Subject: Innovative gameplay, somewhat limited strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Dutton
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
First, I'll have to say that the components in this game are of a good quality. The island tiles are sturdy cardboard, and the game tokens are a study plastic. The cards are possibly not playing card quality, but are sturdy enough that they aren't going to fold or tear under normal use.

The game is innovative in that all the players are united in a common goal. I know there are many cooperative games now, but when I got this game some time back, it was one of the first I owned which operated in that manner.

You win as a team or lose as a team. The team is trying to recover four treasures from an island and evacuate it before it sinks. Game tiles can potentially sink in two steps as "flood" cards are drawn which have the names of individual game tiles on them. In practice, it is not easy to let an important game tile sink. Only a rare game event which causes the flood cards discard pile to be shuffled and placed on top of the other flood cards give this much chance of happening. Otherwise, smart players are positioning themselves in good spots to "shore up" flooded island tiles and keep themselves high and dry.

A group of us who had mostly never played this game before played it three times on Christmas day, and won all three games, never really getting into trouble. Potentially, we could have started at a higher difficulty level where more flood cards are used, and that might have made things a bit more dicey.

However, the strategy for each game is going to be remarkably similar, so once you have the basics of that strategy down, there isn't going to be a lot of variation in how each game plays out. Therefore the game would get old in a hurry with repeated play in a short span of time. It might be fine to haul out every few months, though. I'm certainly not unhappy that we got it. It gave us a cooperative pursuit we could engage in with our granddaughter, as opposed to me having to clean her clock at Battleship, for example. LOL

As I write this, the price on Amazon is a bargain at under $12 for a game with high quality components in a metal box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vranger wrote:
...Therefore the game would get old in a hurry with repeated play in a short span of time. It might be fine to haul out every few months, though. I'm certainly not unhappy that we got it. It gave us a cooperative pursuit we could engage in with our granddaughter, as opposed to me having to clean her clock at Battleship, for example. LOL

As I write this, the price on Amazon is a bargain at under $12 for a game with high quality components in a metal box.

There is a bit of variation that can be used. There are variant layouts (official and unofficial) that can be found in the files section of the BGG entry for FI. The official ones were included in the German edition but AFAIK nowhere else. "Atoll of Decisions" should provide an extra challenge, and it's an official layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is meant to be really light, it is meant for families and kids. It is like a lighter version of Pandemic, that is why Forbidden Island has limited strategy and the puzzle is always simpler to solve than in Pandemic (or Forbidden Desert, which is an imprivement upon the Forbidden Island system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.