Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 'cause_we_don't_gripe_enough [+] [View All]
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had this happen.

I am also always aware that all he reviewers I enjoy watching (Rahdo, Dice Tower, SU&SD, Actualol, NPI) all have a somewhat different taste from mine, and I think I have by now well identified where the differences lie for each of them.

I will freely admit that I apparently enjoy a pretty wide variety of games compared to other gamers -- my partner is pickier; he frequently isn't super keen on stuff I buy, whereas I almost always like games he buys.

Of course there are games that reviewers I like watching, as well as BGG, adore, and I don't see the appeal of at all:
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, The Resistance: Avalon...
(bonus points if you spot the theme)
But I have never bought any of them.

The games that I bought that I don't enjoy this much, I didn't do enough research on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.

I used the same reverse logic! It worked out for me. I really enjoy Eclipse.

As for the original question: I used to do this a lot based on ratings or reviewers' opinions when I was new. I still remember the first time I was burned which was by Dominion. Clever game but not for me. I am still working my way back to liking deck builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin tangangco
United States
jersey
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill (2nd edition)
I was an Amazon warrior before I found out about BGG for board game info etc. I wanted to get my friend a board game for Xmas so I went and bought this off Amazon as it was 1000+ reviews at 4 1/2 stars at the time (holy cow!). I watched the gameplay from Tabletop and I guess I liked what I saw at the time. Tabletop is good at making games seem very interesting..

Fast forward, friend brought out the game for us to try. It seemed interesting at the beginning.. But the rules were confusing. The haunt scenario we had included a hidden "traitor" but the game really didn't tell us how to really play the role of a traitor and how fighting worked. I guess it was one of the worse scenarios and granted it was the first playthrough for everyone in the group.. I really tried to scour the rulebook to find out how the designated "traitor" could act the traitor at the time so that they don't reveal themselves through the act of looking through the rulebook. I was so confused. Everyone else tried to look and got confused. I felt so flustered and embarrassed for getting a game that was just so confusing and unappealing and even gave it as a gift for Xmas. gulp They say to take others' opinions with a grain of salt.. It felt like I ate the 1000+ grains of salt as how flushed I became and how my ears went crimson from embarrassment. My girlfriend said it was the first time she's ever seen me look like that. I still feel so angry at myself whenever I see the game box at my friend's place. I would secretly throw it away but my friend only has a few games and would notice it missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor McAusland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Epic PVP: Fantasy

I think if I had read one more review I would have saved myself a lot of grief. I don't agonize when I buy a game that I end up not liking because thankfully the secondhand market for board games is surprisingly lucrative.

But this game...

Frustration is building inside me as I type this out because I think it was one of the biggest let downs for me. I wanted a quick 2 player card game, and I enjoy the concept of smashing together two team decks like AEG's Smash Up. Despite it being a short game, I was BORED. I even felt bad for the person that bought it from me, like I had passed on the videotape from The Ring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lolas wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.

I'm glad it did, but from your ratings it looks like most of your favorite games are more in the ameritrash direction anyway, or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeChNoWC wrote:
jblomquist wrote:

I've been considering buying Eclipse for the exact same reason, maybe I should think twice about it

Yeah, I don't know definitely there are a lot of people who agree with them that it leans more euro, but to me it felt like the combat was always pretty central to everything you did, even if you didn't fight a lot of battles, which wasn't really what I was looking/hoping for. I also have weird taste, but I don't see any other game among your highly rated games that I really dislike, it's a good mix of games that I think are pretty good and games that I think are great with a couple that I think are average peppered in.

But I think the point of my comment, and this whole thread, isn't to completely ignore other people's ratings, it's just to be careful how you use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
number_eight wrote:
For me it was:

King of Tokyo
Small World
Jamaica
Memoir 44

I don't blame the games or the reviewers, I was just new to the hobby and wasn't sure of what I liked. (It turns out that I prefer a bit more depth.)

I believe that is most of the problem right there in reality. Unless your taste 100% align with a reviewer, you simply can't rely on a reviewer loving a game meaning you also will.

Sadly, you have to experience a few misses to really work out what you do and don't like. Once you do, you can generally work out if a game is for you fairly quickly (Although I still find the odd surprise of something working better than I would have thought, or not working as great as it should).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorinbei wrote:
Betrayal at House on the Hill (2nd edition)
I was an Amazon warrior before I found out about BGG for board game info etc. I wanted to get my friend a board game for Xmas so I went and bought this off Amazon as it was 1000+ reviews at 4 1/2 stars at the time (holy cow!). I watched the gameplay from Tabletop and I guess I liked what I saw at the time. Tabletop is good at making games seem very interesting..

Fast forward, friend brought out the game for us to try. It seemed interesting at the beginning.. But the rules were confusing. The haunt scenario we had included a hidden "traitor" but the game really didn't tell us how to really play the role of a traitor and how fighting worked. I guess it was one of the worse scenarios and granted it was the first playthrough for everyone in the group.. I really tried to scour the rulebook to find out how the designated "traitor" could act the traitor at the time so that they don't reveal themselves through the act of looking through the rulebook. I was so confused. Everyone else tried to look and got confused. I felt so flustered and embarrassed for getting a game that was just so confusing and unappealing and even gave it as a gift for Xmas. gulp They say to take others' opinions with a grain of salt.. It felt like I ate the 1000+ grains of salt as how flushed I became and how my ears went crimson from embarrassment. My girlfriend said it was the first time she's ever seen me look like that. I still feel so angry at myself whenever I see the game box at my friend's place. I would secretly throw it away but my friend only has a few games and would notice it missing.

Although it's only an OK game, it unfortunately seems as not being clear on the rules ruined this one for you.

I've seen many games sink due to at least not one person in the group being clear on the rules. The combat is clearly explained in the rules for this game (It even explains these are the rules that apply after the haunt begins etc). In short you get to roll your dice for the attribute being used as does the opponent, the difference of pips is the damage the loser takes to their physical or mental stats (dependant on attack type), if any stat is moved onto the skull after the haunt begins that character is dead.

Whilst there are a few buggy Haunts (I'm not sure which one you are talking about), it sounds like there were problems with even that aside.

I'm not sure it's fair to blame ratings or reviews not aligning with you if the game isn't learnt and played correctly. I can't think of many games where they are fun under that parameter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Bryan
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwater Crown (I bought this due to a video from Man vs Meeple). I was seduced by the theme but I didn't like this game after a couple of plays. I feel that they sometimes are too subtle or generous on their reviews and barely express any criticism. They have a good system going on, but as reviewers they should be more critical and impartial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
majagua wrote:
Coldwater Crown (I bought this due to a video from Man vs Meeple). I was seduced by the theme but I didn't like this game after a couple of plays. I feel that they sometimes are too subtle or generous on their reviews and barely express any criticism. They have a good system going on, but as reviewers they should be more critical and impartial.

Jeremy in his first run was known for his productions values, but he wasn't a strong reviewer. He and the other guy do tend to be a bit on the glowing side for their reviews. Kind of why I was surprised they sort of downplayed Altiplano.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renuka Govind
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trambahn was a game my husband got for us seeing Rahdo's review on it. Don't get me wrong we love Rahdo's view and generally the game he likes are the ones we like.
But Trambahn just irritates me. Yes, its a light game - its quick but I rather play Tides of Madness.

Raptor, this was after seeing DT's awesome review on it.
We both didn't think its a bad game, but it just didn't click.

Lesson learned, check BGG written reviews and comments before getting a game.

XTrueFinale wrote:
PS: Do you guys have board game cafes/library/hobby shops that let play some of the hot or latest games before you decide whether you want to own the game?

Tokyo seems to have a few that you rent the place for a day and play any game the cafe offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Bryan
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
majagua wrote:

Jeremy in his first run was known for his productions values, but he wasn't a strong reviewer. He and the other guy do tend to be a bit on the glowing side for their reviews. Kind of why I was surprised they sort of downplayed Altiplano.

I agree. That is the first time that I really see them openly make some criticism towards a game. But, that's what they should do in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flatline42
United States
California
flag msg tools
MarkyX wrote:
- Dead of Winter

So I'm a huge Battlestar Galactica board game fan. I find The Resistance to be fun, Resistance Avalon fun, and in general Dead of Winter seemed like it was *precisely* up my, and my group's alley.

Played it two or three times and all of the fun, tension, and enjoyment that we found in BSG and Resistance et al was missing out of Dead of Winter.

Instead of a taut game where you are hanging on by fingernails and making agonizing decisions, the game immediately from turn 1 turned into a death spiral you couldn't recover from. I mean, I guess it captured The Walking Dead despair pretty well, but as a game I felt it was a waste of time.

Never went back to it. I don't know how people enjoyed the game as much as they did when it came out. The challenges seemed almost impossible to complete. In 2-3 games we only managed a handful of challenges and basically the game never gave anyone a chance to win. Just TPK over and over again, even when we were all cooperating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest one is Cry Havoc. It was (still is) a BGG darling so I picked it up. I found the game completely unfun. Unlike other players I didn’t see any real balance issue I just found the game so boring and tactical with no real overarching strategy behind the decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin tangangco
United States
jersey
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:

Although it's only an OK game, it unfortunately seems as not being clear on the rules ruined this one for you.

I've seen many games sink due to at least not one person in the group being clear on the rules. The combat is clearly explained in the rules for this game (It even explains these are the rules that apply after the haunt begins etc). In short you get to roll your dice for the attribute being used as does the opponent, the difference of pips is the damage the loser takes to their physical or mental stats (dependant on attack type), if any stat is moved onto the skull after the haunt begins that character is dead.

Whilst there are a few buggy Haunts (I'm not sure which one you are talking about), it sounds like there were problems with even that aside.

I'm not sure it's fair to blame ratings or reviews not aligning with you if the game isn't learnt and played correctly. I can't think of many games where they are fun under that parameter.

It has been a long time since we tried this game. I don't remember the event so much as I personally try not to remember such events. The scenario was similar to a Saw series scene. Something about waking up and having to go get keys spawned in various parts of the house before a number of turns end. The "hidden" traitor has to stop them. I don't see it in the haunt book in BGG unfortunately. I am sure it isn't scenario 45. There were no monster spawns and it was just us mainly trying to get to the keys scattered at the 1st and 2nd floor of the house.

We saw the part about attacking and such but it just felt so dumb. First, the traitor had to deal with 1-5 other players with what they had. That was just a clear sign that they're the traitor. That was what was confusing. Second thing I remember is that the only other way the traitor could have won was stealing all the keys before everyone else. But when a person tries to get close to the location of a second key after obtaining their own screams out traitor. This isn't even remotely fun in the traitor's shoes. I am sure there are other small details that I don't remember but this scenario was so confusing. We were essentially moving from wherever we were to the closest key we claimed while warning each other not to come close to it or else they're the traitor.
To be fair to the game, I read through those other scenarios in the book and they seem much better than what we've played.

Like you said, It's an OK game that had some "buggy" haunts. For me, It's a game I "bought based on reviews that didn't pan out"even with the 1000+ 4&1/2-5* reviews in Amazon at the time.
We have played Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and we understood the rules just fine. It did the "hidden traitor" mechanic really well whilst Betrayal didn't for our playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorinbei wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:

It has been a long time since we tried this game. I don't remember the event so much as I personally try not to remember such events. The scenario was similar to a Saw series scene. Something about waking up and having to go get keys spawned in various parts of the house before a number of turns end. The "hidden" traitor has to stop them. I don't see it in the haunt book in BGG unfortunately. I am sure it isn't scenario 45. There were no monster spawns and it was just us mainly trying to get to the keys scattered at the 1st and 2nd floor of the house.

We saw the part about attacking and such but it just felt so dumb. First, the traitor had to deal with 1-5 other players with what they had. That was just a clear sign that they're the traitor. That was what was confusing. Second thing I remember is that the only other way the traitor could have won was stealing all the keys before everyone else. But when a person tries to get close to the location of a second key after obtaining their own screams out traitor. This isn't even remotely fun in the traitor's shoes. I am sure there are other small details that I don't remember but this scenario was so confusing. We were essentially moving from wherever we were to the closest key we claimed while warning each other not to come close to it or else they're the traitor.
To be fair to the game, I read through those other scenarios in the book and they seem much better than what we've played.

Like you said, It's an OK game that had some "buggy" haunts. For me, It's a game I "bought based on reviews that didn't pan out"even with the 1000+ 4&1/2-5* reviews in Amazon at the time.
We have played Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and we understood the rules just fine. It did the "hidden traitor" mechanic really well whilst Betrayal didn't for our playthrough.

I much prefer BSG myself.

Mileage will vary with House on the Hill because as you've noted the Haunts aren't all equal quality. Most of the time though it has proven to be a fun game. Balanced... it can be, but often not.

Ultimately I don't disagree with the ratings for this game and if you're massively away from them I'd suggest that it's due more to one sub-par experience than the game as a whole.

That's not to say that people that have played the game with me haven't liked it. Last time I played with my 2 nieces (5 and 6) and their parents and my wife most really loved it, but my wife said she prefer not to play this one again (She's played it 4 times in total, different haunts and rates it a 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegre wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set was my "What is everyone drinking?!?" It felt too much like munchkin for my tastes, I was expecting more dynamic game play due to how Sentinels of the Multiverse plays and for the life of me I can't see why people like the card system. Its very dull and bland. The bosses didn't feel different from one another and that was the most disappointing part (well that and Paizo wanting players to write on the included cards.)

I just found two negative reviews for the game system a few days ago, including one by SU&SD. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

But Wait, There's More! for me: was much praised by the DT crew to the point of replacing Snake Oil: there was so much enthusiasm for it that I said a friend could have my copy of Snake Oil when BWTM arrived. Oops.

But Wait There's More was so far from fun for us that we were glad to put it back in the box and I sold it soon after, happy to take a loss just to be rid of it. Fortunately, I've since been reunited with my copy of Snake Oil which - for me - is still the best game in the 'pitch' genre.

I'm sure there are other examples but that's the one that stands out. I've come to find that the GameBoyGeek's tastes most closely match my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Moon
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rank 6 - Terraforming Mars

Overrated game that's not even strategic. It just plays itself, simplistic game with obvious decisions. I really can't understand the hype. I suspect the cool thematics is what's pulling it through.

Rank 79 - Forbidden Stars

Over bloated but pretty game that is more more complicated than it needs to be. Full of filler trash.

I've plenty of other misses, but they're further down the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Doe
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkyX wrote:
- Dead of Winter
- Inis
- Cosmic Encounter
- Arctic Scavengers
- Cash N Guns 1st and 2nd Edition
- Chinatown
- Coup
- Cyclades + all expansions
- Kemet
- Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
- Dogs of War
- Innovation
- King of Tokyo/New York
- Libertalia
- Nexus Ops
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Ra
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- Xia: Legends of the Drift System

You really need help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jblomquist wrote:
lolas wrote:
jblomquist wrote:

I'm glad it did, but from your ratings it looks like most of your favorite games are more in the ameritrash direction anyway, or am I missing something?

I like a wide range of games but don't get to play as many Euros as I would like because of my usual game partners. Buying Eclipse was a small push towards the Euro side that we could all enjoy.

BTW: A few of your highly rated Euros are on my wishlist and Asgard is one of my unplayed games of shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Eriksson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Vinhos Deluxe Edition. I just did not get it. I did a lot of research everyone liked it. But I just hated the game it just plays itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
majagua wrote:

Trusting Man vs Meeple with their reviews is like trusting the Shopping Channel "reviewers"

They say everything is good. It's one of the reasons why I don't watch their videos anymore despite their excellent production values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jedo1 wrote:
MarkyX wrote:
- Dead of Winter
- Inis
- Cosmic Encounter
- Arctic Scavengers
- Cash N Guns 1st and 2nd Edition
- Chinatown
- Coup
- Cyclades + all expansions
- Kemet
- Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
- Dogs of War
- Innovation
- King of Tokyo/New York
- Libertalia
- Nexus Ops
- One Night Ultimate Werewolf
- Ra
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- Xia: Legends of the Drift System

You really need help.

Says the man with 200 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Carcassonne - Too simple.
Lords of Waterdeep - Too balanced. When most spaces & moves give equal points per resources, you have a worker placement game with more spaces than workers.
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island - Almost great. Not bad. But I would rather play other games of equal length & complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.