Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lolas wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
lolas wrote:
jblomquist wrote:
Mine is really entirely my fault, I was trying to be a bit too clever I think. I bought Eclipse based on comments made by Tom Vasel and Sam Healey. Basically I got the impression that they didn't like it because it was too euro-y and felt like a spreadsheet. This sounded great to me, but it turns out I hated the game. If anything I find it not euro-y enough. My impression from reading the rules and watching playthroughs of TI3 that would be the better game for me, and a guy I trust who's into pretty similar games to me has even said recently that he prefers Twilight Imperium.

I used the same reverse logic! It worked out for me. I really enjoy Eclipse.

I'm glad it did, but from your ratings it looks like most of your favorite games are more in the ameritrash direction anyway, or am I missing something?

I like a wide range of games but don't get to play as many Euros as I would like because of my usual game partners. Buying Eclipse was a small push towards the Euro side that we could all enjoy.

BTW: A few of your highly rated Euros are on my wishlist and Asgard is one of my unplayed games of shame.

Ah, ok, fair enough, that seems like a good use of Eclipse. Definitely play Asgard, it's great. As long as you have four players. Three is ok but loses a bit, and it seems like two wouldn't really work. But it's definitely euro, so watch out with those friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up: Munchkin

Each and every card made you refer the rulebook.
EVERY.DAMN.CARD.

shake thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers - too long for what it is. Very boring and not challenging.
König von Siam - nail-bitingly tense, challenging, yet ends in a tie? Not my thing (and yes, I've been informed that's the point of the game, but I don't play games to win the tiebreaker conditions--not for me)
Machi Koro - super high expectations and the game, while somewhat exciting just ends.....not my thing..
Biblios - no clue what I was doing or why, even though it was explained to me. Not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and 7 Wonders were 2 games I bought based on reviews and they didn't really suit me.

The reviewers who introduced me to my favourite games were Undead Viking and Joel of DriveThru Reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy
I'm gonna give it a couple more chances as long as it's in my collection, but was not expecting the game to be so incredibly solitaire and dry and just end completely anticlimatically with nothing you could do. I feel like any amount of research would've told me this though so I blame myself. I just knew it was reviewed well and looked pretty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominiongulp

Boring, and imo overrated because of nostalgia and being "the first."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Bryan
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:
Roll for the Galaxy
I'm gonna give it a couple more chances as long as it's in my collection, but was not expecting the game to be so incredibly solitaire and dry and just end completely anticlimatically with nothing you could do. I feel like any amount of research would've told me this though so I blame myself. I just knew it was reviewed well and looked pretty.

I have to disagree on this. Why solitaire and dry? I think this game is pretty fun, and it plays so fast! Also, it plays well at all player counts. I understand if you wouldn't like the theme, etc. but I just don't see how this game could be solitaire. I mean, every turn you have to be figuring out what would be your opponent's next move so you can also attemp to fulfill an extra/s action/s. The player that better predicts the opponents moves will be able to accomplish much more and will end up wining. That interaction makes the game pretty fun to me and engaging. The simultaneous action selection makes the game play really fast and helps you keep track of what opponents are doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of New York

I think there was some hype factor in it being a "better" version of King of Tokyo. Bought it, played it a couple times, wasn't terrible or anything.

But I just never want to play it over other games of its weight and length. King of Tokyo isn't my favourite game or anything, but it fills its role a lot better than New York.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Montanes-Lleras
Colombia
Bogota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was Onirim (second edition).

I decided to get mainly because it was consistently included in most best solo games lists, particularly Zee García's.

While I think it is a well designed game that plays very well solo, and therefore understand why so many people like it, it is definetively not my cup of tea: Too abstract and mechanic for my taste.

I got it for Christmas last year and I have not played it since January, so I might give it to my sister, who loved it from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arydis4 wrote:
I've said it in other places, but there are two that stand out to me. All of the hype around Agricola in reviews and BGG built up expectations that the gameplay couldn't sustain. I never found someone to play it with and sold it away without losing too much.
I'm confused by your comments. What gameplay are you referring to if you never found anyone to play it with?

If you've only played it solo then yes, I agree, that's not particularly fun. The "hype" is all centered around the tense multiplayer worker placement competition. If you never got to experience that, then you'll never understand the praise for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Young

Springfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm, I’m not going to single out reviewers here because, by and large, they provide a great service that requires a lot of free time...all to help me make a better informed decision.

But the games are:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Smallworld
Shadows Over Camelot
King of Tokyo
Macao
Progress: Evolution of Technology
Rolling Freight

...all within a year or so of entering the hobby. Lately, however, I’ve rarely been wrong. Guess I’m learning more and more about what I like and dislike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo's reviews on all Kickstarters.

Seriously though, the games are still in development half of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 people I know sold their KDM games. I can't blame them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Broeren
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
blackmeeple wrote:
The one that stands out for me is Jamaica, though it wasn't a review, I bought it because Sam and Zee at Dice Tower both had it in their top 10 games of all time a few years ago.

A pirate theme, nice production, and two reviewers putting it in their top games ever made. Had to be a no brainer.

If I am being harsh I will call it a replacement for Snakes and Ladders, which is not a game I was looking to replace.

If I am being more fair, it's a beautiful-looking game that I would enjoy playing with nongamers. And I'm keeping it for that reason.

My thing is, top ten game of all time? I don't see it.

Anyways, this game, and a few others, taught me to do my research! I don't blame Sam and Zee, I blame me for not doing my homework. Jamaica is actually a good game at what it does.

I had the exact same experience with Jamaica, but fortunately was able to play it before purchasing it. I was really excited and it just fell flat on the table. What a boring game! I agree with your harsh statement of calling it a nice looking Snakes & Ladders because that's what it is imho.

King of New York also didn't lived up to my expectations but I think I haven't found the right group for it yet. I give it another shot or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You people should use the geekbuddy feature of BGG. I follow the comments of people who provide great comments on the games they played, independently from the fact that they share the same tastes as me or not.

This provides me with a great and quick overview of a game with uncensored comments, but also an idea of how a given game might be received by people with different tastes from mine. It's useful to know that a game that is right my alley will annoy a certain type of gamer, if for instance player count or theme would have had me playing it with this gamer, for instance.

Anyways about the thread topic, I never had such a disappointment, because I research games very heavily, so I never buy a game based on a single review (although I initially bought games blind, with very mixed results, which brought me to BGG and a reasearch-based strategy )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Board Game
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladies & Gentlemen Was one of the biggest disappointments I've had from Shut Up & Sit Down. There's just really no game to it on either side. While it can be fun to play the role of an English society family, you have to have a game there behind it. One of the biggest fails I've had on game day because we all were super excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
debiant wrote:
Ladies & Gentlemen Was one of the biggest disappointments I've had from Shut Up & Sit Down.

I remember "playing" this at a board game cafe. And I agree with you, there just didnt really seem to be a game there at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'rett B
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Architect

Got sucked in by a Rahdo's glowing review. Should have done my homework. Once I looked into other reviews I deducted this one wasn't going to be a good match for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
creationww wrote:
Queen's Architect

Got sucked in by a Rahdo's glowing review. Should have done my homework. Once I looked into other reviews I deducted this one wasn't going to be a good match for me.

Yep, an imbalanced race game, but no conflict, so maybe that's why he loved it. Even-though pretty much every game has conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alextnorris wrote:

Agree. It does seem like something odd is occurring. When every KS he previews = Amazing, incredible and they have hit it out of the park with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
When every KS he previews = Amazing, incredible and they have hit it out of the park with this one.

Because he doesn't run through any game he doesn't like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alejandro velasquez
United States
Bryan
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
"lingered in the twilight of our sun and moon but loved best the stars..."
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Alextnorris wrote:

Agree. It does seem like something odd is occurring. When every KS he previews = Amazing, incredible and they have hit it out of the park with this one.

he isn't paid by anyone if that's what you are implying. He selects the games he wants to review. He has to see something in the game that appeals him in order for him to take the time to review it. He will upfront criticize the game if he needs to. But, before he posts the video, he lets the publishers know what he will say about the game so that they can make the decision on allowing him to post such comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent.

Obviously awesome reviews but I found this genre is not one that I enjoy.

It doesn't suck... it's just that it's not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found I enjoyed Descent far more as a co-op game then as its standard 1vs many. I've not tried it with the app but we're having a great time with Forgotten souls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toxica
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Voyages of Marco Polo it got fairly good reviews and the general buzz at the time on bgg was also very promising. It was the most boring boardgame expierence I ever had. Thought to myself okay maybe I am missing something here. Gave the game 8 more plays with various playercounts and it still did not get better.

Now it stays on my shelf as a reminder to not buy into all the hype

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.