Hide
19 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Annoyances spoil a pretty fun adventure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aries wind
msg tools
I ended up typing a much longer post than I intended in another place and it ended up as a pseudo review, so I'm posting it here too!

We generally enjoyed our time playing this, but very early on some parts of the game quickly began to grind at our enjoyment. It mostly has to do with the action deck.

Every action requires flipping cards off the deck. This deck is also your life (if you run out you lose). This means that if you get lost or go to a dead end you could die as a result.

The clues in this game are realllly cryptic/nearly worthless, so expect to spend a lot of time just wandering, which again, leads to wasting cards/dying

You need to hunt to get cards back but you can only hunt so much in one spot. This means that you are really running out of time all the time.

If you die, you have to restart EVERYTHING, which would be fine in an hour-2 hour game, but this game can go on for 15+ hours before "winning", so it could be super painful to lose. My group all agreed that if they had to start over they would rather never play the game to completion than start from the beginning again.

Our group felt like being forced to stop and go hunt sooo often was basically spoiling any adventure we were having, so we ended up fudging the hunting rules a lot to keep going without wasting too much time doing nothing (every hunt success returned pretty much the whole discard deck for us)

After spending an entire session on some pointless side adventure that lead to nothing but wasted discard piles and a lot of frustration at the worthless clue cards we were getting (and we got clues we thought were important but turned out to be red herrings) we ended up looking up a general idea of where to go. We really liked just the exploration parts, but the whole deck management aspect killed dead any thoughts of doing another curse.

Another unrelated annoyance:
After every play session you need to sort all the cards you used that game back into the box in order. This takes like 10 minutes depending on how long you play, but mostly it just gets insanely tedious (And hunting for card 342, and now card 219 and now card 37 also gets insanely tedious) This game has way too much card sorting. I feel like we spent almost 1/4 of our play sessions getting certain cards out of the box.

In the end it was a good idea and fun to play but the stuff you have to put up with to play it outweighed the fun parts. My coworker said it would work much better as a computer game (and i agree), but then again this kind of thing already exists on the computer (its an entire genre of computer games)

In conclusion: Enjoyed the one run, wouldn't do another. Anyone want to buy a 7th Continent set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always use the 777 card (easy mode), so you can effectively die once without having to restart.

I also found that when we did have to restart things went so much quicker, as we knew what we needed to do - so if it took 5 hours of exploration to get to one point it might only take an hour or two the second time.

In the new version coming out next year, there's also an immortal mode which I imagine will take a lot of pressure off survival. I assume that was in response to some people finding it too much about survival instead of exploration.

I'm glad you did enjoy the exploration
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many, many people ran into wandering around aimlessly due to missing the very obvious map on the VG clue. Some found it annoying, some didn't and were happy once they realized what they had missed. I've tried the VG three times and have finally made it to the end, but not raised the curse. I expect it will take me 2-3 hours to make it back there, but there is still a lot of interesting things still unexplored along the way.

I fully expect that there will be people this game is not a good fit. The card management is critical to success and if you don't enjoy optimizing your interactions with the deck, definitely sell the game.

BTW, when putting cards back, I usually sort them first, then put them back. Makes flipping go faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
msg tools
Spoilers for voracious goddess solution:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
so we followed the map until we found the statue missing the eyes... then thats where we got stuck. with no clues for where to find the eyes we wandered underground by breaking the bell(waste of time) , and then wandered into a snow zone where we found an ice castle that we couldnt enter (waste of time). This wasted like 2-3 sessions (1 a week) at which point people got tired of random wandering and we looked up where the general locations of the eyes were

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the hunts (of course) and the tedious aspect of fetching cards, but not with the rest of the review. It's a survival game. You have to be close to death all the time for it to make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I think as others have pointed out, this game is more of a survival game than an exploration game. The hand management is a mechanism that some people just don't like. This is the type of "negative" review I find helpful. Pointing out what you found as an issue that others might not mind or even like.

If I didn't have it coming, I might contact you about buying the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
msg tools
Serious Poulp describes it like this: "The 7th Continent is a cooperative exploration and survival board game."

It's not solely a survival game, and i'm surely not the only one who will be frustrated that they can't just wander around and explore without constantly having the "Yellow Warrior Needs Food!" announcer interrupting me.

To me it felt like it could be "Myst" in a box, and Myst had no actual danger to the player at basically any point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arieswind wrote:
Spoilers for voracious goddess solution:
so we followed the map until we found the statue missing the eyes... then thats where we got stuck. with no clues for where to find the eyes we wandered underground by breaking the bell(waste of time) , and then wandered into a snow zone where we found an ice castle that we couldnt enter (waste of time). This wasted like 2-3 sessions (1 a week) at which point people got tired of random wandering and we looked up where the general locations of the eyes were

Response to your spoiler:

So when you prayed at the Goddess statue without the eyes, did you get a
response? If you had neither of the eyes, you should have gotten a pretty detailed clue that tells you where each crystal can be found. I understand if things are a bit cryptic and maybe you missed it, but there most certainly is a clue.

Reason I asked about whether you had any crystals is that apparently if you go with just one eye, you don't get a clue which seems strange to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
msg tools
so we figured we needed the eyes to solve the curse, but we were afraid that if we tried to activate it without the eyes we would be instantly killed or some other kind of horrible tragedy... so we never activated it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Semijawa
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's part of the fun to look up the new cards you discover. It makes it more special that you discover something new. Sure putting everything back afterwards takes a bit of time, but it's a lot fsster than may other board games to clean up.
The 7th continent is bassd on Choose your own adventure books and I say its a lot less harsh on letting you die than some of those books where one wrong turn kills you instantly and you have to start all over again and those often don't give you a short cut to get back where you got killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
msg tools
those books dont take 20 hours to play to completion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
arieswind wrote:
Serious Poulp describes it like this: "The 7th Continent is a cooperative exploration and survival board game."

It's not solely a survival game, and i'm surely not the only one who will be frustrated that they can't just wander around and explore without constantly having the "Yellow Warrior Needs Food!" announcer interrupting me.

To me it felt like it could be "Myst" in a box, and Myst had no actual danger to the player at basically any point

The "and survival" part, in other words. The second wave KS includes some options for making the game easier; if your group none the less enjoyed, you could look into these as you play some of the other scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
msg tools
That's fine but its kind of too little too late for us. No one really is interested in doing another curse considering all the tedious card hunting and sorting involved (even then we'd already house ruled away most of the 'survival' elements)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't get the "tedious" card hunting aspect.
The cards are organized by number in sections, how long does it take to go to card 253?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
msg tools
first i flip to the 250s, then i have to spend probably 10-15 seconds finding the individual card in the set... sometimes there are multiple of a number so you have to keep flipping, but then you get impatient and flip faster, but go past the card, but then you need to check if theres more than one of the card you need, so you have to go farther back in the other direction... its not long individually but you're generally doing this once per turn which adds up pretty quickly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Tales of the Arabian Nights?
If so how does it compare to that? (as far as "tedium" goes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arieswind wrote:
In conclusion: Enjoyed the one run, wouldn't do another. Anyone want to buy a 7th Continent set?
Post in the BGG Market Place. Gently used copies have sold recently for $170, you should get your money back and have funds left over for something more to your liking.

To enjoy this game:
1) You need to like puzzles.

2) You need to take resource/time management seriously.
a) economize your use of action cards
b) calculate success odds
c) be efficient in pulling spent cards into your hand
d) build and use item cards wisely

3) Maximize your chances for successful hunting
a) Be well equipped
b) Get enough stars to draw 3+ cards if possible
c) Have a plan for storing food received
d) Cook the food

If you find these sorts of tasks completely uninteresting, sell your copy of the game. There are people out there (like my wife and I) for whom this is an greatly enjoyable challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As another pointed out, this won't change your mind but somehow you probably didn't use a banner
at the VG to get the vision clue that leads directly to where both eyes are located

Still, if you're finding the card play too tedious then it's a non-starter. Your group may be trying to do too many actions as I have not experienced hunting to be something that takes more than 20% of my games. I love the exploration aspect too and sometimes I wish I could do more but it really is a race against the clock + survival game. Even with the 777 card you can't mess around too much.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and sorry it wasn't a big hit for your group. I'm sure you'll have no problem getting your money back and the game will find a loving home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.