Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Rulebook.io - Community-curated Board Game Rules Viewer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Camden Bickel
msg tools
Hi! I'm proud to announce Rulebook.io, a project I've been working on in my free time for the past few months. Rulebook.io is an alternative to Googling "[insert game name] rules pdf"... it's a lightweight, easy-to-use board-game rules viewer.

Features:
• Table of contents for jumping to specific sections
• Highlight words for quick definitions (see screenshots for an example)
• Mobile-friendly
• Printer-friendly
• Optimized to load quickly and use minimal data (unlike PDFs!)
• 100% free to use + no advertisements!

Rulebook.io is open-source: Both the website code (https://github.com/camden/rulebook-source) and the rulebooks themselves (https://github.com/camden/rulebooks) are publicly editable.

More information on how to contribute can be found here: https://rulebook.io/how-to-help.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, and/or feedback!

Here are some screenshots:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I say this because this is a fantastic project and I definitely don't want to rain on your parade! Consider this excited feedback

Do you have permission to post the rules for specific games? I'd assume publishers have the rights to that text, so permission should probably be sought.

Do you have a way to handle rulebooks from different versions of games? Sometimes they can differ greatly from edition to edition.

Is there the capacity to add graphics? I find graphics really helpful when I read the rules and, well, honestly the PDFs do at least have that!

Looking forward to seeing this project grow! We could definitely use an 'IMDB' of sorts that's all about rulebooks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal L
Switzerland
Attalens
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same questions as above
And also: is there a way to handle multiple languages of one rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camden Bickel
msg tools
aaj94 wrote:
OK, I say this because this is a fantastic project and I definitely don't want to rain on your parade! Consider this excited feedback

Do you have permission to post the rules for specific games? I'd assume publishers have the rights to that text, so permission should probably be sought.

Do you have a way to handle rulebooks from different versions of games? Sometimes they can differ greatly from edition to edition.

Is there the capacity to add graphics? I find graphics really helpful when I read the rules and, well, honestly the PDFs do at least have that!

Looking forward to seeing this project grow! We could definitely use an 'IMDB' of sorts that's all about rulebooks.

Unfortunately, no, I don't have permission - which I do feel bad about. I'm in the process of figuring out what the best way to ask for permission is - i.e. who to reach out to, how to phrase my request so that it's clear that my site is noncommercial, etc. What do you think?

With regards to different versions of a game, for now my "solution" is to just add a new rulebook. If you have a more elegant solution, let me know!

Yes! Graphics support is already there. The reason that none of the games have images yet is a copyright issue - ripping images from the rulebooks feels like I'm crossing a line. I'm playing around with the idea of making the graphics myself (in a generic way)... unfortunately, it's very time-consuming!

Thank you for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camden Bickel
msg tools
Kisco wrote:
Same questions as above
And also: is there a way to handle multiple languages of one rulebook?

Right now, there's no built-in support. However, if there's enough of a need, I'd be more than happy to add it to the site. For now, I recommend just creating a new rulebook file with some indication that it's in another language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.