Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 'cause_we_don't_gripe_enough [+] [View All]
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scythe just never got off the ground for us, despite 3 plays. It felt very by the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracula (third edition) searched it out. Traded for it, put it on the table for a play and was miserable for the entire game. Traded it away for The U.S. Civil War and did not look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shadowrift was one I was really looking forward to because it seemed to have so much variability and solo play. This was also when I watched Rahdo a lot before he realized he thinks every game is "phenomenal." Heck, I even recommended it on BGG even though I hadn't played it. But once I started playing, had a good deck (it is a deck-builder) where I could take monsters out no problem, then it was pretty much just waiting for the right card to turn over so I could end the game. A bit anticlimactic and one I was not upset to return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was:

King of Tokyo
Small World
Jamaica
Memoir 44

I don't blame the games or the reviewers, I was just new to the hobby and wasn't sure of what I liked. (It turns out that I prefer a bit more depth.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lause
msg tools
The obverse of this question might make for an interesting thread as well: Which game(s) have you purchased IN SPITE OF NEGATIVE REVIEWS and ended up really liking?

For me, the one that springs to mind immediately is Arkham Horror.
That game seems to get a whole lot of reviewer hate...especially in negative side-by-side comparisons with Eldritch Horror and with the new card game...but I just have a really fine time with it!
And I have to admit that I am kinda/sorta wondering if Seafall is really as bad as reviewers say that it is.
(Hoo-Boy! I bet I get a lot of pretty immediate reactions to that last one!
But I DO wonder....)

Any other entries?

Cheers,
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowJack wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Above & Below. Sure it’s really pretty, but I think the reviewers probably didn’t play it very many times. Some fairly broken strategies emerge after just a few plays that ruin the balance and strategic interest in playing enough that I gave the game away.

+1

Also Escape: The Curse of the Temple. Rahdo's review made it look amazing and I didn't have any other real-time games, so I gave it a shot. It provided a few good games with the family, but I didn't care for it with 2, and also felt it fell victim to quarterbacking waaaaay too often.

Note: I have nothing against Rahdo. He also led me to getting Finca, Castles of Burgundy, and others that I truly enjoy. I've just learned to take all reviewers' opinions with tablespoons of salt (as OP said).

Funny, I ordered Finca based off Rahdo and was grossly disappointed. Like you though, I hold no hard feelings. I generally share similar tastes with Rahdo and he has led me to far more games I love than games I've been disappointed by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
It would have to be Sheriff of Nottingham it was recommended by so many reviewers and other people. This game is just mediocre at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, Yspahan has been the biggest disappointment after reading great reviews. It just didn't click with me or my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
- Dead of Winter
- Inis
- Cosmic Encounter
- Arctic Scavengers
- Cash N Guns 1st and 2nd Edition
- Chinatown
- Coup
- Cyclades + all expansions
- Kemet
- Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
- Dogs of War
- Innovation
- King of Tokyo/New York
- Libertalia
- Nexus Ops
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Ra
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- Xia: Legends of the Drift System
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. Didn't even bother mixing in the expansions I bought, just traded it away the moment I realized how the game really works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Evolution - Well reviewed and ranked highly on BGG. Evolving animals is a cool theme. After multiple plays it was a dry game where the decisions felt obvious. My girlfriend described it as a game a science teacher would keep in the classroom.

If you can, try with the Climate expansion. I had the same impressions of Evolution base game after a dozen plays. Climate changed that since the dynamics of the game can easily change. Watching everyone going predator because of a cold climate destroying any food source makes the game far more interesting than the usual "dump food in the watering hole" the base had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
Ok, and we have a decent amount of overlap in our highest rated games (and I've really been wanting to try Indonesia).

Indonesia is rather good although I prefer FCM to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Houle
Canada
Etobicoke
Ontario
flag msg tools
CHEESEHEAD
badge
GO PACK GO
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="MarkyX"]- Dead of Winter
- Inis

- Libertalia

You bought Inis? Wish I knew that would have tried it. You seemed to like Deception, Libertalia and Cyclades while you had them. I think you moved on from them. I have a hard time believing you thought they were bad games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hoolio wrote:
[q="MarkyX"]- Dead of Winter
- Inis

- Libertalia

You bought Inis? Wish I knew that would have tried it. You seemed to like Deception, Libertalia and Cyclades while you had them. I think you moved on from them. I have a hard time believing you thought they were bad games.

I didn't buy Inis. Misread the title. Inis is a great game until one player is close to winning, than turns take forever because everyone is conspiring with each other against one player. Not a fan of games where a good player is punished for being ahead of the pack.

Deception was interesting but it wasn't this amazing social deduction that everyone made it out to be. Cyclades (at least BASE game Cyclades) has major issues that could make the game last over 3 hours. The Hades Expansion did not help the game out one bit, while Titans fixed the issues but still felt too long. Libertalia felt meh after half a dozen plays, still miles ahead of Mission: Red Planet and Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BertramW wrote:
The obverse of this question might make for an interesting thread as well: Which game(s) have you purchased IN SPITE OF NEGATIVE REVIEWS and ended up really liking?

>snip<

Any other entries?

Fifth Avenue is one with less than glowing reviews, ratings, and comments. I love the game and it's one of my favorite of the alea series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huge Goat
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two really stick out for me.

- One Night Ultimate Werewolf

Really tried to give this one a go, since it was so easy to just plop down. Each time the interactions just fell so flat and I tried it with multiple different groups. Just arguing for the sake of arguing, although I concede that some groups can take it to a really fun level. I can only hear "sounds like something a werewolf would say" so many times.

- Blood Rage

I really thought I would like it when the reviews and mechanics came out but again, tried it many times and just kept thinking about other games. Even bought Blood Rage: Gods of Ásgard in hopes it would spice things up a bit but actually made it worse for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first got into the hobby I didn't know of BGG and to be honest, BGG did barely exist. I was also the only one among my friends who bought games. I mostly relied on recommendations from a small local forum (built up mostly by people I didn't really know) and what was said on the online stores (I had to import from Germany since board gaming isn't really a hobby for adults in Sweden even if it is growing). And when I discovered BGG there was not much good reviews out there is I went mostly by the rating and we all know how acurate that is (but I didn't know then). Well, with that said, the worst stinkers for me are:
Agricola
The Scepter of Zavandor
Blokus
Through the Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it in other places, but there are two that stand out to me. All of the hype around Agricola in reviews and BGG built up expectations that the gameplay couldn't sustain. I never found someone to play it with and sold it away without losing too much. I think at the time it was the ranking on BGG and the mentions of Agricola in podcasts that led me to think it must be awesome.

Machi Koro looked really fun in the Watch It Played videos, but it didn't take long to realize that rolling one dice wasn't really all that fun. SOLD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set was my "What is everyone drinking?!?" It felt too much like munchkin for my tastes, I was expecting more dynamic game play due to how Sentinels of the Multiverse plays and for the life of me I can't see why people like the card system. Its very dull and bland. The bosses didn't feel different from one another and that was the most disappointing part (well that and Paizo wanting players to write on the included cards.)

Prior to that Gates of Loyang. The Agricola and Le Havre hype train made this seem like it was going to be awesome and after playing the first two...it fell very....flat. I still have problems trying to get back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
jblomquist wrote:
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.

I've been considering buying Eclipse for the exact same reason, maybe I should think twice about it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle.

I should have done more reading on this one, but the casual reading i did everyone said how great it was. I've never personally hated a game before I met HP:HB. Sure, there are games I don't like, etc...but i really don't like this one on a personal level.

Unfortunately, my mother loves it....so...i'm keeping it until someone makes me a trade offer i just can't refuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knock on wood but ever since I started watching reviews (mostly Rahdo's) I've never been steered wrong yet. Whenever I bought a dud it's because I didn't watch reviews beforehand, to the point that now I'm hesitant to buy/back anything if Rahdo hasn't rambled about it.

I think for me it works because I don't care about his actual opinion of the game, I just want to get a feel for how it plays, which his videos manage to do very well. He might say it's the best thing ever in the final thoughts but if the gameplay didn't convince me I'm not going to buy (for example Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 which was his game of the year and an easy pass for me). JonGetsGames is another one who does good gameplay videos along with reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
Twilight Struggle and Terraforming Mars...

So dissapointed with both of those... if anyone is interested in one of them PM me, they are in almost perfect condition.

Yeah, that is a caveat for BGG rating in general. I should adjust my line of thinking away from, "Hey look a site full of gamers like me! I must buy all of their recommendations." and more toward, "Hey a site full of MTG haters; I may not agree with their game preferences."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeChNoWC wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.

I've been considering buying Eclipse for the exact same reason, maybe I should think twice about it

If you can get together a group to schedule and play TI3, It seems to be a good choice. If you bring it to groups and then decide what to play, I feel Eclipse is better. People ask me to bring Eclipse to meetups. No one ever asks anyone to bring TI3- although, like I said, I do see people setting up scheduled plays of TI3 with sign ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djs326 wrote:
After getting and playing a number of SU&SD games...I realized that...their opinions arent worth much of anything to me.

ftfy!

But to answer OP, there have been several games where I decided to ignore my initial misgivings based on positive reviews, only to learn that I should have trusted my first reaction. I don't think those quite count, but the games that I had no misgivings about based on the reviews, but which ended up falling flat for me were Dice Masters and Wizard Kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.