies emerge after just a few plays that ruin the balance and strategic interest in playing enough that I gave the game away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
Good thread. Always nice to vent. I started researching my purchases heavily about 3 years ago, and have only bought one game since then that is truly a bad game - Zombicide: Black Plague. It is a cooperative game that after you search through the equipment deck, the underlying math behind your attack power means there is really no way to lose unless you try. The most tedious experience I have had in the last few years of gaming. Tons of really positive reviews, but looking back a lot of those were "everything is awesome" reviews and any issues can be "easily" fixed with houserules. There were some older comments that if I had searched better, others flagged this huge issue. Live and learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Above & Below. Sure it’s really pretty, but I think the reviewers probably didn’t play it very many times. Some fairly broken strategies emerge after just a few plays that ruin the balance and strategic interest in playing enough that I gave the game away.

+1

Also Escape: The Curse of the Temple. Rahdo's review made it look amazing and I didn't have any other real-time games, so I gave it a shot. It provided a few good games with the family, but I didn't care for it with 2, and also felt it fell victim to quarterbacking waaaaay too often.

Note: I have nothing against Rahdo. He also led me to getting Finca, Castles of Burgundy, and others that I truly enjoy. I've just learned to take all reviewers' opinions with tablespoons of salt (as OP said).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XTrueFinale wrote:

PS: Do you guys have board game cafes/library/hobby shops that let play some of the hot or latest games before you decide whether you want to own the game?

One of my LGS's has opened store copies of games.

I always knew OF Takenoko but never played it, until one day we were undecided on what to play next so we scanned the store's games.

I wound up buying 2 copies of Takenoko from the store that same day (one for me and one for my niece). Really fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the premise, but I'd generally suggest it's because I bought a game without doing enough research.

I like both the Dice Tower and SU&SD but not all of their recommendations align with my taste or the people I game with. That said, there are plenty of other sources to ensure you can get a more balanced point of view on a game.

Now that all said there are some games I don't love as much as other people even after reading heaps of varied opinions, but they tend to be ok games. It's also possible for games to fall flat with particular play groups I would have thought they would have worked well with, but it's generally just an issue of finding the right people to play the game with.

On the other side of the coin, there has been the odd game I avoided as I didn't think I would like it after checking multiple reviews and turned out to actually really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork

The biggest "WTF BGG" I have seen to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Tigris snd Euphrates. What a stiff. An abstract that's high on the brainburner and abstract scales and low on the fun scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orleans. For the life of me I don't understand that game's rating at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting...
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I knew better, I saw an Undead Viking review for Transylvania: Curses & Traitors. He said it was a lot of fun. He was wrong-- that game is pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ry Scales
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit

Saw reviews, everyone raving about it. Got it, don't get the hype
So traded it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Rouser
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Before I knew better, I saw an Undead Viking review for Transylvania: Curses & Traitors. He said it was a lot of fun. He was wrong-- that game is pretty bad.

Undead Viking would say getting kicked in the groin was fun for $2 and a ham hock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:

Lance is a great guy to sit down, have a drink with, and talk about the hobby. He's a terrible reviewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.

Having played both, I would agree. TI3>>>>>Ecclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that stands out for me is Jamaica, though it wasn't a review, I bought it because Sam and Zee at Dice Tower both had it in their top 10 games of all time a few years ago.

A pirate theme, nice production, and two reviewers putting it in their top games ever made. Had to be a no brainer.

If I am being harsh I will call it a replacement for Snakes and Ladders, which is not a game I was looking to replace.

If I am being more fair, it's a beautiful-looking game that I would enjoy playing with nongamers. And I'm keeping it for that reason.

My thing is, top ten game of all time? I don't see it.

Anyways, this game, and a few others, taught me to do my research! I don't blame Sam and Zee, I blame me for not doing my homework. Jamaica is actually a good game at what it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
jblomquist wrote:

Having played both, I would agree. TI3>>>>>Ecclipse

Ok, and we have a decent amount of overlap in our highest rated games (and I've really been wanting to try Indonesia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
SUPERHOT Card Game. It's more like superNOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao

Didn't do a thing for me. Played twice and traded it away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
terrangray wrote:
Dixit

Saw reviews, everyone raving about it. Got it, don't get the hype
So traded it

I played Dixit once at a game club. Made me dizzy and queasy .. and didn't find the game play fun at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't watch reviews. I read rulebooks before any purchase. No regrets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrada, I actually saw this on Kickstarter news on Board game breakfast and thought the dice looked cool.

ugh....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Twilight Struggle and Terraforming Mars...

So dissapointed with both of those... if anyone is interested in one of them PM me, they are in almost perfect condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution - Well reviewed and ranked highly on BGG. Evolving animals is a cool theme. After multiple plays it was a dry game where the decisions felt obvious. My girlfriend described it as a game a science teacher would keep in the classroom.

Tales of the Arabian Nights - From the reviews it sounded like a silly adventure filled with laughs. I'm ok with extremely random if it creates fun and funny moments. But, this game is boring, tedius, and take far too long to play. Plus, the game can easily put a player in a passive roll where they get to watch others play their character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.